looking for directions/answers on upgrading my droid

v188

Reaction score
I'm not a tech guy and I have a couple questions. I've read this board, spending hours, but still don't have a simple concise answer/understanding. I know that 2.2 (Froyo) is out and that come December 3.0 gingerbread is coming, but it appears to non-technical guy me, that things will get more locked down at the system matures. That said I have a couple questions:

1. I would like to have Froyo (2.2) on my basic Droid phone. However, what happens when Verizon pushed it our over the air, if you've already got it loaded. Will it crash my phone? Also I really want Froyo to get Flash so I can watch ESPN and football games this fall. If I get Froyo, Flash will simply download from the site?

2. I want to have my Droid act like a wifi hot spot and/or be able to provide internet access to a laptop. My foolks are in a rural area and have to use dial up. I get 3G with my phone, so I want to bring my laptop and use Droid to access the internet. What is the procedure? Will simply loading 2.2 do this for me. I don't care if it's wifi or bluetooth, etc.

I'd really appreaciate simple answers and maybe a point in a direction I could accomplish the above.

thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not a tech guy and I have a couple questions. I've read this board, spending hours, but still don't have a simple concise answer/understanding. I know that 2.2 (Froyo) is out and that come December 3.0 gingerbread is coming, but it appears to non-technical guy me, that things will get more locked down at the system matures. That said I have a couple questions:

1. I would like to have Froyo (2.2) on my basic Droid phone. However, what happens when Verizon pushed it our over the air, if you've already got it loaded. Will it crash my phone? Also I really want Froyo to get Flash so I can watch ESPN and football games this fall. If I get Froyo, Flash will simply download from the site?

to get froyo, you need to root (hack) the phone to gain administrative privileges. then you can install a custom ROM that has froyo
-OTA updates will be blocked with the rom. dont have to worry about it
-flash can be downloaded on this page along with the rom

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/jr...e-built-9-themes-bug-fixes-many-features.html

just what i recommend - there are many others out there

2. I want to have my Droid act like a wifi hot spot and/or be able to provide internet access to a laptop. My foolks are in a rural area and have to use dial up. I get 3G with my phone, so I want to bring my laptop and use Droid to access the internet. What is the procedure? Will simply loading 2.2 do this for me. I don't care if it's wifi or bluetooth, etc.

theres an app called Wifi Tether - need root access to use this

its simple to install and use - see link above

I'd really appreaciate simple answers and maybe a point in a direction I could accomplish the above.

thanks

to root, head over to the hacks section of the forum. other answers are in the quote

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i am not much of a techy, and am worried that i will be in over my head if i try to root. so, i'm waiting for Froyo OTA much like most D1 users. however, i have been tethering my phone to my laptop for months, using the Easy Tether app (PDA Net is also available). it's pretty simple, and works great!

word of caution, however: when i recently queried on a related topic, one of the Mods pointed out that, by tethering now, i may be violating the terms of my VZW agreement. if VZW finds out, they supposedly can charge you for your usage. in reading the comments in the app store, it appears that lots of people have been tethering and not getting caught, but just wanted to give the "heads up"...