Google Suggesting Warranty Replacement For Failing Mics In Their Pixel and Pixel XL

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-pixel-phone-hands-on-17.jpg

Many Pixel and Pixel XL owners have been reporting a huge problem. They are experiencing failing microphones. When your phone's microphone fails it is essentially useless for important things like phone calls. The cause of this issue may have been identified by Google employee Brian Rakowski who says the issue may be caused by a hairline crack in the solder of the microphone component going to the main board. This causes the primary phone input and two ambient mics to not work properly.

Even though this is a widespread problem, affecting 1% of users so far, Google has not announced a recall on the devices. Instead Google's support team has been instructing users to send the phone back and get a new one under warranty replacement. This is a bit concerning though because if this is an issue in the manufacturing of the phone it means that other device will go bad in a matter of time possibly after the warranty has expired at which point there will be no way for users to get a replacement device. The Note 7 had issues with far less than 1% of devices and was forced to issue a recall and eventually discontinue the sale of the Note 7. It will be interesting to see if Google gives an official response to this hardware issue with the Pixel and Pixel XL.

via Google Support Forum

nickb34

Reaction score
I don't really see the comparison.... bad mic != exploding battery

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't really see the comparison.... bad mic != exploding battery
Yeah. Can't hear me now does not equal phone burned my house down.

No issues with mine yet. Hoping it remains that way. I bought mine barely used on Swappa and did purchase a protection plan, but would rather not have to deal with getting the phone replaced.

R

RETG

"Even though this is a widespread problem, affecting 1% of users so far, Google has not announced a recall on the devices."

One percent equals widespread?
And recalls are usually designated for safety issues (at least thats how the government normally looks at it). Burning phone is a safety issue, no mic is not.
So owners of the phone will not only be screwed if it fails off warranty, but this has to affect the price of the phone when someone tries to sell it used.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
"Even though this is a widespread problem, affecting 1% of users so far, Google has not announced a recall on the devices."

One percent equals widespread?
And recalls are usually designated for safety issues (at least thats how the government normally looks at it). Burning phone is a safety issue, no mic is not.
So owners of the phone will not only be screwed if it fails off warranty, but this has to affect the price of the phone when someone tries to sell it used.

With the exception of the enthusiast community, no one will ever know about a mic failing issue. We are in the vast minority here.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I never read the original post until now. Not sure why the word recall was mentioned and why the Note 7 was mentioned? Two completely different issues and recalls are normally issued for safety reasons. I feel bad for folks that have a failed mic due to hardware issues, but don't see how that's a safety concern that warrants a recall?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I had a friend send hers back in even though it was a week old because of the bad mic issue, but the new replacement is a refurb. Kind of disappointing. Was looking to pick one of these up this summer.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had a friend send hers back in even though it was a week old because of the bad mic issue, but the new replacement is a refurb. Kind of disappointing. Was looking to pick one of these up this summer.
Any time you send a phone in for replacement, you've got a good chance at a refurb. Was it visibly damaged in any way? I got a refurb S4 once and you couldn't tell by looking at it that it wasn't brand new. Functioned just like new too.

As for picking one up this summer, another article I read on this topic said that they fixed the issue on all phones manufactured beginning or just after January, so I don't think you've got anything to worry about if you buy it new.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
They are not referring to the severity of the problem but units affected.

Yes it is not an exploding device, but a microPHONE is a pretty important part in order for a telePHONE to work.

Remember, you use a phone to talk to other other people on and yes a good majority of users use a telephone to call and talk on.

Which means those units will be making their way back to HTC so if even though they are not exploding phones they are phones that will need to be replaced none the less.

As far as safety yes it doesn't explode, but what happens if a user gets in an accident and the phone that would normally work or survive a drop the mic doesn't work when 911 is called. Hopefully they can trace that phones location because the user wouldn't be able to tell them where they are at.

But I do have to get in a I told you so in earlier posts what a rushed fustercluck that Google, HTC , and Verizon were brewing up with this rushed out POS.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Any time you send a phone in for replacement, you've got a good chance at a refurb. Was it visibly damaged in any way? I got a refurb S4 once and you couldn't tell by looking at it that it wasn't brand new. Functioned just like new too.

As for picking one up this summer, another article I read on this topic said that they fixed the issue on all phones manufactured beginning or just after January, so I don't think you've got anything to worry about if you buy it new.

The replacement phone was in good shape, but not brand shiny new. My wife wants one because it looks like an iPhone, but she loves Android so the Pixel is her next phone. I'm waiting for the Pixel 2 with hopefully smaller bezels; my Nexus 6 is chugging along great running PureNexus.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Someone calls 911 in an emergency and they can't be heard, That is a vary big problem!
So, they're an AT&T customer?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/us/att-users-unable-to-call-911.html?_r=0

I would hope, if this is really THAT big of an issue, someone would've told you before you found yourself in that situation that they can't hear you and you'd have found a workaround or gotten a replacement. Otherwise, many places are implementing the ability to text 911, so hopefully you're in one of those areas if you don't have a chance to get the mic fixed before needing emergency services.

I haven't heard yet either if it's a case of people not being able to hear you at ALL or just not able to hear you very well. There's a difference there. 911 operators are trained to make out what people are saying in tense situations and less than perfect background noise scenarios.

And even then, I know for a fact that when you call 911 from an android device, it goes into an "emergency mode" and won't all it to be shut down or disconnected in case they need to call you back. I'd also like to think, if they got a call and couldn't make out anything, that they'd pull up the location of the device and send someone to investigate.

shockracer

Reaction score
So, they're an AT&T customer?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/us/att-users-unable-to-call-911.html?_r=0

I would hope, if this is really THAT big of an issue, someone would've told you before you found yourself in that situation that they can't hear you and you'd have found a workaround or gotten a replacement. Otherwise, many places are implementing the ability to text 911, so hopefully you're in one of those areas if you don't have a chance to get the mic fixed before needing emergency services.

I haven't heard yet either if it's a case of people not being able to hear you at ALL or just not able to hear you very well. There's a difference there. 911 operators are trained to make out what people are saying in tense situations and less than perfect background noise scenarios.

And even then, I know for a fact that when you call 911 from an android device, it goes into an "emergency mode" and won't all it to be shut down or disconnected in case they need to call you back. I'd also like to think, if they got a call and couldn't make out anything, that they'd pull up the location of the device and send someone to investigate.

Sure, they will send an officer to do a person's check. If you call because someone is having a medical emergency this would delay the person getting help.

It's a different type of safety hazard but is a safety hazard. If you live in the country the GPS that Dispatch can get is a lot of times inaccurate, I have dealt with this issue on several occasions.