Lost root

seyaffe

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know you all have probably heard this before, but here's my problem. I was running stock 2.2 rooted with clockwork, and accidentally allowed the 2.2 ota update to install. As a result, i lost my root, clockwork got overwritten, and the stock recovery doesnt work. After this, i just forgot about it for a while, and also installed the 2.2.1 update when it came out. Right now i have the superuser icon still there, but its not functioning. At this point, what would be the best way to get root back? (short of sbf hopefully, but ik thats an option)

OP
S

seyaffe

Reaction score
A few questions:
1) Will this work even if I have superuser currently there but not working?
2) If I see the triangle when i boot into recovery, but the volume up/camera button combo doesnt work, is my frs broken?
3) Will i lose my data?

stratjb

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know you all have probably heard this before, but here's my problem. I was running stock 2.2 rooted with clockwork, and accidentally allowed the 2.2 ota update to install. As a result, i lost my root, clockwork got overwritten, and the stock recovery doesnt work. After this, i just forgot about it for a while, and also installed the 2.2.1 update when it came out. Right now i have the superuser icon still there, but its not functioning. At this point, what would be the best way to get root back? (short of sbf hopefully, but ik thats an option)

If you don't care about loading Roms and Kernals you could just use SuperOneClick to first "officially" unroot and then reroot. Took me about 10 to 15 minutes and root was back! It does require a computer though.

OP
S

seyaffe

Reaction score
Hm. I mean i could just download rom manager and flash a recovery. Superoneclick works with 2.2.1?

stratjb

Reaction score
Yup, SuperOneClick worked for me! The key is that the unroot part works on the broken root. Then re-root is quick and painless.

OP
S

seyaffe

Reaction score
How long does this normally take to unroot? Its been about 5 minutes and its stuck on "removing superuser.apk"