Mainstream Media Starting to Catch On to What We Know about Android vs. iPhone

Snow02

Reaction score
He said 13 inch apple is better than quad core windows. Screen size given for one, processor given for the other. Not to mention it was relative to having performance, and the graphics card was not listed for either.

I'm just pointing out the uselessness of the comparison.

Snow02

Reaction score
Gaming, not having. Hate that you can't edit in the news threads.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
He said 13 inch apple is better than quad core windows. Screen size given for one, processor given for the other. Not to mention it was relative to having performance, and the graphics card was not listed for either.

I'm just pointing out the uselessness of the comparison.

i guess some people are confused easily? when i read his statement, my first thought wasn't "why is he comparing his screen size to his processor?"...i thought his point was pretty clear...nitpicking is easier i guess.

kyler13

Reaction score
I am not in full agreement on some of those phones as being better than the iPhone 4. Given most of those phones were developed in the last 6-9 months they should be however just are not. One thing any Android can not compare to is battery life. I have owned both Android and iPhone. I can easily go one plus day on iPhone, where as my Droid X, Droid 1, G2 and Atrix struggled to make it 12 hours.

Careful when you say "Android can not compare" because Android is fine on battery life. Those of us that choose to run the phone off-the-shelf have to deal with custom UI's and carrier bloatware that consumer precious power. It's also a case of how you choose to set your phone up. I don't expect just anyone should root their phone and go with a custom ROM, but it does make things better. I can last an entire day on my Incredible without a problem with plenty to spare by bedtime. Prior to rooting, I had to swap a second battery in at lunchtime every day to make it through the day and I still needed to go on a charger when I got home. Apple does benefit from exerting complete control over the product at the expense of customization.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not in full agreement on some of those phones as being better than the iPhone 4. Given most of those phones were developed in the last 6-9 months they should be however just are not. One thing any Android can not compare to is battery life. I have owned both Android and iPhone. I can easily go one plus day on iPhone, where as my Droid X, Droid 1, G2 and Atrix struggled to make it 12 hours.

Careful when you say "Android can not compare" because Android is fine on battery life. Those of us that choose to run the phone off-the-shelf have to deal with custom UI's and carrier bloatware that consumer precious power. It's also a case of how you choose to set your phone up. I don't expect just anyone should root their phone and go with a custom ROM, but it does make things better. I can last an entire day on my Incredible without a problem with plenty to spare by bedtime. Prior to rooting, I had to swap a second battery in at lunchtime every day to make it through the day and I still needed to go on a charger when I got home. Apple does benefit from exerting complete control over the product at the expense of customization.

i'd say it doesn't compare even with rooting. your not going to get ios-like battery life on android, no matter what you do. and the things you have to do to come close kinda takes away from the android experience doesn't it? i mean people say "of course you wont have battery life if you have like 40 widgets" and then in the same breath will say "widgets are the best!!!" etc...turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth, dont use widgets, use task killers, use autostarts, etc, do all these tweaks that the average user is not going to do, or has any interest in doing.

my d1 comes close after all the tweaks, but its not iphone like and i dont see how the more powerful phones could be any better.

but yes, the customization is not there of course, but if you can root to save battery, then i guess ios users can say you can jailbreak to customize.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ios dont need dual core, I can see the desire to put it on the tablet, but for thye phone itself nah. I do think it will come with dual core which will make it one of the fastest device, if not THE fastest device, on the market. Because ios runs one process at a time its not bouged down so it really dont need the aid of an extra processor.

But if they add widgets in IOS 5 it will be interesting to see how that affects performance. Widgets chew up ram and can also burn battery if they are set to update too frequently (or even infrequently in an area with a weak 3G signal).

Never experimented to see how my phone would run if my homescreen was set-up like an IPhone (with just app shortcuts sprawled across and no widgets). The way Android manages memory has clear advantages and disadvantages, so it will be very interesting to see how Apple does it if they add widgets.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
my d1 comes close after all the tweaks, but its not iphone like and i dont see how the more powerful phones could be any better.

True, and I completely agree about what would be the point if you aren't adding widgets and customizations, but it does make battery life comparisons somewhat apples-to-oranges.

IMO, a phone only really needs to get about 18 hours under heavy use and then just charge overnight. Sure, nothing really gets that but there shouldn't be anything wrong with charging once a day. It's a minor inconvenience/cost, but an extra charger for the car or office should make it a fairly trivial issue for 90-95% of consumers anyway.

Heck, Google Nav can kill my full charge in 45 minutes, so the comparisons are relative (and one might argue I'm stupid trying to run Google Nav without a car adapter).

On a side note, I don't care about an ultra-thin phone. Give me the option for a stock beefed-up battery (as opposed to having to pay extra for a whole second battery).

kyler13

Reaction score
i'd say it doesn't compare even with rooting. your not going to get ios-like battery life on android, no matter what you do. and the things you have to do to come close kinda takes away from the android experience doesn't it? i mean people say "of course you wont have battery life if you have like 40 widgets" and then in the same breath will say "widgets are the best!!!" etc...turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth, dont use widgets, use task killers, use autostarts, etc, do all these tweaks that the average user is not going to do, or has any interest in doing.

but yes, the customization is not there of course, but if you can root to save battery, then i guess ios users can say you can jailbreak to customize.

And I have to disagree because I'm getting a day easy with moderate use, including bluetooth streaming of Pandora or my cloud music during my drive to and from work. I'm also running the same line-up of widgets I was with the stock ROM and Sense. I've easily tripled my battery life and no longer need to rely on a back up power source. I no longer swap batteries, and I don't charge until bedtime (sometimes when I get home if my use has been heavier) as typically it's ~20% by 10pm after coming off the charger around 5:30am. I can use GPS on the drive home to route around traffic. It doesn't matter. Maybe it's Gingerbread? I don't know. Now granted, the average user isn't going to root and customize their ROM, but Android OS is perfectly capable of great battery life, not terribly far behind iOS, with much more functionality. That was my point. It's not the OS, it's the crap the manufacturer and carrier choose to lock onto the device that suck down the battery and kill that part of the experience. I'm an advocate of vanilla Android now because of this. My next phone will be rooted far earlier than I did this one.

As for jailbreaking, there's only so much you can do without certain core functionality built into iOS. I mean, we're not talking about setting wallpapers and themes. There's much more to Android than that, right?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

And I have to disagree because I'm getting a day easy with moderate use, including bluetooth streaming of Pandora or my cloud music during my drive to and from work. I'm also running the same line-up of widgets I was with the stock ROM and Sense. I've easily tripled my battery life and no longer need to rely on a back up power source. I no longer swap batteries, and I don't charge until bedtime (sometimes when I get home if my use has been heavier) as typically it's ~20% by 10pm after coming off the charger around 5:30am. I can use GPS on the drive home to route around traffic. It doesn't matter. Maybe it's Gingerbread? I don't know. Now granted, the average user isn't going to root and customize their ROM, but Android OS is perfectly capable of great battery life, not terribly far behind iOS, with much more functionality. That was my point. It's not the OS, it's the crap the manufacturer and carrier choose to lock onto the device that suck down the battery and kill that part of the experience. I'm an advocate of vanilla Android now because of this. My next phone will be rooted far earlier than I did this one.

As for jailbreaking, there's only so much you can do without certain core functionality built into iOS. I mean, we're not talking about setting wallpapers and themes. There's much more to Android than that, right?

I'm sure you can appreciate that your situation is a complete anomaly. If not, I'd love for you to share your setup, because I would love to stream pandora to/from work, as well as gps and still have 20% after 17 hrs lol. Again, if you are able to do this, you're a rare case. It's not as if you discovered some secret tweak that no one else on the forum knows about....or have you? (cue dramatic music). My d1 gets about twenty hours but no chance if I'm streaming pandora or using gps...so again do share your setup and we'll see how many can duplicate it.

Second, again, you don't have to go through these hoops to get 17 hrs on ios. You can get 24+ stock. You don't need to hack, tweak, and turn on/off radios...and why should you have to?

And to your last point, what are you talking about with root that enhances core functionality? Not being dumb, I'm just curious?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I would ask that you try a Droid X1 and see if it compares. The Droid X1 is one of the best Android phones when it comes to battery life, probably the Droid 2 also. The iPhone will still come out on top, but the Droid X 1 and probably Droid 2 will be closer than most other Android phones.

Doing a battery test I was able to get 29 hrs on my Droid X1. The screen was on for 4 hours. I did about an 1/2 an hour of playing games, web browsing, talking on the phone, etc. The newer chips help some what with battery life for Android phones. The chip in the Droid 1 is older than the one in the Droid X1.

Turn off 4G on the Charge and it might be better than the iPhone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I would ask that you try a Droid X1 and see if it compares. The Droid X1 is one of the best Android phones when it comes to battery life, probably the Droid 2 also. The iPhone will still come out on top, but the Droid X 1 and probably Droid 2 will be closer than most other Android phones.

Doing a battery test I was able to get 29 hrs on my Droid X1. The screen was on for 4 hours. I did about an 1/2 an hour of playing games, web browsing, talking on the phone, etc. The newer chips help some what with battery life for Android phones. The chip in the Droid 1 is older than the one in the Droid X1.

Turn off 4G on the Charge and it might be better than the iPhone.

I did not know that about the droidx but a quick google search shows you are correct as it's gotten high praise for its battery. So, we know it is possible, now I wonder why every manufacturer can't figure it out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AppleClassAct

Reaction score
Dropping iPhone for Droid

I was mostly ambivalent to Apple until just yesterday. I even had an iPhone for over a year. Then I made the disastrous decision to upgrade to iOS4. iTunes claimed it was backing up all my data. But as one techie at Apple informed me, "That means nothing". If it ever really did attempt a back up it never checked that the back up was successful. It never warned me that it was about to wipe my drive and I should double check that everything was backed up. Then it proceeded to blissfully wipe my drive without a second thought and then ask if I wanted to restore are set up as a new phone. Needless to say, I wanted my data back. But that was not in the cards. All Apple techies can do is blame the user. Well if you had a back up this would not have have happened. Well if they had warned me like M$ does when it is about to do something this drastic, I would have a good back up now wouldn't I. Apple is always blame the user. I consider this to be blatant reckless negligence. Any one who agrees can follow me on Twitter, AppleClassAct same name on gmail.

So I need some help moving to Droid. I am an ex-software engineer so capable but been out of the industry for years and would just as soon not be challenging myself. Just a basic phone with GOOD GPS.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Good gps? I would probably not get any phone from the Galaxy S 1 line from last year. Dont know how good it is now, but it was flaky enough for a while that it probably isnt reliable enough.

Motorola has good GPS. HTC should be too.