Making free calls?

S

spacemanps

So i am going to be going over on my minutes this month, and i need to call a couple of 1800 numbers for customer support for a few of my devices... i was wondering what program i can use to make these calls and not use my minutes..

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you can't add those numbers to a Friends and Family list then you'd need to look into VOIP solutions.

OP
S

spacemanps

i know skype isnt out for the droid yet... but what other programs would work like that?

clucernoni

Reaction score
How about Google Voice? If you have an account then you are good to go. I use 0 minutes every months.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Go find a payphone, do they still exist?

Or call after 9pm or on the weekend.

OP
S

spacemanps

i have an account... i didnt know i could make 1800 through it with out using my minutes...

i tested it out the other day. i was on the site and i had it call me, then it called a diff number for me.. but that i think used my minutes..

DarrellM5

Reaction score
Search for skype on this forum. You will find a link to the .apk, which you can install. A friend of mine put it on his and it works great.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Even if you use google voice, you're still going to burn cell minutes connecting.

If you have a GV number (not just an account, an actual number), then you can set-up with sipsorcery and sipdroid to get free VoIP. This is an excellent tutorial, though not the easiest to follow for someone completely new to the process (and I consider myself pretty tech savvy for a non-IT person). I also think there are a couple of minor areas that are lacking or not clear.

But this will get you started. If you have any questions, there are a few good threads here to help you.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ae8glDUXDsh9ZGR2eG43cjRfMzNkOTM4ZjNjeA&hl=en&pli=1

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
i have an account... i didnt know i could make 1800 through it with out using my minutes...

i tested it out the other day. i was on the site and i had it call me, then it called a diff number for me.. but that i think used my minutes..
That other number was probably your google voice access number. If you add that to your friends and family then all your calls that you use your goolge number for are free.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can make VOIP Skype Out calls over a wifi connection and VOIP Skype to Skype calls over 3G and wifi with fring.

But you have to pay for Skype. Granted, pretty cheap option and maybe better service/quality than sipgate.

Also, I assume the point is not to pay the extra money, but does the OP know that you can bump up your plan (provided you haven't gone over your currently monthly allowance) and then lower it again for next month? That avoids the egregious 45 cents a minute, but it's like $20 to bump to the next level.

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Actually I called once because i was in the same situation. They can give you a bonus 500 minutes if you quallify (not sure what the qualifications are)

OP
S

spacemanps

That other number was probably your google voice access number. If you add that to your friends and family then all your calls that you use your goolge number for are free.[/QUOTE]

are you sure about this?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That other number was probably your google voice access number. If you add that to your friends and family then all your calls that you use your goolge number for are free.

are you sure about this?[/QUOTE]

Well, besides that, if you start utilizing free VoIP, you probably will have the 450min plan and won't have benefit of friends & family. But VoIP over my WiFi at home works pretty well, assuming my bluetooth will work with it.