Mainstream Media Starting to Catch On to What We Know about Android vs. iPhone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android_apple_Bite.jpg

A recent article on Yahoo News! from "The Street" writer Scott Moritz, caught my eye. The title to the article is, "10 Androids That Outmuscle the iPhone", and it goes to show that the mainstream media is really catching on to what we already knew about Android vs. iPhone. Apparently, there are going to be several Androids that are much better than the iPhone. Who'da thunk it?

Several of the phones mentioned in the article were very notable Androids, although some aren't even that impressive. He specifically named the following 10 devices as the phones that were "out-muscling" the iPhone:
  • Samsung Nexus S, Sprint
  • LG Optimus (Pretty sure he was talking about the follow-up version)
  • Samsung Droid Charge, Verizon
  • Samsung Function (probably VZW version of Galaxy S II), Verizon
  • Motorola Mobility Targa (probably the Bionic), Verizon
  • HTC Sensation, AT&T
  • LG Revolution, Verizon
  • Samsung Infuse, AT&T
  • HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon
  • Motorola Atrix, AT&T
The article had this to say about the Android ecosystem starting to dominate the market over the iPhone,
The presumed delay of the next iPhone from June to September, and the decision to wait a year on 4G LTE upgrade highlight just a few of the areas where Apple has been lagging behind the leaders in the Android pack.

"The processor and display quality improvement in the Android camp is proceeding at such a clip that Apple will be under a lot of pressure to deliver a substantial jump in iPhone specs next autumn," MKM Partners' analyst Tero Kuittinen.

"It's not clear how Apple can battle the rapid Android evolution," says Kuittinen, "unless it picks up the pace of its iPhone launches."
Of course the Android tech news websites already post this stuff daily, but it's interesting to see it really start to take hold in the "mainstream" media. Most of the time when you see articles comparing the Android to the iPhone in regular news outlets, the articles tend to "favor" the Apple product a bit. It's nice to see people starting to see that we don't all have to drink the Apple "Kool-aid" and that there is an alternative "fruit-punch" out there.

Source: Android.net via Yahoo News!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
And now HTC and Moto are making some noise about unlocking bootloaders! What's it gonna be Apple? Huh? Whatcha got?!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is the history of Apple. They do what they want, when they want and don't care about what the rest of the world is doing. And because of this, they pop their bubble and end up 'disappearing' (aka no new innovations) for a decade until they get a new product people wants.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ehhh, Apple isn't about value and the cutting edge really (if we can distinguish between market/new product innovation and product evolution). The IPhone is a great phone, maybe not as great a value, but the marketing and branding makes up for it.

Apple has a great business model. They leverage across platforms and entrench users. They probably won't dominate any one market longer-term, but they'll be hugely successful capturing significant share across multiple verticals. Businesses that try to be all things to all people usually fail.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ehhh, Apple isn't about value and the cutting edge really (if we can distinguish between market/new product innovation and product evolution). The IPhone is a great phone, maybe not as great a value, but the marketing and branding makes up for it.

Apple has a great business model. They leverage across platforms and entrench users. They probably won't dominate any one market longer-term, but they'll be hugely successful capturing significant share across multiple verticals. Businesses that try to be all things to all people usually fail.

+1...i don't think apple really has a need or interest in participating in the pissing contests. They've consistently shattered records every quarter and have improved YOY profit wise for a loooong time. I doubt any sleep is being lost at apple HQ. The only thing in play here is ego, and on that end apple may be a little hurt, but ego and sales don't necessarily go hand in hand (as evidenced by apples ridiculous success)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They've consistently shattered records every quarter and have improved YOY profit wise for a loooong time. I doubt any sleep is being lost at apple HQ. The only thing in play here is ego, and on that end apple may be a little hurt, but ego and sales don't necessarily go hand in hand (as evidenced by apples ridiculous success)

I'm sure they fantasized about keeping an IPod-type strangehold on the smartphone market, but they're crying all the way to the bank. They've never really shown much interest in targeting the value buyer and that's a big reason why their margins are comparatively higher than their competitors.

They'll probably be the first to come out with a good 3-in-1 smartphone/tablet/laptop device and send shockwaves thru the market, again.

Reaction score
Christ... I hate when they refer to android as a whole as the "ecosystem" lose the apple banter plz

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
out sell which iphone, because the samsung galaxy devices are the reason apple went back to the drawing board and then decided to file a law suit to claim copyright infringement. Also we have the evo device (evo/sprint, tbolt/vzw, inspire/att)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
out sell which iphone, because the samsung galaxy devices are the reason apple went back to the drawing board and then decided to file a law suit to claim copyright infringement. Also we have the evo device (evo/sprint, tbolt/vzw, inspire/att)

Is there any individual android phone that's outsold any iteration of the iphone? I know, I know, it's about choice yadda yadda, my point in alking the question is that saying android phones "outmuscle" the iphone clearly doesn't mean much since apple has zero problem selling units.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just like in the computer market long ago, Apple marketed and revolutionized the smart phone market. Basically for past couple of years oems have been trying to play catch up. And that is what Apple has done well. They come up with a new idea and just as the competitor finally catch up they move to something else. They are doing that now. The iPhone will continue to gain sells and will always have a fan base, but its not the only product and with any top dog people line up around the corner to give their best shot at them. Apple may be slipping in the smart phone department but they are killing in the tablet market. One report showed that Apple will not have the resources to meet the demands of the iPad 2. No other tablet comes close. The xoom could have made a dent but they over priced their product and asus may be too late. Apple have dominated the tablet market and it is partly due to individuals who may not care to own an iPhone but are willing to buy an iPad. About time Android get an OS and a market to truly take advantage of the tablet Apple would have moved on to something else. If we add up all the iPhone sells since its birth Android will not catch up. But now Android as an OS will continue to push Apple and vice verse.

sent from droidforums app

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just like in the computer market long ago, Apple marketed and revolutionized the smart phone market. Basically for past couple of years oems have been trying to play catch up. And that is what Apple has done well. They come up with a new idea and just as the competitor finally catch up they move to something else. They are doing that now. The iPhone will continue to gain sells and will always have a fan base, but its not the only product and with any top dog people line up around the corner to give their best shot at them. Apple may be slipping in the smart phone department but they are killing in the tablet market. One report showed that Apple will not have the resources to meet the demands of the iPad 2. No other tablet comes close. The xoom could have made a dent but they over priced their product and asus may be too late. Apple have dominated the tablet market and it is partly due to individuals who may not care to own an iPhone but are willing to buy an iPad. About time Android get an OS and a market to truly take advantage of the tablet Apple would have moved on to something else. If we add up all the iPhone sells since its birth Android will not catch up. But now Android as an OS will continue to push Apple and vice verse.

Yep agreed, and I never disputed that. What I do dispute is the people that Android is going to bury Apple or something. That's just silly, and if you look at the numbers, that couldnt be further from the truth...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That will not happen. Apply had a niche and its providing a smart phone to avg people. I had a coworkers who had an iPhone and navigate through it just fine. He bought an Android device and he was lost. The iPhone is basic, turn it on and hit the icon. I had to explain to him on Android that you had to turn things off when not in.use. also had to explain about widgets, the market and how you have to pay attention to what you download. To make sure you exit out of apps so they are not running in the background and hogging up memory. Some people love being in control of every little detail so the Android OS is perfect for them. Others don't want to have to go through all that just for a phone. Ios is simple and it just works and because of that and the fact, unlike the MAC books, its priced at the same as the competitor they will always be around and hovering around the top of the pack.