No idea what phone to get. Help!

msinger23

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have AT&T but my contract expires this sunday (May 1st). I currently have the iPhone 3g but I'm going to be switching over to Verizon. I've seen a lot of good things about the Droid X, and the HTC TB but I have NO idea which one to get. I'd probably wouldn't be hacking the phone or anything special... I would mostly use it for music, apps, and making calls.. etc. If anyone could suggest what phone would be best for me I would greatly appreciate it (if it's other than the DX or TB that would be fine too!). Thanks so much for the help.

PS - sorry for the noobishness.

bkendrick

Reaction score
The TB looks nice but I've heard the battery life is rancid. I have the DX and with stock I got about 8-10 hours between charges. With heavy usage even lower. If the TB is worse than that's down right horrid. With liberty ROM on the DX I'm getting 14-16 hours battery life.

Just my 2 cents.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

OP
M

msinger23

Reaction score
The TB looks nice but I've heard the battery life is rancid. I have the DX and with stock I got about 8-10 hours between charges. With heavy usage even lower. If the TB is worse than that's down right horrid. With liberty ROM on the DX I'm getting 14-16 hours battery life.

Just my 2 cents.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

Thanks. anyone else? :)

Bigg5Deuce

Reaction score
I'd probably wouldn't be hacking the phone or anything special... I would mostly use it for music, apps, and making calls.. etc.

Just curious, but why aren't you just sticking with the iphone? If you have no intention of utilizing the customization available through rooting and flashing ROMs, and are really just looking for music, apps, and phone calls, it seems to me that those are the three things that the iphone does well.

I only ask because the lack of cohesiveness and overall unfinished feel of Android as a whole has finally beaten me into submission and I am strongly considering switching to iphone when my current contract is up, simply for the simplicity and overall polish that Apple's product provides.

Of course, that's just my current opinion, and if I were to switch over, I'll probably end up missing the ablity to tinker with my phone and will want to switch back to Android...

OP
M

msinger23

Reaction score
I'd probably wouldn't be hacking the phone or anything special... I would mostly use it for music, apps, and making calls.. etc.

Just curious, but why aren't you just sticking with the iphone? If you have no intention of utilizing the customization available through rooting and flashing ROMs, and are really just looking for music, apps, and phone calls, it seems to me that those are the three things that the iphone does well.

I only ask because the lack of cohesiveness and overall unfinished feel of Android as a whole has finally beaten me into submission and I am strongly considering switching to iphone when my current contract is up, simply for the simplicity and overall polish that Apple's product provides.

Of course, that's just my current opinion, and if I were to switch over, I'll probably end up missing the ablity to tinker with my phone and will want to switch back to Android...

I liked the iPhone.. I just thought it was time for a change. The main reason I stuck with it was because of the music player.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only problems that I see with the iPhone:

1) Small screen. I don't care how pretty it is or how many pixels they cram in there, it is still too small for watching movies or decent web browsing. The screen size was fine for 2007, but that was 4 years ago, time to get with the times...

2) No 4G on the iPhone 4 or even iPhone 5. That says that if you want 4G, you won't see it until almost 2013, which to me is unacceptable. Of course I live in Atlanta which was one of the first places to get LTE, but my girlfriend sees 20mbit downloads all the time, so it is wicked fast. I usually cannot seem to break 1Mbit on my DX and 3G.

3) Lack of battery access or SD. Those are maybe not important to everyone, but if you want to manage your music and movies it is easier to just swap out SD cards than to spend half an hour deleting and recopying 30GB of files over a USB cord and iTunes.

Otherwise, the iPhone is a great phone now that they are off of AT&T.

While I liked the larger screen and features of the DX, that in itself was not enough to get me to switch. It was the 8 or so dropped calls a day that I had with AT&T, regardless of what phone I used, that forced me to seek greener pastures.

If the iPhone 5 had a much larger screen, came with LTE and 64GB of internal storage, I could see going back, despite the battery access and lack of Flash. Lots of people try to downplay Flash, but let's face it, the bulk of the web movie content is Flash based.