Looking for my next phone, G4 or Nexus 6

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
I'm considering a move from Verizon to T Mobile, and need a new phone. I have a G2 and like it so I was considering a G4, but the Nexus 6 looks nice too. any thoughts? I don't root but do like to tinker with customizing my phone. I would root but I read a lot of issues people have with various things and don't want to risk bricking my only phone.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You have two great picks for your next phone.. I'd totally love the Nexus as it's so smooth running.. You will be able to unlock and root in a minute.. size feels great to me but you will have to see it in person for your taste.. Extra screen real estate is great.. camera although not as good to G4 with new enhancements is still holds it's own for us normal folks.. G4 has great form factor in hands and smaller screen.. Screen is sharp and plenty happy peeps with it.. They let you customize a little with their settings.. I'm personally not a fan of the UI but I did enjoy my G2 experience.. root will probably be achieved sometime in near future for it..
Good luck with your decision and switch from Big Red..

Z3+tapatalk

OP
SILVER COUPE

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
Thanks for your input bk, I'm gonna go to a T-Mobile and play with both phones myself before I decide. How's the battery life on the Nexus? My G2 doesn't really last me all day, but I don't dim my screen all that much either.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You have two great picks for your next phone.. I'd totally love the Nexus as it's so smooth running.. You will be able to unlock and root in a minute.. size feels great to me but you will have to see it in person for your taste.. Extra screen real estate is great.. camera although not as good to G4 with new enhancements is still holds it's own for us normal folks.............
Good luck with your decision and switch from Big Red..

Z3+tapatalk

I have to agree with @bkdodger. The Nexus 6 is one sweet device, and does everything I've asked of it with no problems. Check it out in the store and you'll probably adjust to the size within a few minutes, and unless you're a phone camera fiend, the camera on the 6 is more than adequate. Good luck.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Thanks for your input bk, I'm gonna go to a T-Mobile and play with both phones myself before I decide. How's the battery life on the Nexus? My G2 doesn't really last me all day, but I don't dim my screen all that much either.
Battery life is solid. standby sips and when I use it which is often it last me till the evening no problem... Quick charge it for a quick bump on heavy days.. @smalltowngirl13 and @YankInDaSouth have G4 so they can definitely get more thoughts.. But yes go try them in store so you can get a feel...

Z3+tapatalk

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I'm on T-Mobile and recently jumped to the G4 from the Nexus 6. Really loving the G4!

Notable differences for me:

Size - Nexus 6 is big, no two ways about it. Even coming from a Note 3 beforehand the N6 always felt just a tad too wide for me. The G4 feels great in hand yet still gives you a nice big screen.

Sceen quality - G4 all the way. Turning ambient display off on the N6 helps, but I'd still give the edge to the G4 screen

Camera - N6 camera definitely lacks respect! It's camera lived up to my needs. However, the camera on the G4 is just stupid good! The in-depth features of manual mode make me want to take photography classes LOL

Features - I love me some stock Android, dont get me wrong, but (IMO) it lacks features and that leads to rooting and flashing ROMs. Which I used to love doing, but life and times change and I'd rather just simply run my phone nowadays rather than constantly flashing, tweaking, fixing it. G4 has great features that are actually useful! Customizable navigation keys, customizable notification shade quick settings, lockscreen app shortcuts, separate wallpaper on lockscreen, IR blaster, etc. Several features I see on the the G4 remind me of features in custom ROMs.

Bloat - enough can't be said about having a Nexus device free of manufacturer and carrier bloat! T-Mo G4 isn't without bloat, that's for sure but thankfully all of it can be disabled either via the built in method or by using the debloater utility.

Battery - I actually had better battery life with my N6. But a removable battery on the G4 is great. Just got my free battery and charging cradle from LG and now I go from 5% to 100% in about 40 seconds

Sound - front facing speakers really should be the new standard for smartphones! G4 is definitely loud, but the stereo front facing speakers on the Nexus 6 are just awesome!

Connectivity - finding the G4 is maintaining signal in areas my N6 did not. 4G on the G4 is more consistent.

Call quality - both have great call quality. Loud and crisp audio on both.

Root - no root available as of yet on the G4, but honestly I don't miss it! Does that mean that should root become available I won't root? Probably not because I forgot how obnoxious and intrusive ads are! The G4 stock/rooted would make this awesome device just that much better!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any more questions feel free to ask!

G4'ed it!

OP
SILVER COUPE

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
I'm on T-Mobile and recently jumped to the G4 from the Nexus 6. Really loving the G4!

Notable differences for me:

Size - Nexus 6 is big, no two ways about it. Even coming from a Note 3 beforehand the N6 always felt just a tad too wide for me. The G4 feels great in hand yet still gives you a nice big screen.

Sceen quality - G4 all the way. Turning ambient display off on the N6 helps, but I'd still give the edge to the G4 screen

Camera - N6 camera definitely lacks respect! It's camera lived up to my needs. However, the camera on the G4 is just stupid good! The in-depth features of manual mode make me want to take photography classes LOL

Features - I love me some stock Android, dont get me wrong, but (IMO) it lacks features and that leads to rooting and flashing ROMs. Which I used to love doing, but life and times change and I'd rather just simply run my phone nowadays rather than constantly flashing, tweaking, fixing it. G4 has great features that are actually useful! Customizable navigation keys, customizable notification shade quick settings, lockscreen app shortcuts, separate wallpaper on lockscreen, IR blaster, etc. Several features I see on the the G4 remind me of features in custom ROMs.

Bloat - enough can't be said about having a Nexus device free of manufacturer and carrier bloat! T-Mo G4 isn't without bloat, that's for sure but thankfully all of it can be disabled either via the built in method or by using the debloater utility.

Battery - I actually had better battery life with my N6. But a removable battery on the G4 is great. Just got my free battery and charging cradle from LG and now I go from 5% to 100% in about 40 seconds

Sound - front facing speakers really should be the new standard for smartphones! G4 is definitely loud, but the stereo front facing speakers on the Nexus 6 are just awesome!

Connectivity - finding the G4 is maintaining signal in areas my N6 did not. 4G on the G4 is more consistent.

Call quality - both have great call quality. Loud and crisp audio on both.

Root - no root available as of yet on the G4, but honestly I don't miss it! Does that mean that should root become available I won't root? Probably not because I forgot how obnoxious and intrusive ads are! The G4 stock/rooted would make this awesome device just that much better!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any more questions feel free to ask!

G4'ed it!

Thanks YankInDaSouth, i appreciate your review. i think im gonna go with the G4, just nervous to pull the trigger and switch networks. most people i talked to say T Mobile is ok around here, but none are really the techy type and may just except the service they get from T Mobile. im still researching T Mobile here in VA.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Once you get TMO sorted out, you should do well with the G4. It's a great device..

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Thanks YankInDaSouth, i appreciate your review. i think im gonna go with the G4, just nervous to pull the trigger and switch networks. most people i talked to say T Mobile is ok around here, but none are really the techy type and may just except the service they get from T Mobile. im still researching T Mobile here in VA.
Wifi calling is a great plus with TMobile as well ... Help fill the void in certain situations.

Why not start new service with TMobile and run it concurrently with your Verizon service? If all goes well just port your # to TMobile ...

G4'ed it!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It was a great review by @YankInDaSouth...believe me we talk about this all the time in the back room.. We are always testing and sharing thoughts on phones.. Especially with @smalltowngirl13 who has every phone lol .. She loves the G4
I just updated my friend's G2 Friday night.. That phone is still solid IMO.. LG has done a great job with their latest... I'm waiting on that next LG Nexus.. I disable everything just like this Z3+..haha
I just enjoy stock no extras..

As for T-mobile try them out.. Only way you really going to find out... I did last year it didn't work for me but plenty happy peeps with service.. I returned the phone day 13 and they refunded me full..
I went from Verizon to T-mobile and I'm happy on AT&T now..
One thing I don't miss about Verizon.. I can buy unlocked phones like One+ and international ones like this Z3+

Z3+tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on what part of Virginia. I did the switch about a year ago and found the reception in central, southern and northern Virginia to be better than Verizon but when traveling to western Virginia horrid or worse. I was pleasantly surprised areas such as Dinwiddie and southern Chesterfield , Goochland, Wakefield, Orange, Emporia,etc had excellent signal in spite of their rural locations. In areas such as Richmond, Petersburg, Charlottesville and Virginia Beach T-Mobile had little to no network congestion issues like Verizon gets. All around town of my home city Verizon is 2 bars max , with high congestion, and T-Mobile 4 bars least with no congestion.
I'd suggest talk to T-Mobile, see if your current phone is capable of using one of their SIM cards, like my Note2 is, and if so try it for a bit and if it meets your demand go for it. Your data speeds will be slower on a T-Mobile SIM card in a Verizon phone but it'll give you a good prognosis of whether you'll be satisfied with the reception quality.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel like everyone in this thread provided great information and I really do not have much to add.

I know I chose the nexus for several reasons, first being I have been waiting to see a motorola nexus since I owned the moto Droid and then saw Google release the Nexus One. Motorola going blur and locked bootloader with the Droid X and Droid 2 made it hard for me to for see a motorola nexus, so to finally have one in my hands is awesome. I love the Motorola radios and feel that they are at the top of the industry, they should be being they been doing it for awhile.

The other reason is the adaptability, being one of the first Nexus and phone to work on all 4 LTE networks means no matter where I am or if I travel (or move) my phone will work even if my network doesn't (I'll just have to switch out sim cards).

With all that said I can not overlook several areas of concerns starting with the camera in low light situations. If you big on posting nightlife photos on social network then the LG may be the better device, as stated by several in this thread.

The other concern at times is the battery life. Though good in comparison, if you are coming from a note phone then it will feel like a slight drop off, but turbo charging does make up for it.

Also if you are patient you are about to have some nice options that will be either cheaper or at a similar price.

OP
SILVER COUPE

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
Depends on what part of Virginia. I did the switch about a year ago and found the reception in central, southern and northern Virginia to be better than Verizon but when traveling to western Virginia horrid or worse. I was pleasantly surprised areas such as Dinwiddie and southern Chesterfield , Goochland, Wakefield, Orange, Emporia,etc had excellent signal in spite of their rural locations. In areas such as Richmond, Petersburg, Charlottesville and Virginia Beach T-Mobile had little to no network congestion issues like Verizon gets. All around town of my home city Verizon is 2 bars max , with high congestion, and T-Mobile 4 bars least with no congestion.
I'd suggest talk to T-Mobile, see if your current phone is capable of using one of their SIM cards, like my Note2 is, and if so try it for a bit and if it meets your demand go for it. Your data speeds will be slower on a T-Mobile SIM card in a Verizon phone but it'll give you a good prognosis of whether you'll be satisfied with the reception quality.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
thanks everyone, a lot of good input here. i want to leave Verizon because my kids and i are going through a lot of data, i pay $240 for three lines with 10G of data for all to share. with T Mobile for about the same price i would get three new phones with 10G of data for each line, plus unlimited music streaming. i live in norfolk and work in VA Beach, i dont venture out of the hampton roads area much, i do have WIFI at home. everyone i spoke with are satisfied with T Mobile except one person who does not get reception in his home(portsmouth) but he also does not have WIFI at home either. if the service is good in norfolk, va beach then i am happy. i have an LG G2 and like it very much, i think the G4 would be a nice upgrade.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone, a lot of good input here. i want to leave Verizon because my kids and i are going through a lot of data, i pay $240 for three lines with 10G of data for all to share. with T Mobile for about the same price i would get three new phones with 10G of data for each line, plus unlimited music streaming. i live in norfolk and work in VA Beach, i dont venture out of the hampton roads area much, i do have WIFI at home. everyone i spoke with are satisfied with T Mobile except one person who does not get reception in his home(portsmouth) but he also does not have WIFI at home either. if the service is good in norfolk, va beach then i am happy. i have an LG G2 and like it very much, i think the G4 would be a nice upgrade.
My biggest concern wasn't that area but the area getting from Petersburg area to there via 460.
Granted I haven't been way off the main roads in Hampton Roads area but where I did travel it worked fine.
One area of concern, which might be what you mentioned by the 1 that didn't get good reception is building penetration. I areas with like signal, Verizon wins that one hands down BUT while T-Mobile isn't adding much more in cells, they are quickly switching their existing network to more building penetration friendly signal frequencies. They might be in an area that hasn't updated yet. Again a T-Mobile rep can show you where the signals in your area are the new frequencies vs the old.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4