Making the switch...

NytroGirl

Reaction score
So, my AT&T contract is up next month and I will be switching back to Verizon and getting the Droid X. Now, my question is, will Verizon give me any sort of deal or incentive to switch to them? They don't need to know I already plan on doing it, but if I can save a few bucks, then that would be awesome.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. dancedroid

Rindaen

Reaction score
The Wife and I and thinking of switching towards the end of the month and wondering the same.

Been with Cingular/AT&T for many years without a contract.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, they'll give you the droid x for $200 :)

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
$400 off a sweet new phone isn't enough of an incentive? :) They already provide the best data network in the country.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah i didn't mean to be a smart a$$, but they're pretty finicky when it comes to that stuff... not to say it's not worth trying though!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
You will get more incentives from AT&T to stay than you will from Verizon to switch. You will get pretty much what every other new customer gets. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
You will get more incentives from AT&T to stay than you will from Verizon to switch. You will get pretty much what every other new customer gets. Nothing more.

And with this being said you get the best data network and a Droid X for $199. What more could you possibly ask for? Frozen Yogurt? dancedroid

OP
N

NytroGirl

Reaction score
Wow! Who knew I would get such smart a$$ responses from some of you. That was really unexpected. As I stated, I'm going to switch anyway, but can you really blame me for asking?

Dude....was that really necessary?

And depending on where you are, that's not the case about them having the best data network. Trust me. I get better coverage in my home with AT&T...MUCH better, but I really want a droid phone, so I'm willing to switch.

I suppose next time I won't ask about incentives here...

ETA: Oh and for getting the phone for $199, I have to sign a 2 year contract just to get it for that price, so I'd say they're getting there money out of me anyway....

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
as i said already, sorry for being a smart a$$, but most of us have been with verizon for awhile now, so we're a tad cynical about verizon giving away much of anything, and it's pretty well a running assumption, dare i say joke, that verizon is very proud of themselves... albeit, they deserve to be to some extent... at least in a lot of areas besides yours

Chillson

Reaction score
If I was you, and only in this instance of trying to get something for switching to Verizon, would I recommend you call customer service and see if they'll wave the activation fee and through in some accessories. I think they would be more willing to do so than actually going into a store. Though going into a store I'm sure you can get some free accessories, but will still have to pay the activation fee.

What phone do you currently have by the way?

Last edited:

Mule65

Reaction score
images

OP
N

NytroGirl

Reaction score
If I was you, and only in this instance of trying to get something for switching to Verizon, would I recommend you call customer service and see if they'll wave the activation fee and through in some accessories. I think they would be more willing to do so than actually going into a store. Though going into a store I'm sure you can get some free accessories, but will still have to pay the activation fee.

What phone do you currently have by the way?

Thank you for the comments. I appreciate it.

Even waiving the fee would be awesome.

I have an LG Shine that I hate. This will be my first "smartphone", so for me, I have to make some changes about having that extra $30/month. I run a business, so I need it, but ya know.

Thank you, jntowers. Yes I saw your apology and I appreciate it. I wasn't entirely talking about you. :)

I just didn't expect the responses I received. You'd think I was asking for them to give me the phone free, which I'm not. I figured it never hurts to ask, so I did, but apparently this was the wrong place to ask it...

Right back atcha...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
if AT&T is better in your area, and you're in your area most of the time (since you said this was for business), i'd try an iPhone 3GS first (only b/c the iPhone 4 is having some problems out of the gate)... the 8gb models are only $100 now, and if AT&T is strong where you are, you might like it better... plus with AT&T, if you use less than 2gb a month of data, it's actually a little cheaper on their tiered data plans... worst case scenario, you have 30 days to back out of that commitment and take the iPhone back...

if you do try that, make sure you get the 8gb model - the 16 and 32gb models of the 3GS are on "closeout", so you can't back out of those within 30 days

Last edited:
OP
N

NytroGirl

Reaction score
if AT&T is better in your area, and you're in your area most of the time (since you said this was for business), i'd try an iPhone 3GS first (only b/c the iPhone 4 is having some problems out of the gate)... the 8gb models are only $100 now, and if AT&T is strong where you are, you might like it better... plus with AT&T, if you use less than 2gb a month of data, it's actually a little cheaper on their tiered data plans... worst case scenario, you have 30 days to back out of that commitment and take the iPhone back...

if you do try that, make sure you get the 8gb model - the 16 and 32gb models of the 3GS are on "closeout", so you can't back out of those within 30 days

Thank you. That is a thought as well, but I've heard some not so good things about the iPhones. Lots of dropped calls and what not. Any truth to that? I do like them. I have an iPod Touch that I like quite a bit.

Some of the newer Verizon phones do get service in my area. I had a friend with a Droid come over and they had 1-2 bars in my house, which is better than the Blackberry my husband has for work. He can get texts but not phone calls with it. We were able to make calls with the Droid.