Google Has No Plans For Future Nexus Devices

badtoy1986

Reaction score
I am happy to see the good quality camera (according to Dx0Mark). I am also excited about the decent sized batteries. The new Google assistant seems great, however, I am not sure how much it will really be used. Only time will tell. I can completely understand them leaving behind the Nexus line. This will be the new Google experience. They are trying to go with more of an iPhone model with them designing the hardware/software (obviously someone else has to build the device , Apple does it too ala Foxconn). They will be able to have close support since the experience is controlled. I hope the keep the ability to root over time.

I am worried about a couple of things though. Cost being one of them. Maybe it's their own fault, but I can help but think about Nexus device mostly being a good value. I don't understand why this device is so much more expensive than the Nexus 6P. The only think I can think of is built in cost of the 24/7 support. I also foresee people having privacy concerns since they are packaging a way to share your screen directly with Google (not like they don't already know what is there). The other concern I have is them making it too controlled. Making the device locked down like iOS.

Finally, I worry that if the project fails, we will not see another Google made phone. That is my biggest fear.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am happy to see the good quality camera (according to Dx0Mark). I am also excited about the decent sized batteries. The new Google assistant seems great, however, I am not sure how much it will really be used. Only time will tell. I can completely understand them leaving behind the Nexus line. This will be the new Google experience. They are trying to go with more of an iPhone model with them designing the hardware/software (obviously someone else has to build the device , Apple does it too ala Foxconn). They will be able to have close support since the experience is controlled. I hope the keep the ability to root over time.

I am worried about a couple of things though. Cost being one of them. Maybe it's their own fault, but I can help but think about Nexus device mostly being a good value. I don't understand why this device is so much more expensive than the Nexus 6P. The only think I can think of is built in cost of the 24/7 support. I also foresee people having privacy concerns since they are packaging a way to share your screen directly with Google (not like they don't already know what is there). The other concern I have is them making it too controlled. Making the device locked down like iOS.

Finally, I worry that if the project fails, we will not see another Google made phone. That is my biggest fear.
Valid points, I'm interested in the phone, not interested in the price, being on Verizon in going to have to pay full price if I want to root.

If Google can somehow manage to bring down android fragmentation great... I doubt this is it though. Android will hopefully remain open source... If it doesn't something else will come along.

I can already share my screen to chromecast, I'm pretty sure the ability has been there, people are going to be stupid about it regardless. I've got friends who freak out because a text messaging app wants to access their contacts. (/facepalm) basically because the general public doesn't truly understand what the actual permissions mean. Or why they may be required.

Maybe another manufacturer - cough- moto - cough- can pick up the nexus torch, my moto x pure is basically an unbranded nexus with it's stock aosp. Who knows maybe Google would even license it out or something, only time will tell.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

badtoy1986

Reaction score

Great points. I really hope Moto can recover. I was so close to buying one when Google still owned them. Looks like they should have kept them with this being try number two. I ended up deciding not two after the Lenovo acquisition. I'm glad now that I didn't with the quality and support issues as of the the year or two.