Making the switch...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since you're going to be going from a non smart phone to a smart phone, let the Verizon CS rep know that. That you are looking to switch to them AND spend more money. A simple highlight of the fact has helped me out. You stand a reasonable chance to get the activation fee waved and as mentioned, possibly some accessories.

And you've always got 30 days to return it if it's really not for you.

Stay away from the iPhone 4 until at least antenna issues are handled. :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
if AT&T is better in your area, and you're in your area most of the time (since you said this was for business), i'd try an iPhone 3GS first (only b/c the iPhone 4 is having some problems out of the gate)... the 8gb models are only $100 now, and if AT&T is strong where you are, you might like it better... plus with AT&T, if you use less than 2gb a month of data, it's actually a little cheaper on their tiered data plans... worst case scenario, you have 30 days to back out of that commitment and take the iPhone back...

if you do try that, make sure you get the 8gb model - the 16 and 32gb models of the 3GS are on "closeout", so you can't back out of those within 30 days

Thank you. That is a thought as well, but I've heard some not so good things about the iPhones. Lots of dropped calls and what not. Any truth to that? I do like them. I have an iPod Touch that I like quite a bit.

Some of the newer Verizon phones do get service in my area. I had a friend with a Droid come over and they had 1-2 bars in my house, which is better than the Blackberry my husband has for work. He can get texts but not phone calls with it. We were able to make calls with the Droid.

Boy I could write a book on the 3GS vs the Droid... I switched back and forth twice in researching which I'd commit to finally.

Keeping in mind I live in Dallas, so pretty much every carrier has a strong 3G signal here...

I rarely had a dropped call on my 3GS, never have on my Droid. The 3G connection was faster on AT&T, but less consistent than VZW, which, honestly, I prefer the consistency over the speed. The 3GS just works, the Droid will have the occasional little bug you'll run into. You can talk and do data (internet, email, etc) at the same time on AT&T's 3G, can't on Verizon - for a lot of people, that doesn't make a difference, but it could if you're doing a lot of business related calls. If you're on wifi a lot, that won't really matter b/c your data can use the wifi connection obviously. The iPhone's call volume on both ends wasn't as loud as the Droid, but it's not like it was unusable or anything, and was less muffled than the Droid. The iPhone will be easier to use overall, especially if you don't like having to tinker at all, but with the Droid you can make it do a lot more and it's a lot more customizable, if you want to put the time/effort into it. With the iPhone, if there is a business (or general) app you need, there's a 99% chance the App Store has it, and probably a 70% chance the Android Market has it (I'm pulling those numbers out of the air, but you get the point). I'll add as I think of more... but the good thing is you can try out either one and back out within 30 days... though you might lose your activation fee and you might have a 10% restocking fee.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the Droid, you're pretty much tying your life to Google, and not so with the iPhone. That may be a positive, it may not be... depends on the person.

OP
N

NytroGirl

Reaction score
Since you're going to be going from a non smart phone to a smart phone, let the Verizon CS rep know that. That you are looking to switch to them AND spend more money. A simple highlight of the fact has helped me out. You stand a reasonable chance to get the activation fee waved and as mentioned, possibly some accessories.

And you've always got 30 days to return it if it's really not for you.

Stay away from the iPhone 4 until at least antenna issues are handled. :)

Thanks. That's quite helpful. I guess that was my thinking all along and it just didn't come out in words/type so to speak.

Boy I could write a book on the 3GS vs the Droid... I switched back and forth twice in researching which I'd commit to finally.

Keeping in mind I live in Dallas, so pretty much every carrier has a strong 3G signal here...

I rarely had a dropped call on my 3GS, never have on my Droid. The 3G connection was faster on AT&T, but less consistent than VZW, which, honestly, I prefer the consistency over the speed. The 3GS just works, the Droid will have the occasional little bug you'll run into. You can talk and do data (internet, email, etc) at the same time on AT&T's 3G, can't on Verizon - for a lot of people, that doesn't make a difference, but it could if you're doing a lot of business related calls. If you're on wifi a lot, that won't really matter b/c your data can use the wifi connection obviously. The iPhone's call volume on both ends wasn't as loud as the Droid, but it's not like it was unusable or anything, and was less muffled than the Droid. The iPhone will be easier to use overall, especially if you don't like having to tinker at all, but with the Droid you can make it do a lot more and it's a lot more customizable, if you want to put the time/effort into it. With the iPhone, if there is a business (or general) app you need, there's a 99% chance the App Store has it, and probably a 70% chance the Android Market has it (I'm pulling those numbers out of the air, but you get the point). I'll add as I think of more... but the good thing is you can try out either one and back out within 30 days... though you might lose your activation fee and you might have a 10% restocking fee.

That is excellent info. It's nice to have info from someone who has gone back and forth, so I really do appreciate that alot.

OP
N

NytroGirl

Reaction score
With the Droid, you're pretty much tying your life to Google, and not so with the iPhone. That may be a positive, it may not be... depends on the person.

Not sure that I mind, but I'm curious as to what you mean by that. As you know, I've never had a smartphone before, so I'm not up on all the dealios.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ONLY reason I even bring that up is b/c I saw a user on here just a few days ago who evidently had his gmail account hacked, and Google shut it down. They eventually restored it, but it sounded like he had a heck of a time getting it restored.

When you first activate the Droid (or any Android phone), you have to log into a Google account. So, in his situation, he could've just started a new Google account to get in and use the phone's functionality... but, all of your contacts are synced with Google, your Gmail is synced with Google (obviously, and there is a separate email client if you use something else), your Market purchases are attached to your Google account, your search history (if you so chose), Google Voice, etc... you get the point. If your Google account gets hacked or shut down for any reason, you lose a lot regardless of your phone. But if your phone is that tied to your Google account, then you can see the potential problems.

I think you can still use the phone and get around the initial activation page, but I'm not 100% on that. There are a lot of potential problems in that worst case scenario, but to me the worst would be all of the contacts that you couldn't get to.

Obviously this is an absolute worst case scenario, and I've only seen it once, but still something to keep in mind... at least in my anal mind. :) It still bothers me sometimes how dependent on Google I am.

OhBeeWan

Reaction score
VZ, coverage and discounts

-snip- And depending on where you are, that's not the case about them having the best data network. Trust me. I get better coverage in my home with AT&T...MUCH better, but I really want a droid phone, so I'm willing to switch. -snip-
What VZw will do is go to extreme lengths to make sure you have coverage. They'll discount your bill if they can't fix it. AT&T sure didn't help me there. :wacko:
Make sure you tell the VZ rep that you dropped them and switched to Darth At&T 'cause of coverage issues in your home. They will do something for you then

ps5281

Reaction score
@ NytroGirl - Here's a suggestion that might help. It's obvious that you're dead set on on switching over to Verizon, this however does not mean that you cannot try to leverage something for making the switch. I would do a search for "authorized dealers/retailers" in your area.

There is one that I've always gone to in Toledo, OH (and while they can not fudge the price of service or the terms of the contract) they often times are more willing to maybe do a little extra with accessories and things like that. If you have more than one authorized retailer ask around, you may find that they are willing to makes deals that other stores won't. I have a friend that works at a corporate store who hates customers who go to authorized dealers.

Also, having sold consumer electronics in the past people fail to realize how much negotiating can be done for optional items/accessories. Ask the Verizon corporate store straight up for an extra 20% off for any accessories that you may want. (The key is to do as part of the larger transaction so know what you want accessory wise before completing the sale.) I loved it when people would come in to where I worked payed for the big ticket item - say a big screen tv and payed for a stand, dvd player, cables, warranty, installation, etc... without asking for anything additional off when I wouldn't have batted an eye to give 20% off had they even asked and given me a number.

I guess in conclusion, where you will save money is the optional items that you really don't need but the salesman really needs to sell. And be assertive. When I did sales if someone asked "can I have something off for buying items, x,y,x" - I would quickly say no (a few extra $ on my commission) because those people I could tell by there lack of assertiveness would pay it anyway. People how would often say "I'm buying product x,y,z and now I want you to give me an extra 25% off" would get me offering 20% and in almost all cases happily take it.... See what I'm getting at.

OP
N

NytroGirl

Reaction score
The ONLY reason I even bring that up is b/c I saw a user on here just a few days ago who evidently had his gmail account hacked, and Google shut it down. They eventually restored it, but it sounded like he had a heck of a time getting it restored.

When you first activate the Droid (or any Android phone), you have to log into a Google account. So, in his situation, he could've just started a new Google account to get in and use the phone's functionality... but, all of your contacts are synced with Google, your Gmail is synced with Google (obviously, and there is a separate email client if you use something else), your Market purchases are attached to your Google account, your search history (if you so chose), Google Voice, etc... you get the point. If your Google account gets hacked or shut down for any reason, you lose a lot regardless of your phone. But if your phone is that tied to your Google account, then you can see the potential problems.

I think you can still use the phone and get around the initial activation page, but I'm not 100% on that. There are a lot of potential problems in that worst case scenario, but to me the worst would be all of the contacts that you couldn't get to.

Obviously this is an absolute worst case scenario, and I've only seen it once, but still something to keep in mind... at least in my anal mind. :) It still bothers me sometimes how dependent on Google I am.

That is definitely something to think about. I've had a Google account for a long time now and haven't, knock on wood, had any problems, but you just never ever know.

Thanks.

-snip- And depending on where you are, that's not the case about them having the best data network. Trust me. I get better coverage in my home with AT&T...MUCH better, but I really want a droid phone, so I'm willing to switch. -snip-
What VZw will do is go to extreme lengths to make sure you have coverage. They'll discount your bill if they can't fix it. AT&T sure didn't help me there. :wacko:
Make sure you tell the VZ rep that you dropped them and switched to Darth At&T 'cause of coverage issues in your home. They will do something for you then

I didn't think of that either. Thanks for the tip. :)

@ NytroGirl - Here's a suggestion that might help. It's obvious that you're dead set on on switching over to Verizon, this however does not mean that you cannot try to leverage something for making the switch. I would do a search for "authorized dealers/retailers" in your area.

There is one that I've always gone to in Toledo, OH (and while they can not fudge the price of service or the terms of the contract) they often times are more willing to maybe do a little extra with accessories and things like that. If you have more than one authorized retailer ask around, you may find that they are willing to makes deals that other stores won't. I have a friend that works at a corporate store who hates customers who go to authorized dealers.

Also, having sold consumer electronics in the past people fail to realize how much negotiating can be done for optional items/accessories. Ask the Verizon corporate store straight up for an extra 20% off for any accessories that you may want. (The key is to do as part of the larger transaction so know what you want accessory wise before completing the sale.) I loved it when people would come in to where I worked payed for the big ticket item - say a big screen tv and payed for a stand, dvd player, cables, warranty, installation, etc... without asking for anything additional off when I wouldn't have batted an eye to give 20% off had they even asked and given me a number.

I guess in conclusion, where you will save money is the optional items that you really don't need but the salesman really needs to sell. And be assertive. When I did sales if someone asked "can I have something off for buying items, x,y,x" - I would quickly say no (a few extra $ on my commission) because those people I could tell by there lack of assertiveness would pay it anyway. People how would often say "I'm buying product x,y,z and now I want you to give me an extra 25% off" would get me offering 20% and in almost all cases happily take it.... See what I'm getting at.

I wouldn't say I'm deadset, but pretty darn near close. I've not been happy with AT&T for a while now. I'm all the time dropping calls and not receiving text messages and don't even get me started on how one day I can be on this road and have 5 bars signal and the next day be on that same road in the exact same spot and have no signal whatsoever. Happens a lot and I never had that problem with Verizon.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. I have no problem going form dealer to dealer to dealer to get the best deal I can. I'll need a couple of accessories, so if that's where I can get a discount of some sort, I'm happy with that. :)

PorcPuffer

Reaction score
if you just want an android phone and att service why not check out the new samsung captivate (galaxy s) should be launching this summer sometime, sorry not to informed about samsung phones but they look cool.

J

Johnly

Wow! Who knew I would get such smart a$$ responses from some of you. That was really unexpected. As I stated, I'm going to switch anyway, but can you really blame me for asking?

Dude....was that really necessary?

And depending on where you are, that's not the case about them having the best data network. Trust me. I get better coverage in my home with AT&T...MUCH better, but I really want a droid phone, so I'm willing to switch.

I suppose next time I won't ask about incentives here...

ETA: Oh and for getting the phone for $199, I have to sign a 2 year contract just to get it for that price, so I'd say they're getting there money out of me anyway....
never mind those responses, they are what they are. I would say go in and talk to them, you might get lucky and get a nice manager to give you a small break. Good to have you here ; )

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Wow! Who knew I would get such smart a$$ responses from some of you. That was really unexpected. As I stated, I'm going to switch anyway, but can you really blame me for asking?

Dude....was that really necessary?

Ok I missed something. Who gave you smartass answers??? Every answer before you made that post was pretty much the truth.

OP
N

NytroGirl

Reaction score
never mind those responses, they are what they are. I would say go in and talk to them, you might get lucky and get a nice manager to give you a small break. Good to have you here ; )

Indeed they are what they are. Moving on.

Yeah, I agree. It never hurts to try.

Thank you. I appreciate that. :) Maybe I can be more active here if/when I do get a Droid.

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score

That happened to me once too. G account got hacked and I got locked out. I didn't have a good secondary email address (stupid on my part) to send a validation to so it was an act of Congress to get my G account back up. Took me about 3 days of emailing a google rep back and forth. Real PITA.

I still use Google for just about everything I do though. email, calendars, contacts etc... The difference now is that I have a super strong password. With all that rides on your google account, it's worth it to make a very strong PW. Even the hardest PW's are easy enough to remember after a while.

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I too am making the switch from ATT/iPhone to Verizon/Droid X. Biggest thing to me is, 3G..ATT does NOT have 3G where i live but Verizon DOES! That and i have had an iPhone for years and am really just bored with it. I am looking for something new and i think i may have found it with the droid x.