Google Has No Plans For Future Nexus Devices

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Do you remember back when Google sold OEM phones with their software on board? These Google Play Experience devices featured the hardware of the latest OEM flagship device, and the software from the Nexus lineup. Essentially you got full stock on a device like the Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8. At the time this is really where I wanted to see Google head. This way I could grab the perfect hardware and use the latest version of Android. Those phones were great but they came and went. An end to an era.

The Nexus lineup has always been the same except this time Google had a pretty heavy hand in what would go and what wouldn't go into the final build of the phone. With the release of the Pixel devices you might be wondering when the next Nexus phone will come out. Unfortunately the answer is "not any time soon". Google has announced that they officially have no more plans of releasing a future Nexus device. They will however continue to support Nexus devices.

via @googlenexus

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
As I have 2 Nexus Tablets, Google definitely has not been keeping up with the rest. I used to follow and get the next newest device, not any more for a while.

Sent from my New Note 7

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is sad. I get that they're trying to shift focus, but I don't see why they couldn't maintain both lines as different experiences. I'm already seeing reports that there are Pixel exclusive features that won't be part of the 7.1 update.

So, when the Nexus line finally dies off completely, there will be no stock Android device? Except maybe Moto who still adds a little bit on top?

Or the Pixel features will eventually become Android features? I'm so confused by a lot of this, even though I knew it was coming.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hate that idea but it makes sense. They want the nexus users to adopt the pixel brand phones.

I need to see reviews first as I am ok with holding on to my 6P a little while longer.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
This is sad. I get that they're trying to shift focus, but I don't see why they couldn't maintain both lines as different experiences. I'm already seeing reports that there are Pixel exclusive features that won't be part of the 7.1 update.

So, when the Nexus line finally dies off completely, there will be no stock Android device? Except maybe Moto who still adds a little bit on top?

Or the Pixel features will eventually become Android features? I'm so confused by a lot of this, even though I knew it was coming.
I'm betting that the Pixel features will become Google's standard and we will slowly start seeing those features in Android versions. Maybe?? I could be wrong.... just my assumption.

From The Sexy Note 7♡

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm curious about the "Mayday Feature". This is apparently a Pixel exclusive, I assume? Nothing was mentioned otherwise. Yes, if you haven't heard, you can call on a "Amazon like Mayday" tool from a Pixel and talk to someone at Google 24/7/365. They can view your screen and yadda yadda.
Could this be something that comes to other devices? (I doubt it).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm curious about the "Mayday Feature". This is apparently a Pixel exclusive, I assume? Nothing was mentioned otherwise. Yes, if you haven't heard, you can call on a "Amazon like Mayday" tool from a Pixel and talk to someone at Google 24/7/365. They can view your screen and yadda yadda.
I saw a write-up somewhere about Pixel features vs. actual Nougat features and that Help chat thing was listed as a Pixel exclusive. That makes perfect sense to me. Then, they're staff only have to be familiar with the OS and that particular phone, instead of having to try and support every android phone out there. Let the OEMs deal with issues caused by their add-ons.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I thought I remembered seeing a quick blurb about this on the blog I was following to watch the press conference yesterday. They didn't say much about it, just a quick blurb about dedicated 24 / 7 tech support. I also assumed this was an exclusive feature of the Pixel phone, and not for all Android phones.

I have never owned a Nexus, but have always appreciated the "Pure Android" approach that they were known for. Kind of sad to see that line of phones end. But as the saying goes...all good things must come to an end.

I guess the Pixel line is the new "pure Android" experience and Google's path forward?

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
All a little confusing. It used to be fairly obvious as well as fun to get the next latest greatest device, now - not so much.
Android makes Apple users smile more and more.....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I really cannot get over how much it looks like an iPhone. And the BUILT BY GOOGLE sctick... ugh... pretty sure HTC still put it together. Not even a mention of them? I think most people know Googs didn't just build a smartphone factory...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which I feel more.

Dear Google:

VDW1ZP3_zps162c46d2.gif

Or

FB_IMG_1443289685650_zpsas72m95y.jpg

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I really cannot get over how much it looks like an iPhone. And the BUILT BY GOOGLE sctick... ugh... pretty sure HTC still put it together. Not even a mention of them? I think most people know Googs didn't just build a smartphone factory...
Well, didn't Apple copy HTC designs to make the iPhone 6 in the first place?? Thought I remembered hearing something about Apple hiring their ex-employees and some design spec leaks.

If that's the case, then I see nothing wrong with it. [EDIT] ...oor maybe I'm actually insane and making things up because I cannot find whatever article I thought existed D: [/EDIT]

On a side note, I had no idea Pixel wasn't pure Android. Assumed it was just a rebranding of Nexus.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Was never impressed with nexus phones. Pixel doesn't excite me either.