Lost root in ICS leak upgrade

Sandlotje

Reaction score
I followed this thread exactly from razrforums.com:

1) Download this torrent.

2) Make sure you have ROM, ES File Explorer (Make sure root access and system writable are enabled in the ES file explorer settings), and have root access to your system but are on an otherwise stock COMPLETELY UNMODIFIED installation of 173. In ROM Manager, DO NOT INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD. Just have the ROM Manager app itself installed.

2a) If you plan to have root after the update, make sure you have voodoo OTA Rootkeeper protecting your root before proceeding. (Install it, free in the market, open it and select protect root.)

3) Copy the 2 from that torrent into your /cache folder on the root of your system (see the picss below, just press the indicated buttons in es file)

4) When the copy operation is complete, tap the and select ROM Manager when it asks you what to use to open the file.

5) ROM Manager will automatically open and prompt you that a reboot is necessary to complete the operation. Hit OK/Accept.

6) The system will reboot and install the ICS leak.

But I lost root. I actually did the process twice. The first time I used the Razr utility to fastboot back to 2.3.6, and redid the whole process to make sure I did it properly. When I go into terminal emulator, I get this issue:

View attachment 49016

Apparently I'm not the only one, but I want to create a thread designated for this issue. It's driving me crazy. I assume there is no known way to regain root once in ICS without the voodoo method, correct?

razrfisher

Reaction score
I had the same issues over the weekend. Tried multiple times and the following finally was my answer.

I used the new utility (1.51) to go back to 173. Then rooted and updated the superuser binary to most recent. Then protected root using voodoo. Updated to ICS and tried voodoo to reroot but it failed. So then ran terminal emulator as stated and finally it worked.

I am not sure if it was using the new utility to go back to 173 or updating superuser which finally cleaned it up. Hope that helps!

OP
S

Sandlotje

Reaction score
I had the same issues over the weekend. Tried multiple times and the following finally was my answer.

I used the new utility (1.51) to go back to 173. Then rooted and updated the superuser binary to most recent. Then protected root using voodoo. Updated to ICS and tried voodoo to reroot but it failed. So then ran terminal emulator as stated and finally it worked.

I am not sure if it was using the new utility to go back to 173 or updating superuser which finally cleaned it up. Hope that helps!

Good to know. I've read a few things that indicate that the version of superuser was what might have been the issue but I'm fixing to do the same thing. Update everything then install ICS and hope for a difference.

OP
S

Sandlotje

Reaction score
Alrighty after many frustrating hours, this finally did the trick. Thank you razrfisher for contributing your success and details. I was working off of the 1.41 Razr utility, and I agree that 1.51 was definitely needed. It was much faster to download 1.51 through torrent by the way. (Took about half the time... it's 1.24Gb)

Just for the record, I'm working off of Superuser version 2.3.6 and Su binary v3.0.3.2. This can be checked in the Superuser app under settings at the bottom.