Locked Bootloader?

freeqaz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ran a quick googlefu and went through the forums here but I can't seem to figure out if the Bionic has a locked bootloader or not. All the google hits that I found are speculation prior to release.

I've got an HTC Thunderbolt and I'm feeling the CM7 love. I would love to update to a Bionic (my brother gets my TB) but I don't want want be stuck with a crummy locked phone. That's what kept me from the DX/D2 for so long.

Happy Hacking,
-Free

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Locked as in can be bricked.

Tether works independent of locked bootloader.

OC won't happen, as you need to have another kernel built. Locked bootloader doesn't allow that.

wseyller

Reaction score
Well root is needed for wireless tether in most cases. And the bionic does have root all ready. One way or another you should be able to tether. Even non rooted phones can use pdanet or easytether. No OC right now. I'm would suspect the kernel has the processor locked down to 1.0ghz.

tcayton49

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ran a quick googlefu and went through the forums here but I can't seem to figure out if the Bionic has a locked bootloader or not. All the google hits that I found are speculation prior to release.

I've got an HTC Thunderbolt and I'm feeling the CM7 love. I would love to update to a Bionic (my brother gets my TB) but I don't want want be stuck with a crummy locked phone. That's what kept me from the DX/D2 for so long.

Happy Hacking,
-Free

The reason all the hits are speculated prior to release is because the phone hasn't released yet

tcayton49

Reaction score
Locked as in can be bricked.

Tether works independent of locked bootloader.

OC won't happen, as you need to have another kernel built. Locked bootloader doesn't allow that.

Actually you only need root to overclock. Bionic has root but apparently Moto has figured out how to patch it so it may not matter

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually you only need root to overclock. Bionic has root but apparently Moto has figured out how to patch it so it may not matter

Yea...there has been some big strides since the Droid X1 came out. Probably was like that with the Milestone too, dont really know.

wseyller

Reaction score
the D3 has a leaked version of the new update and it didn't not break root. Seemed like they do care right now.

Edit: Seems like they do not care right now about patching it.

I need to proof read more often.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
the D3 has a leaked version of the new update and it didn't not break root. Seemed like they do care right now.

So any idea if the D3 users are flashing the leak with stock recovery or do they have a custom one yet?

Jonas

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Does anyone know if this phone has an unlocked bootloader? If not, I will probably get the Rezound. I am currently on a d2g, and love it, but the locked bootloader is a killer. And I know I'm not the only one concerned about this! Come on guys, step up and ask the questions that matter. Not to say that the selection of keys on the keyboard isn't a good topic, but you'll adapt to that in the end. A bootloader is NOT something you can change.

Also, if the keyboard is a bother to you, SWYPE that message out. You'll love it.

Sent from my Banana Phone

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Bootloader + motorola... Probably going to be locked

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Jonas

Reaction score
That's what I'm worried about. I send well over 13k+ texts a month. So that keyboard is valuable to me. Ill probably keep my d2g around and text people from text plus for the sheer fact it has a keyboard. But I won't support motorola if they continue to lock to bootloaders. Its stupid.

Sent from my Banana Phone