may have bricked my ota :(

godtuti

Reaction score
i was trying to put tranquilty 2.2.3 on my ota froyo droid x and now i keep battery pulling and i cant get past the m. any help?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you boot into recovery? If you can't, then you'll have to flash the 2.2 sbf file from mdw

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

OP
godtuti

godtuti

Reaction score
Can you boot into recovery? If you can't, then you'll have to flash the 2.2 sbf file from mdw

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

i cant get into clock work but i can get into the sock boot loader and the i can get to the sbf boot loader

Gill248

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I had a rooted 2.2 OTA. Went to install the ROM tranquility and it wouldnt get past the M. So I flashed with an SBF that was a rooted 2.1 and that bricked the phone. couldnt get out of bootloader. I did some reading and found that when you have 2.2 you can not got back to 2.1 this causes the bricking. I even took it to verizon and they could not do anything either. Im getting a new phone i a couple days.

MyDroidWorld - Droid X Owners: DO NOT SBF BACK TO 2.1 FOR ANY REASON AFTER OFFICIAL UPGRADE TO 2.2

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
i was trying to put tranquilty 2.2.3 on my ota froyo droid x and now i keep battery pulling and i cant get past the m. any help?

How many times have you let it try to boot for at least a few minutes, then pulling the battery and reinserting it WITHOUT doing anything (like trying to use the buttons to get into recovery or Bootloader).

In my experiance, after about 4 to 5 times of this, it will boot into Clockwork recovery...

BUT, if you followed some of the instructions I have seen about manually Formatting the system in Recovery and then attempting to Install an Update and the update fails for some reason, and you reboot ....guess what... you system area no longer exists! IMHO, this is a bad practice and is totally unneeded with proper update zips.

This makes it URGENT to curb your excitement of flashing a new update and WATCH the screen carefully... just because it pops back up and looks like the update installed....doesn't mean it did.....read the blue text carefully looking for any mention of errors in the update installation...if there are and you manually formated and reboot...ya got nothing to reboot into!!! If you ever see error like that, do not reboot, go to Backup and Restore area , restore the last backup and contact the DEV of the attempted Update.

In a nutshell, if you did do the Manual "Format System" in recovery (clockwork) and the uodate failed, and you rebooted, you will have to use the custom System SBF.

Just for clarity, you said you couldn't get into the Bootloader Screen?

Are you sure you are doing that right?? Never heard of one not being able to get to the Bootloader, that would make it a REAL Brick.

Just in case there is any missunderstanding of the procedure..

Phone Powered down, Hold down Camera key FULLY (do not release), then hold down the Volume Down key fully (do not release) then the Power Button fully so that all 3 are held down together... in just a second (or less) the screen will flash/flick, release the keys immediately and Bootloader screen should be there. It's nothing fancy just a couple lines of text on upper and middle left of screen.

Let us know....

OP
godtuti

godtuti

Reaction score

How many times have you let it try to boot for at least a few minutes, then pulling the battery and reinserting it WITHOUT doing anything (like trying to use the buttons to get into recovery or Bootloader).

In my experiance, after about 4 to 5 times of this, it will boot into Clockwork recovery...

BUT, if you followed some of the instructions I have seen about manually Formatting the system in Recovery and then attempting to Install an Update and the update fails for some reason, and you reboot ....guess what... you system area no longer exists! IMHO, this is a bad practice and is totally unneeded with proper update zips.

This makes it URGENT to curb your excitement of flashing a new update and WATCH the screen carefully... just because it pops back up and looks like the update installed....doesn't mean it did.....read the blue text carefully looking for any mention of errors in the update installation...if there are and you manually formated and reboot...ya got nothing to reboot into!!! If you ever see error like that, do not reboot, go to Backup and Restore area , restore the last backup and contact the DEV of the attempted Update.

In a nutshell, if you did do the Manual "Format System" in recovery (clockwork) and the uodate failed, and you rebooted, you will have to use the custom System SBF.

Just for clarity, you said you couldn't get into the Bootloader Screen?

Are you sure you are doing that right?? Never heard of one not being able to get to the Bootloader, that would make it a REAL Brick.

Just in case there is any missunderstanding of the procedure..

Phone Powered down, Hold down Camera key FULLY (do not release), then hold down the Volume Down key fully (do not release) then the Power Button fully so that all 3 are held down together... in just a second (or less) the screen will flash/flick, release the keys immediately and Bootloader screen should be there. It's nothing fancy just a couple lines of text on upper and middle left of screen.

Let us know....
let me take a few steps back. i had a froyo leak running then i bricked it so used the sbf and then got to 2.1 . i then ota updated my phone to froyo . i rooted then started flashing roms and themes for the whole day, no issues. i then took stock ota and themed it with your theme then tried to put sense x on it. i couldent get past the m so i then mounted system and flashed tranquility 2.2.3

this was my first mistake. i couldent get past the boot screen or into clock work so i then made a huge mistake and went into the stock recovery and i wiped the phone. i could now get to the tranquilty boot screen but it freezeing and locking up on its boot screen.

what are my options? and yes i can get into sbf recovery screen

cgrimm9

Reaction score
since you updated to the ota 2.2 I believe you are out of luck till there is a full sbf gets leaked to the phone. you could of went to the store and maybe got a warrenty but since the phone will say Tranquility on it. but who knows mess arount a little bit you may get the thing to load.

I installed the tranquility rom for my phone I had to do a battery pull every time I restarted the phone to get it to load. I did everything it told me to when I installed the rom. I went back to my backup. good luck on your long adventure.

OP
godtuti

godtuti

Reaction score
since you updated to the ota 2.2 I believe you are out of luck till there is a full sbf gets leaked to the phone. you could of went to the store and maybe got a warrenty but since the phone will say Tranquility on it. but who knows mess arount a little bit you may get the thing to load.

I installed the tranquility rom for my phone I had to do a battery pull every time I restarted the phone to get it to load. I did everything it told me to when I installed the rom. I went back to my backup. good luck on your long adventure.
is there anyway i could use this

TBH announces Froyo System SBF and RSDLite 4.8

cgrimm9

Reaction score
You have to beable to get the phone loaded in the os to do this you have to turn usb debugging on and have the phone on pcmode for that to work

OP
godtuti

godtuti

Reaction score
You have to beable to get the phone loaded in the os to do this you have to turn usb debugging on and have the phone on pcmode for that to work

cant i just go into the sbf boot loader?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

You missed a day in Android class.... and so did the ones who told you that. Sorry, J/K, couldn't resist :)

That ONLY applies when you are in an operating phone and you want it to REBOOT into the Bootlaoder screen for some odd reason, if you can do those settings you really dont need to SBF anyway...kind of silly IMHO :)

Otherwise, press the puttons on a Powered down phone as previously instructed. This will put the phone into the Bootloader even if there is NO SYTEM... that is why it is there.

Think sort of like Bios Loader on a PC... same thing, it typically comes "preloaded" in the "chips" and no setting (that you and I can get to, not sure about Moto secret codes) in the phone can disable, enable or remove it.

godtuti,

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about. and just to keep things clear so no one gets confused.. there is recovery (either stock or Clockwork)...and Bootloader.. the SBF is used via the Bootloader, not recovery.

The "Custom 2.2 System SBF" that P3 and team graciously made available will fix your issue...AS long as you haven't tried to use the 2.1 Motorola SBF, if so, hang it up and call VZ and try to get a new phone.. I will leave that to you how you describe your issue to them.

FYI, I have tested the P3 custom SBF version on OTA 2.3.15...and when I mean tested, I deleted complete folders from the system area and rebooted on purpose....trust me the phone did not like me doing that....10 minutes later I was activating it after using P3's custom SBF.

Also I have done even more extreme on 2.1...and you can really only do this fast enough wth Android Commander (that I am aware of or have access to).. I litererally deleted EVERYTHING in the Phone's Internal Memory while it was on and working... the screen went black, I pulled the battery, reinserted it... Powered into the Bootloader and reinstalled 2.1 with the Moto 2.1 FULL SBF (as I said do not do this with OTA 2.2, different Bootloader, you could on the leaks, not the OTA)

Pretty extreme, but the 2.2 M boot issue was driving me nuts ever since the first 2.2 leak came out and I had tired everything else.

So, when I hear the work "Bricked my phone" I laugh..because it is nearly impossible to do accidently. With the excpetion of using the 2.1 SBF after an OTA 2.2 Install.

OP
godtuti

godtuti

Reaction score

You missed a day in Android class.... and so did the ones who told you that. Sorry, J/K, couldn't resist :)

That ONLY applies when you are in an operating phone and you want it to REBOOT into the Bootlaoder screen for some odd reason, if you can do those settings you really dont need to SBF anyway...kind of silly IMHO :)

Otherwise, press the puttons on a Powered down phone as previously instructed. This will put the phone into the Bootloader even if there is NO SYTEM... that is why it is there.

Think sort of like Bios Loader on a PC... same thing, it typically comes "preloaded" in the "chips" and no setting (that you and I can get to, not sure about Moto secret codes) in the phone can disable, enable or remove it.

godtuti,

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about. and just to keep things clear so no one gets confused.. there is recovery (either stock or Clockwork)...and Bootloader.. the SBF is used via the Bootloader, not recovery.

The "Custom 2.2 System SBF" that P3 and team graciously made available will fix your issue...AS long as you haven't tried to use the 2.1 Motorola SBF, if so, hang it up and call VZ and try to get a new phone.. I will leave that to you how you describe your issue to them.

FYI, I have tested the P3 custom SBF version on OTA 2.3.15...and when I mean tested, I deleted complete folders from the system area and rebooted on purpose....trust me the phone did not like me doing that....10 minutes later I was activating it after using P3's custom SBF.

thanks for the reply and i used the sbf only to get to 2.1 to get the ota. am i safe?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
thanks for the reply and i used the sbf only to get to 2.1 to get the ota. am i safe?

EDIT: SORRY, I miss read that.... Obviosuly the phone worked when you did 2.2 LEAK to 2.1 SBF to OTA 2.2. right????

Your even said current issue was caused by willy nilly flashing things on top of each other right?

So let concentrate on the now and learn from the past... get the P3 Custom 2.2 system SBF and fix that sucker.

Cheers,

OP
godtuti

godtuti

Reaction score

EDIT: SORRY, I miss read that.... Obviosuly the phone worked when you did 2.2 LEAK to 2.1 SBF to OTA 2.2. right????

Your even said current issue was caused by willy nilly flashing things on top of each other right?

So let concentrate on the now and learn from the past... get the P3 Custom 2.2 system SBF and fix that sucker.

Cheers

fml. is there any talk about a 2.2 sbf soon?