How to get my Thundeerbolt

KXMc

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to ask these questions...

I have a Verizon contract with 2 OG Droids on it. No upgrade until 11/11. I'm trying to see how I can get the Thunderbolt when (if...) it comes out. Obviously I could pay the 7-800 and just buy it, but it would be nice to get it cheaper.

Is there some way I could cancel 1 Droid, pay early termination fee, then add TB? I asked at VZW store, and this is what the guy suggested: Get a cheapo non-smartphone Verizon phone with clean ESN. When TB comes out, switch one Droid account to the cheapo phone (to save the $30/month data fee), but TB on 2yr contract at whatever cheap price it comes, add a line to current contract with the TB, swap OG Droid phone number to TB, voila.?. Does this sound right?

I guess basically I would be left with a backup Droid (can still get on web via wireless?), a non-smartphone just filling a slot until I can cancel it in Nov, my same working Droid and new TB.

Can you see any way this wouldn't work or be 'illegal'? Maybe a suggestion of an even better way to do it? I don't mind having to pay the full $700 for the phone, but would be nice not to. dancedroid

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice, etc. I do apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place...

Ken!

techguru

Reaction score
The suggestion from the vzw rep is a good one. I did basically the same once, and I actually wound up keeping the dumb phone in my car, and stuck it on a charger once in a while so I had an emergency phone in case anything happened to my smartphone.

Another option, is if you have a friend or family member (that you trust not to run up charges buying ringtones or games...) you can let them use the phone and pay you the $9+tax and fees (works out to about $15/month actually). Be careful with this though. Probably half the cases on Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown (guilty pleasures....) are about friends added to friends cell accounts, running up the bill, and not paying.

Alan

OP
KXMc

KXMc

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful and quick response!

Ken!

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I currently have 4 lines on my plan. Two of the lines were for my kids, one of which has since married and moved out of the house. I keep that line so that I have a constant rotation of update dates to use at my disposal. And yes I keep an old Moto flip phone on that line so there is no data plan. It only costs me 11.00 a month but priceless when I want a new phone.

So yeah adding a new line so that you can get the new phone and then just the TB on your primary line and put a dummy phone on the new line that is not going to be used. That is what I would do.

HollywoodPR1

Reaction score
I suggest that all the time to customers. Most of them do it cuz they want the new phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
KXMc

KXMc

Reaction score
That's awesome. Thanks so much. So I can use any old flip phone that is for Verizon, as long as it has a 'clean ESN', right?

HollywoodPR1

Reaction score
Correct. Even working for VZW. I have extra lines

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
Maybe you could "dumb it down" for me? I have one line currently for my Droid. It's early upgrade eligible which is good for 2-year pricing on a TB with a new 2-year contract but supposedly no 1-year contracts allowed. My real upgrade and NE2 date in in July.

So you are suggesting to get my hands on a dumb VZW phone with clean ESN. Then when TB comes out, switch my single Droid account to the dumb phone , buy the TB on 1 or 2yr contract, add a new line to my contract for the TB, swap my Droid phone number to the TB, and swap the new line number to the dumb phone? I could then put the dumb phone is a drawer and pay maybe $11/month as a fee for this flexibility? Then come July when my first line comes into full upgrade eligibility be in a position if I really wanted to see what devices are available and use my NE2?

Did I miss anything?

HollywoodPR1

Reaction score
That sounds about right. What plan are you on?

HollywoodPR1

Reaction score
You pay 89 for it all. No it'd b 99 cuz ud have to change Ur plan so u would b paying 130.

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
You pay 89 for it all. No it'd b 99 cuz ud have to change Ur plan so u would b paying 130.

Sorry you lost me. Yes, my bill (before corp discount) is $89.99. Are you saying to add the line will run it up to $130/month? $40/month extra for the flexibility?

HollywoodPR1

Reaction score
Yes because the family plan talk n txt is 700 min $99 plus your 29.99 unlimited data.

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
Yes because the family plan talk n txt is 700 min $99 plus your 29.99 unlimited data.

I'm hearing you say that the minimum plan that would support the two lines is the family 700 at $99.

Ouch! That takes care of that idea. Thanks for the info though.

HollywoodPR1

Reaction score
Yea I'd just upgrade. But me personally. I'd go that route if I had to actually..... thats wat I will be doing once this phone comes out I gotta add a line and my wife wants a new number. She has a fascinate and hates the hell out of it.