Maxx HD battery stats

jaydub5

Reaction score
No! I use my phone for work... not play. I am constantly emailing, doing
Web based research, and making calls. Have talked with Verizon
Level 2 tech manager... they are sending a replacement.
Phone was getting over one day, now:
24% left at 9 9 hours usage
4 hours, 43 minutes on screen using 69%, at half brightness,
2 hours voice calls,
Sync, background, maps, etc., all stopped.
Very little running in background.
Phone has gradually gone south... did FDR, cleared cache, etc.
Use smart action. Turn off Mobile Data when not using.
Turn off screen when not using.

BTW.. THE CAMERA IS TERRIBLE!

bman6074

Reaction score
I posted a few pages back a bunch of bloatware apps that I disabled with no ill affect, also my smart actions and has helped me get over 30 hours of mixed usage.

jaydub5

Reaction score
Battery

Just got replacement phone.
First charge, after draining to 4%:
1day 9hours 24 minutes
Screen 58%, 8 hours, 11 minutes
Voice 2 hours, 10 minutes

Second charge, drained to 3%:
1 day, 6 hours, 30 minutes
Screen 52%, 1 day, 6 hours, 30 minutes
Voice: 2 hours, 45 minutes

On third cycle now, hope this lasts.

jaydub5

Reaction score
I spoke too soon :

Today... 14 hours, 12 minutes 4% battery left
Screen...60% 7 hours, 31 minutes
Voice....24% 2 hours, 16 minutes
Chrome... 5%

DRASTIC change from 1day, 8 hr
Screen... 43% and 6 hours
Voice 38% 4 hr

Total battery life down. Why? No changes in type of use.

winordieracin

Reaction score
I'm having crazy battery issues as well. It all started the charge after I achieved a two day up time. I recently received a replacement Maxx Hd and I'm not achieving anywhere near the same times I was as far as battery life is concerned. The first phone was having major wi-fi issues. It was showing wi-fi was being used and active for the same amount of time the phone was on battery however it was turned off in the settings with both check boxes in the wi-fi settings menu unchecked. Use percentage for wi-fi was way above the norm. My replacement device is doing the same thing and I have not changed the way I use the device at all. Wierd issues.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Same here. I actually got 2 days and 5 hours with 10% battery remaining this past weekend. It's so sad to hear people complain about battery life on their phones.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

byju9e6a.jpg

Actually, that chart shows several short charging cycles toward the right of middle, possibly due to being connected to a computer USB port for file exchanges.

LIPO batteries gain more actual charge during the middle of the charged cycle for each minute on charge than they do when nearly full, so those short bursts of charging added considerable additional usable power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No! I use my phone for work... not play. I am constantly emailing, doing
Web based research, and making calls. Have talked with Verizon
Level 2 tech manager... they are sending a replacement.
Phone was getting over one day, now:
24% left at 9 9 hours usage
4 hours, 43 minutes on screen using 69%, at half brightness,
2 hours voice calls,
Sync, background, maps, etc., all stopped.
Very little running in background.
Phone has gradually gone south... did FDR, cleared cache, etc.
Use smart action. Turn off Mobile Data when not using.
Turn off screen when not using.

BTW.. THE CAMERA IS TERRIBLE!

Have you tried doing a meter training charge cycling? :D

djspy

Reaction score
I suddenly stated getting bad battery life as well. Last night I did a factory data reset and it's much better.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I spoke too soon :

Today... 14 hours, 12 minutes 4% battery left
Screen...60% 7 hours, 31 minutes
Voice....24% 2 hours, 16 minutes
Chrome... 5%

DRASTIC change from 1day, 8 hr
Screen... 43% and 6 hours
Voice 38% 4 hr

Total battery life down. Why? No changes in type of use.

Draining to single digit levels is a big part of the problem. The phone tells you to recharge at 15% for many good reasons, not the least of which is to prolong the life of the battery. Also, it's more stressful to the battery when is forced to continue providing power at such low voltage levels. Lots of battery problems come from deep discharging, including batteries that simply stop taking a charge. One main problem is it confuses the meter because it's not engineered to provide accurate metering at such low voltage levels and it will rapidly go off track and begin indicating lower battery levels than the actual power left with a given charge.

I would also ask you if when you received the new phone, did you charge it fully to 100% with the POWER OFF - BEFORE you activated it??? If not, I would attribute some of the problems you're experiencing so soon to that as well.

Do a full meter training over two days and never let it drop much below 15% and you'll get the most out of the battery.

Last edited:

djspy

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, the day I started getting bad battery life was the day after I let the phone discharge to 5%. But, I did a full night charge while off and my phone started getting the best battery life as before then I did another full night charge while off and the bad battery life returned. I was hitting 50% at 3 hours of screen time whereas before it would hit 50 at 4-4:15 hours.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Now that you mention it, the day I started getting bad battery life was the day after I let the phone discharge to 5%. But, I did a full night charge while off and my phone started getting the best battery life as before then I did another full night charge while off and the bad battery life returned. I was hitting 50% at 3 hours of screen time whereas before it would hit 50 at 4-4:15 hours.

Not everything in battery life is related to screen time. Yes, screen time is generally the biggest battery hog, but not always. There are LOTS of factors that can influence the overall battery endurance and create what is perceived to be poor performance. Varying levels of signal is one that is easily overlooked and quite often is the single biggest variable in battery endurance.

Look at your battery performance chart, tap the chart and look below the chart to see the signal levels. They will show up in varying shades of Yellow to Green, like this one...

View attachment 60911

You'll also see other lesser obvious stats such as GPS, WIFI, Awake time, Screen on and Charging periods. This lets you see how each affected the discharge rates more directly by looking above at the slope immediately adjacent to the various indicators.

For instance, the chart above shows six obvious and relatively steep slopes;
  1. immediately off charge,
  2. 1/4 in,
  3. 1/2 in (*2 drops...the 1st drop),
  4. 1/2 in (*2nd drop),
  5. 3/4 in and
  6. 4/5 in,
...all which correspond with 4 concurrent events...low signal level, WIFI on, Awake, and Screen on as seen in the short Blue sections in the bottom two bar charts. There were actually a couple more less obvious dips that corresponded to shorter bursts of Awake and Screen on, giving me an obvious understanding of 8 more rapid power declines, which when added together resulted in 25% of the total available battery being consumed (i.e. from 100% to 75%), or 71% of the 35% total (100% to 65%), battery power actually consumed (25% / 35%). Those short bursts were only 35% (4 hours), of the total time the phone was under battery power (11.3 hours), meaning that 65% of the time the phone was sipping power very slowly, over 7.5 hours of the 11.3 hours, so you can see how those short, high demand periods can dramatically diminish the battery's endurance.

These batteries are quite capable of putting out very high current for relatively short periods of time, but where they shine is in putting out very low current levels for extensive periods of time. In other words, you will get exponentially far more time out of one charge by consuming the power slowly (with the phone in rest state as the best example), rather than consuming rapidly (such as while streaming video through 4G).

Last edited:

bman6074

Reaction score
I noticed that apps are not created equal. Some will hog your battery more so then others. So it can be the new app you installed or an app that updated is now behaving differently when you use it.