The New Google Phones Will Be Called Pixel and Pixel XL

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Nexus lineup is a favorite of mine and geeks like me. Above all it offers a pure vanilla Android experience without the need to install an AOSP rom. It is also a geek favorite because it's made for developers and as such is easily bootloader unlockable and rooted. As much as I love the Nexus lineup I have to imagine the branding has been a bit confusing, and to be quite frank I was really wondering what kind of name Google would be pulling out of their hat for upcoming devices.

For a while Google was using numbers behind the word Nexus to let us know what the screen size was. Then last year Google called the latest Nexus the 6 even though it had a 5.7" display and then added a P to the end which stood for "premium". I was kind of expecting the Nexus 6P to be called the Nexus 7 even though we had two Nexus 7 tablets prior, but you see how the branding for these devices has become quite confusing.

Google's idea to drop the Nexus moniker may have been one of the best ideas when it comes to consumer awareness. If you are trying to sell new devices you can't have consumers confused about which generation you are selling them. This is why Samsung skipped the Note 6 and went straight to the Note 7. They didn't want people to think that the Note 6 was last year's device since it wouldn't match the numbering scheme of the Galaxy S lineup which was currently at 7.

It appears that Google will call the upcoming devices Pixel and Pixel XL. This works perfectly as it cleans the slate regarding names. They can go forward by simply adding a number behind the name which would just stand for the generation so next year we could simply purchase the Pixel 2.

It has already been speculated that the change to "Pixel" may also mean the end of budget friendly devices from Google. All Pixel devices prior to this have been on the high end pricey side. It would be very surprising if Google did not continue this trend. What do you think? Are you happy with the Nexus branding or do you think it confuses the average joe? Did Google need to change up the naming?

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
I've had two phones for a long time. My trusty Nexus 5, and now, the Moto Z Force Droid. Renaming the Nexus line is a good idea. Change is a good thing, however, at what price? I live on a fixed income, so i can only afford a "new" phone every two years or so. If i can sell my Nexus 5, it will be for the Nexus 6P, not a new Pixel, which will probably be out of my price range. I'll always have a Nexus to give me my "rooting fix", even if it's a low budget fix.:p

mumblemouth1

Reaction score
Ok, isnt their chromebook called pixel... Come on google. you can do better than naming everything pixel