Lost Contacts for Droid X

klumos

Reaction score
I have seen this happen to a samsung moment running 2.1. This fix for it was going into contacts and hit menu then display groups and check everything under the gmail account. On that phone for some reason it would just decide to hide everything. Not sure if the X has the same option yet tho.

Chumley

Reaction score
So you're saying if your not facebook friends then you can't get them to show up in the contacts? I'm a very casual user of facebook and would like to be able to keep these things seperate.
I get my phone Monday, I really hope this gets figured out by then.

sneakumlax

Reaction score
Sneakumlax, i also had the same issue. Facebook overwrites all contacts with your Facebook contacts. Another issue. I uninstalled the Social Networking - Facebook account.

At one point I had my transferred contacts and my facebook contacts in there. I uninstalled the facebook app and ever single one of my contacts was deleted. After I reinstalled facebook, I only recovered my facebook contacts

dgulotta1

Reaction score
Whats Sneakumlax said is 100%. It temporarily shows up in Contacts, but the phone never actually links them as Phone Contacts. When you do anything to modify your contacts (add, edit or delete) it refreshes its own view and then they disappear. Its not a simple issue.

And no, its not a filter or view issue again

klumos

Reaction score
I am telling you I have had this EXACT same problem with a friends moment it did the same EXACT thing there is an option some where that isnt checked. Also have you looked at your gmail account sync? Is sync contacts selected? Because if not your contacts wont show up on the phone.

dgulotta1

Reaction score
I have 1 contact in GMail. I dont keep GMail contacts.

All options have been checked. No dice.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont see it either, I see 6 options:

add contact
backup assistant
search
display group
my info
more

So what happens if you click on backup assistant? It may be in there.

There has got to be something similar to import and export contacts with.

If you can type in a few letters of the name and it pops up, I can guarantee those contacts are sitting on your SD card. There has got to be a way to import them from the SD card.

dgulotta1

Reaction score
Nope, Backup Assistant shows i have 11 contacts. I really have 268.

They dont pop up when you type them. They are not on the SD card anywhere. We check the whole file structure and did so with the Verizon techs at the store. Not on SD card anywhere.

They only come up when you go to Contacts and then hit Search. They whole list then pops up when you search. There is some sort of metadata missing or incorrectly stamped on these records in the phone, OR the views in the phone software are flawed. All Contacts only shows 11 contacts. The list i have has 268.

69kram

Reaction score
Exact same problem

I'm having the exact same problem with viewing my contacts. I got the X yesterday at best buy and they Xfered 168 contacts from my old ATT Blackberry 8310. Initially all contacts viewed fine when you tapped the generic contacts icon, but after turning the phone OFF/ON they were no longer there...only the ones that came with the phone. (We didnt notice at that time that they could all be accessed only thru search.) So the BB tech and I re-xferred the contacts from the blackberry and lo-and-behold they all appeared in the Contacts again. UNTIL I left BB and turned it OFF/ON again...now its back to being F'ed up. Also noticed that when viewing each contact it shows "Linked Profiles (2)" which is either two identical phone #'s or two identical Contact names.

iByatch

Reaction score
Contacts mis-linked/sync'd

Same issue here, but just for reference, I haven't sync'd to a Gmail account yet. They transferred my contacts from my old phone to my Droid X but I can only see them ALL if I got to make a call and then search contacts. If I just go straight to contacts, only the "base/starter" ones are there and any that I've added since getting the phone. No filter is blocking the list.

Since the base/starter contacts show, I suspect that there is more than one file where the contact info is stored and that the file where the contacts were imported to isn't linked/sync'd to the local file.

dgulotta1

Reaction score
Called Motorola. This is a new Droid X known issue. They said that the contacts need to somehow be put into the SDCard. Thats hard considering that the Verizon store machines can not choose a destination for the Contacts to go on the phone.

Their proposed solution: get the contacts into a CSV somehow off the source device. Then import them into the Backup Assistant online and sync them with the phone that way.

Only other ways, as of now until the release a software fix are:

1) Get them into the GMail contact list and sync (then Google has all of ur contact into)
2) Enter each one manually into the phone

OP
R

rabbitstew

Reaction score
So we'll anxiously await a software fix, I suppose. Thanks for the help guys.

iByatch

Reaction score
My fix for lost contacts

As mentioned earlier, the VZW store did the contacts xfer, but they only existed if I chose the call option first. If I went to Contacts, nothing but the base ones were there.

I actually spent a bunch of time dicking around with a CSV file, uploaded it to Gmail, then sync'd back to the Droid, but the numbers imported to Gmail as notes, not Home, Cell, etc.

So I went back to BitPim (my old LG is supported) and:

1. Exported my contacts to a vCard (.vcf) file
2. Imported the vcf to Gmail Contacts
3. Did a hard reset on the Droid to blow out all the old contact data
- Warning, this will delete all your apps, settings, etc.
4. Reconnected to the Gmail account

The sync from Gmail Contacts to the Droid was flawless and all my Contacts are now located in both Contacts and through the Phone Directory. dancedroid