Manually Update to 2.0.1

windstrings

Reaction score
You had to return your Droid and yet still say Motorola doesn't have tons of lemons? This is beta software at best they released with this phone. I know crappy software when I see it. I had an Storm 1 and could tell right away that OS was garbage.

I'm under the conclusion that anything thats released now a days is beta.
Competition is so strong to get it out first and in the lab all the different combination's of apps and devices we interact with can never be recreated.
The more apps, the more combination's and room for error.

I think of I-phone, LG, Samsung... not matter what you get any more it will be buggy till the next generation of firmware. It just takes too long to do the last mile of fine tuning without the help of the public.

there are a few exceptions out there but usually those are devices that aren't in such fierce competition to hit the market asap.

It would be easy for any of us to get disheartened when we have issues... but the fact remains... we have the best network and Google... a good combination I think.... I have faith that every update will be a move to perfection.

Seems everybody is pretty impressed with this very first update... I expect the one in Jan will be even better.

kjrnec

Reaction score
I work in IT so I understand first adopters deal with tons of bugs. But with Google already coming out with another phone they may decide to abandon us Droid users. And there is no way Motorola or Verizon will be able to effectively support this phone.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then return the phone and go away. We got an update in 30 days - I guess Google, Motorola and Verizon just can't handle it with the GooglePhone coming out. (that was sarcasm).

I work in IT so I understand first adopters deal with tons of bugs. But with Google already coming out with another phone they may decide to abandon us Droid users. And there is no way Motorola or Verizon will be able to effectively support this phone.

Daywalker

Reaction score

I got mine on Monday after they were out, got girlfriend one to replace her 3gs I know of six more at work, not one of these has had a single problem.

I think maybe your location should read "At the sales desk at ATT store"

windstrings

Reaction score

I understand the concern, but that would be a marketing disaster if they abandoned excellence on the droid.

It would send the signal that no matter what phone you buy from them it will be abandoned so why bother!

Why they will come out with faster processors, better graphics, better resolution and a few tricks, the droid is the flagship for now that will set the pace and the tone for trust from the public in the future.

The Droid is the foundation of their entrance into the cell phone market.

While we may all disagree with marketing strategies of Google, they have to also keep Verizon happy... which means we need to be happy.

Verizon or no one else will partner with them if they have such a short attention span that they will not fully support a phone they produce.

Google has done most everything they have ever done with excellence.
Until they prove themselves wrong, they get the benefit of their track record in my book and I'm going with the open source Android platform supported by Google an Verizon.

We can "what if" ourselves crazy.

If you are truly having problems with your phone, it will be understandable to focus only on the negative prospects of the future..... but enlarge, most folks are ecstatic with their phones.... It far supersedes what I expected.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then return the phone and go away. We got an update in 30 days - I guess Google, Motorola and Verizon just can't handle it with the GooglePhone coming out. (that was sarcasm).

Verizon did not just spend millions in advertising the Droid to abandon it... it was pushed as a flag ship for a reason. And rumor is the Google phone will be GSM anyways... let them have their inferior networks and an HTC device... Google/Motorola and VZW put a lot of money into the Droid and will continue to develop it....

joef78

Reaction score
Since deleting the update.zip file from my sd card, my phone continues to show up as a download. Is there a way to kill that?

windstrings

Reaction score
Since deleting the update.zip file from my sd card, my phone continues to show up as a download. Is there a way to kill that?

Can you elaborate a little more.. what do you mean "your phone" shows up as a download?... you mean the update.zip shows up as a download?

If so.. just clear your download list.

Where are you seeing this.. in your browser or at the top on the menu on your phone?
if its in your browser.. just go to your menu and go to downloads.. hold your finger on the one you want to clear and pick "clear from list".. or you can hit menu again and clear your whole list for that matter.

joef78

Reaction score
I'm sorry. It's showing up on my phone as being downloaded at the top fo the phone. I've cleared it from the top bar probably 30 times since updating. I just checked my download history and it is not shown there. It's not a major issue (I dont' think)...just annoying.

Thanks

GadgetRick

Reaction score
You had to return your Droid and yet still say Motorola doesn't have tons of lemons? This is beta software at best they released with this phone. I know crappy software when I see it. I had an Storm 1 and could tell right away that OS was garbage.
Dude, just because you are having a problem doesn't mean everyone is. Try reading through more threads around here. Yes, you hear about people who've had problems but the vast majority of people around here are perfectly happy with their Droid because we've not experienced the problems.

cplum

Reaction score
That is weird. I did he manual update one day last week and my battery life has been great. I took mine off the charger on Saturday morning about 9 AM and had 30% left when I went to put it on the charger Sunday night at about 6PM. I probably only talked about 45 minutes total, but I did quite a bit of surfing.

windstrings

Reaction score
Dude, just because you are having a problem doesn't mean everyone is. Try reading through more threads around here. Yes, you hear about people who've had problems but the vast majority of people around here are perfectly happy with their Droid because we've not experienced the problems.

Not saying there arent any bad phones out there... it was be silly to assume otherwise.. but 99.9 percent of the time, its user error in some way.. either they just purely did things in the wrong sequence mechanically or the timing was off, or they messed with it so much that it needs an honest factory reset to ever hope to get things back to normal.

It is very presumptuous to slander the Droid on a general level because of an isolated issue that "most everybody else does not have".

That reset procedure is made difficult on purpose so people dont do it accidentally and also so the novice cant do it as the device is extremely vulnerable to serious screwups during a firmware update.. if the user is not "patient".. doesn't pay attention, or breaks any of the rules of the upgrade... there is little to no room for error as they are messing with the foundation of everything else.

I see alot of young guys "fly through" things because they have gotten away with it in the past because thier mind is sharp and reflexes are fast and assume if anything doesnt succumb to the domain of their control instantly, it must be erroneous without regard that it could just be them.
I see it in driving cars "they think they have it all in control till they crash".. I see it in use of firearms, I see it in computer troubleshooting.

You dont know what you dont know!... otherwise you would know it!
So when you think you know it all, you know very little.
Because you dont even know enough to know you dont know... you know? :icon_ banana:

If the device worked fine before someone started trying to update it.. theres a good chance the device is not the problem..... just looking at the odds here...

I see a lot of arrogance on these type of techy forums.... you give people help and many never come back to openly say thanks and admit the help was warranted and appreciated... instead they try to act like they figured it out on their own as if to say "I knew that!"

I guess thats why you have to be young and stupid before you can be old and wise..... we have all been there! :)