Map > Lattitudes personal tracking

mact

Reaction score
My wife and I like the personal tracking mode in Google Maps on the Droid. But it is often inaccurate as heck.

Instance #1: I am sitting at home right next to her and her phone says I'm a mile away while my phone has up right next to each other. Refreshing makes no difference.

Instance #2: The last position for her is dated an hour ago. I can't obtain more recent information. It won't refresh.

How come?

Does the phone being sought have to have maps and latitudes running? Are there other tings to be done? expecting too much? What?

Last edited by a moderator:

tsmcnet

Reaction score
Same problem here!

My wife and I both have the Moto DROIDs. I can hold both phones with G. maps and Latitude running. Each phone locates itself to the point where I can see what side of the house I am walking around! But each phone shows the latitude contact to be 1/2 mile away! In different directions no less. Her phone shows mine to be east 1/2 mile, while my phone shows hers to be 1/2 mile west.
I even tried the spinning trick posted in the FAQ, and yes I felt like an idiot while doing it....

travisinkansas

Reaction score
If you're in the house it's probably locating you off of the cell tower system not the GPS which is why the location is not as accurate.

tsmcnet

Reaction score
Latitude tracking

If you're in the house it's probably locating you off of the cell tower system not the GPS which is why the location is not as accurate.

Thanks for the information, I guess I wasn't quite clear...

I was outside of the house, GPS and WiFi on, and each phone tracking itself in real time, to the point I could see my position, (on the satellite view zoomed in real close) in relation to my house.

The problem was/is that the latitude contacts on each phone was different.
Phone #1 showing contact phone #2 1/2 mile east.
Phone #2 showing contact phone#1 1/2 mile west.

When in fact both phones were together and real time tracking their own locations just fine...

Love the phone , just trying to get the latitude service a little more reliable...

Perhaps the latitude service is using cell tower and not GPS data?
How about it Google?

(On a side note; The contact data was also off while I was checking from work today. I saw 3 different locations throughout the day all within a few miles of my house. My wife :)SAID:) she was home all day... Monday I'll do a cell tower spotting road trip and post my findings!)

rich67

Reaction score
Are your preferences for sharing set to "best location" in Latitude? I think there's a setting for how accurate you want the GPS to read for privacy reasons on the Google homepage in the Latitude section. You can't access it from the phone I don't think....

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a privacy issue. I thought it seemed do locate things at the nearest intersection.

iPirate

Reaction score
One feature of latitude is that if you are somewhere and have friends nearby it can notify you so I think it is a privacy issue