Pixel and Pixel XL Devices From The Google Store Are Bootloader Unlockable!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
its-official-pixel-phones-from-google-store-will-be-rootable-with-unlockable-bootloaders.1280x600.jpg

With the death of the Nexus lineup one might assume that root and other mods may become a bit more difficult. It is already known that the Verizon version of the Pixel and Pixel XL will be locked down tight when it comes to the bootloader. This will make it difficult for root on those devices. We do have some good news though. Today Google released a statement that Pixel devices sold through the Google Store will be rootable and bootloader unlockable. While this won't be a Nexus device it is great to see these devices will be developer friendly just like the Nexus devices that we all know and love.

via Android Gadget Hacks

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason to always buy a device directly from the manufacturer.
I'll never buy another phone that I cannot unlock the bootloader.
I love the Nexus 6P. One year in and still working great.

Beardface

Reaction score
Huh, so I wonder if this will relax all the hand wringing about how terrible the devices are and how nobody should buy them?

I'm guessing not

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Huh, so I wonder if this will relax all the hand wringing about how terrible the devices are and how nobody should buy them?

I'm guessing not

I'm waiting for the reviews before I recant my statement. But if the reviews come out and they end up looking good then I'll gladly admit that I was wrong.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I like what I've seen and heard about the device. Will find out when mine arrives. If it's terrible ill just exchange it lol. It's not like I'm unfamiliar with that process now.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

mach330

Reaction score
Will the pixel on vzw be able to use overseas (with overseas SIM card) or other networks? I don't really care about locked boot loader but I do care about being able to use with other network. The locked phrase is confusing me

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Will the pixel on vzw be able to use overseas (with overseas SIM card) or other networks? I don't really care about locked boot loader but I do care about being able to use with other network. The locked phrase is confusing me
The vzw model is supposedly bootloader locked but carrier unlocked meaning it should work on any and all gsm cdma lte etc etc carrier.

Should.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mach330

Reaction score
The vzw model is supposedly bootloader locked but carrier unlocked meaning it should work on any and all gsm cdma lte etc etc carrier.

Should.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Thx. Yeah just read the other thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk