True story about how CHP + Android + Google Latitude saved the day

mapexvenus

Reaction score
This is a true story about how two Android phones, a service called Google latitude, and the CHP saved the day.

So here is the skinny - can't go into too many details yet…

- My wife and I were on our way to Lake Tahoe over the memorial day break. About 300+ miles into our trip, we decided to take a break at a rest stop. We took a little walk to stretch and were making our way back to our car…

- …when we saw someone on the other side of the vehicle doing something that looked like he was *in* our vehicle.

- On walking closer the man walked quickly to another car waiting behind hours (another person was at the wheel) and sped away

- Discovered to our horror that the window of our vehicle was smashed in and a lot of our stuff was gone.

- Stolen stuff: two laptops, two digital cameras (one of them very expensive), one Droid Eris, my Zune HD, my wife's wallet, her credit cards, ID, cash, two backpacks, and some other stuff

- Called 911 immediately and gave the dispatcher a description of the car and occupants

- While waiting for the CHP to arrive, I remembered that I had enabled Google latitude on both our phones and that tracking was 'on'.

- I was able to use my phone (HTC Incredible) to track exactly where my wife's phone was (it was headed down I-5 S)

- Provided this information to the officer who arrived. Officer radioed ahead

- Suspects apprehended based on information provided ALL ITEMS RECOVERED

- Suspects had also robbed other victims so there was lots of loot. They also had prior criminal records and were on probation.

- Went back to the county police station, went through paperwork and formalities.

- Officers made repeated mention of how we assisted with the capture and were wise to use technology.

I think that the following helped immensely:

- Our ability to provide an accurate description of the car and suspects

- Android + Google latitude

- The very very awesome CHP

- The fact that the suspects did not turn off my wife's phone after they stole it, so it kept transmitting its location to Google Latitude constantly.

- The fact that Verizon had 3G signal in the middle of nowhere

bje1982

Reaction score
This is a true story about how two Android phones, a service called Google latitude, and the CHP saved the day.

So here is the skinny - can't go into too many details yet…

- My wife and I were on our way to Lake Tahoe over the memorial day break. About 300+ miles into our trip, we decided to take a break at a rest stop. We took a little walk to stretch and were making our way back to our car…

- …when we saw someone on the other side of the vehicle doing something that looked like he was *in* our vehicle.

- On walking closer the man walked quickly to another car waiting behind hours (another person was at the wheel) and sped away

- Discovered to our horror that the window of our vehicle was smashed in and a lot of our stuff was gone.

- Stolen stuff: two laptops, two digital cameras (one of them very expensive), one Droid Eris, my Zune HD, my wife's wallet, her credit cards, ID, cash, two backpacks, and some other stuff

- Called 911 immediately and gave the dispatcher a description of the car and occupants

- While waiting for the CHP to arrive, I remembered that I had enabled Google latitude on both our phones and that tracking was 'on'.

- I was able to use my phone (HTC Incredible) to track exactly where my wife's phone was (it was headed down I-5 S)

- Provided this information to the officer who arrived. Officer radioed ahead

- Suspects apprehended based on information provided ALL ITEMS RECOVERED

- Suspects had also robbed other victims so there was lots of loot. They also had prior criminal records and were on probation.

- Went back to the county police station, went through paperwork and formalities.

- Officers made repeated mention of how we assisted with the capture and were wise to use technology.

I think that the following helped immensely:

- Our ability to provide an accurate description of the car and suspects

- Android + Google latitude

- The very very awesome CHP

- The fact that the suspects did not turn off my wife's phone after they stole it, so it kept transmitting its location to Google Latitude constantly.

- The fact that Verizon had 3G signal in the middle of nowhere

Haha suckers!!!!!! Droid does havnt they seen the commercials? wth

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's great!!! :icon_ banana:

Catching crooks? There's an app for that.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome story! And, aren't you glad your wife didn't take her Eris on the walk with you? If she did, you probably would not have recovered everything. Thanks for sharing!

droidilac

Reaction score
werd.....

What can I say awesome story. Congrats on being quick to react. I personally use the mobiledefense app. I was able to track m GF's Droid from my Droid's browser. For some reason she doesnt refresh when I pull up the Google Latitude....

Once again Congrats!!!!!!

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Crooks got PWNED...nice story. Moral of the story don't steal Android devices!?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
idont, but droiddoes. good story.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love DROID DOES stories like this....Droid LoJack. Nice.

Good thing they didn't turn the phone off.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

zevoman

Reaction score
That's about as good of an ending as you can have. Glad you got everything back (minus the busted glass). I'm going to take a more serious look at the Latitude app now!

Droid - Criminals

Droid Wins!

him

Reaction score
My wife refuses to use lattitude because she thinks im tracking her...oh well. My phone would be easy to find...

Note to thief. If you steal anything electronic device take the damn battery out. Cant tell you how many stories i hear of idiots stealing phones and leaving them running or using them.