HTC Confirmed: No more locked bootloaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevins686

Reaction score
HTC
*"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

Forgive my ignorance here, but what exactly does this mean, and why is it good?

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
HTC
*"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

"There has been... | Facebook

Does this mean I can now get a thunderbolt from verizon without a locked bootloader?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
HTC

"There has been... | Facebook

Does this mean I can now get a thunderbolt from verizon without a locked bootloader?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

It means moving forward HTC will not lock its bootloaders. I doubt they will change what's already out.

sent from somewhere...

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hopefully Moto see the results from this and start unlocking their phones... and maybe release the key

But amazing news!! Just another step forward

FreeMyMoto!!!

OP
W

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
I bet this announcement has Moto shuffling some papers right now. I'm also wondering how this will affect the devices that already are already out. HTC just won me as a customer for a long time.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I bet this announcement has Moto shuffling some papers right now. I'm also wondering how this will affect the devices that already are already out. HTC just won me as a customer for a long time.

This is a good sign, but don't get your hopes up yet. We've gotta see some new devices coming out without bootloaders before we know for sure.

Reaction score
How hard is it to change the boot loader for an existing phone (Thunderbolt, Incredible 2, etc.)? Is this something HTC could do by releasing an updated ROM to flash on your phone? I know the TBolt has already been rooted, but it would be nice to make it an easier process.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe they could just push through a new one, because when they do updates they can change the kernal. In order to change the kernal you must have the keys which is all it takes to unlock it.

However it would be alot easier for them to just release the keys that way anyone who wants them can use them and they don't have to worry about pushing an update through

FreeMyMoto!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.