wifi tether problem (cant find an answer anywhere)

volfan537240

Reaction score
ok guys im new to the site and forgive me if this has been covered but i did a search and didnt find an answer to my particular problem.

i have a rooted droid x and i downloaded the wifi tether app in hopes of getting the internet on my laptop through my phone.

i set it up with wifi encryption and made a password and all that and my laptop shows it as a wireless network and lets me connect with excellent signal strength and everything looks good.... until i click on internet explorer.

it gives me the cannot connect page like i have no connection. i think my problem is with my laptop, not the phone but can anybody help me please?!

oh yeah btw i have windows xp on the laptop.

jcolt

Reaction score
I have had some problems with Wifi Tether in the past and dont have a solution for you. However, since you are on the X and rooted you should download the Team Black Hat App and use the 3G Hotspot patch. That will achieve what you are looking to do and works flawlessly.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
There's one thread to discuss the hotspot hack. This is not it. Please link rather than discuss. It's discussed but it's still illegal.

You have to use WPA and not WEP encryption, IIRC, but I might be mistaken. You've tried the one, so try the other. If all else fails, try yanking encryption off it entirely and just enable access control and set it up to notify you when someone connects -- but you shouldn't be tethering long enough for it to become a problem anyway.

Stupid Windows 7's requirement to connect to an encrypted network is a stupid idea.

OP
V

volfan537240

Reaction score
im not sure if its the wifi tether program or my computer (im not computer illiterate, but not a computer wiz by any means). my pc shows the network and has excellent signal strength but will not connect to the internet.

i read somewhere that it creates a ad-hoc network that is different than a wifi signal at a hotel or coffee shop but i cant find a ad hoc setting on my pc anywhere. maybe i need a usb wifi antenna?... im using the internal one that came on my laptop.

OP
V

volfan537240

Reaction score
There's one thread to discuss the hotspot hack. This is not it. Please link rather than discuss. It's discussed but it's still illegal.

You have to use WPA and not WEP encryption, IIRC, but I might be mistaken. You've tried the one, so try the other. If all else fails, try yanking encryption off it entirely and just enable access control and set it up to notify you when someone connects -- but you shouldn't be tethering long enough for it to become a problem anyway.

Stupid Windows 7's requirement to connect to an encrypted network is a stupid idea.

apparently we were typing at the same time. i will try this when i get home.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ad-Hoc just means it's not a traditional hotspot. No "infrastructure" so it has more limitations, but it does work on 99% of the WiFi hardware out there. :) Most of the hardware it doesn't work on has it intentionally disabled for one reason or another.

OP
V

volfan537240

Reaction score
So there's no special configuration for a ad-hoc network on the pc side?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Not unless the hardware doesn't support it. Worst case scenario try USB tethering. It's more secure, just as fast, charges the battery, but you can't share it with other computers unless you have Windows 7 and a program called "connectify me" or something like that.

I spend most of my time tethering via USB for that reason. It's a pain if you're out and forget your USB cable, though. :)

OP
V

volfan537240

Reaction score
any links on how to do this? it doesnt really matter to me if its wireless or usb.