Lots of freezing and rebooting on Droid X2 and repecement phones.

devortiz06

Reaction score
I have been trying to help someone figure out what is wrong with their droid X2. They have got two replacements from verizon but all three phones have had the same problems. They often freeze requireing the battery to be removed to get it to reboot but the biggest problem has been that it reboots randomly quite often. The reboots aren't always completely random, they almost always reboot when they recieve a call, and often durring calls. Has anyone else had similar problems, what causes this?

None of the phones were rooted and there havn't been that many apps added to any of them. I can't think of any reason these phones would have so much trouble and all verizon will do is send out another, which then has the same problem. I have a rooted droid incredible and have never had this many problems even when experimenting with custom roms.

Kibaby

Reaction score
My phone does the same even after 2 swaps. I can't figure it out, if you do let me know.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

tamlin42

Reaction score
Often, it isn't about how many apps, as you just need one that misbehaves. sideloading pirate apps from untrusted sources is the mostly likely way for these sorts of problems to arise, but it can also happen with "task-killers" "memory managers" and "battery savers". no apps of these types are going to net a real benefit to you.

I have no input aside from that.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've thing you can try... Reboot into recovery and wipe the cache partition

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
There definitely aren't any pirated apps on it. The few apps that have been added all came from the market and none of them seem suspicious. It did come with a task killer though (pre-installed by Verizon or Motorola) but I think Verizon removed that when there were problems with the first one, the problems persisted. I did once clear the cache it went about a day without rebooting itself after that but these phones don't get very much use, daily or more often cache wiping definitely shouldn't be necessary.

And about battery saving apps, I see great benefits from using juice defender on my HTC incredible, without it my battery barely makes it through the day with minimal use, with it I still have 60% at the end of the day with minimal use.

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
UPDATE: The problem continues to occur with random reboots at least daily. This is the third droid X2 (after replacements from verizon) to have this problem. Most recently verizon provided a replacement battery as well as that was the only part that remained constant but the problem continued. I have also cleared the cache several times with no effect. After looking more closely I noticed that this phone only had about 5 downloaded apps plus updates for built in apps, a Sudoku game, square (credit card reader), an sms backup app and 2 others (nothing suspicious or pirated, and the phone is definitly not overloaded with only 5 apps). None of these run in the background automatically so they shouldn't be responsible for these almost completely random reboots (they are most common when making or receiving a call but can occur anytime). My best guess to the cause of this problem is that there is some kind of hardware or software problem with these phones but it takes some time to show up so when they are sent back and refurbished it goes unnoticed and then they are returned to the verizon store without actually fixing this problem.

Reaction score
The problem isn't hardware. You are wasting your time exchanging phones. The problem is buggy OS software. Flash the phone with Cyanogenmod 7 and you'll get rid of the reboots.

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
The problem isn't hardware. You are wasting your time exchanging phones. The problem is buggy OS software. Flash the phone with Cyanogenmod 7 and you'll get rid of the reboots.

That makes sense, I wondered if that would work but can't try it. I have Cyanogenmod 7 on my droid incredible and it runs great but this droid X2 isn't my phone. They have been told by many people not to root it, the vast majority of these people have tried or know anything about rooting but they definitly outnumber those who support rooting, so they're probably stuck with a buggy phone for the next 2 years.

beungood

Reaction score
How do we get that on our x-2's? Am I better off just using my upgrade now?

stf

Reaction score
Hello All,

I love, or have been in love with my Droid X2 for sometime now. I have had her for about a year, previously having owned the Droid X. She has worked like a charm for the last year. Starting two weeks ago however, I too, have been encountering vast problems with my phone. She freezes all the time now, powers off when she feel likes it, is slower then ever, and on top of that, her battery life is now no more then 3 hours.....max!

This phone as been working like a charm since I purchased it, this has all transpired in the last 4 weeks or so. Please help

The STF

beungood

Reaction score
Yes that is what I meant? What does it do? Is it a pain to do? I would like to wait for the Droid Fighter or what ever the new good phone before I use my upgrade.

Reaction score
Cyanogenmod is a "ROM" a complete replacement operating system for your phone. It's like taking your PC and erasing Windows Xp to install Windows 7. Pain is relative. Read the thread I linked and see if that is something you think you can do. There are a lot of steps you must do in order to put a new ROM on your phone. It really isn't hard but can be daunting to someone if you've never done something like it before.

beungood

Reaction score
Cyanogenmod is a "ROM" a complete replacement operating system for your phone. It's like taking your PC and erasing Windows Xp to install Windows 7. Pain is relative. Read the thread I linked and see if that is something you think you can do. There are a lot of steps you must do in order to put a new ROM on your phone. It really isn't hard but can be daunting to someone if you've never done something like it before.

I am not sure I am adept enough to do this! I'd try it if someone who routinely did this sort of thing did it for mr or was there..

amg3467

Reaction score
honestly i didn't think i could do it either, i did it and now this phone kicks major ass. read through it, it looks scary but it really isn't hard