HTC Shakeup: Peter Chou Steps Down; Cher Wang Takes Over as CEO

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
peter-chou-cher-wang-htc-one-m9-event.jpg

What an interesting industry shakeup to find in my inbox this morning. Apparently, the very top of HTC has been rearranged. Peter Chou stepped down as CEO of HTC, and Cher Wang has taken over the position. If you remember the HTC One M9 event, Cher Wang shared some of the demo time with Peter Chou. Maybe this was meant as a "soft-intro."

Before today, Cher Wang was simply known as the Chairperson for HTC’s board of directors and the co-founder of the company. Reports from within the industry indicate this transition was actually about two years in the making. Apparently, Wang was already heavily involved in everyday management behind the scenes.

Ironically, HTC's stock didn't even register a blip (positive or negative) after the news. It seems that investors were neither unhappy, nor enthusiastic about the change. Either way, Chou isn't being fired. He instead will transition to a new product-oriented position as Head of HTC Future Development Lab.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they have been happy with Chou's design decisions for the HTC One line, but not too happy with his organizational and leadership skills. Here's a quote from the new CEO of HTC, Cher Wang,

“I know the company, I know the people, and I have the vision,” Wang, 56, told Bloomberg News in an interview. “I think I am the best candidate. I suggested it.”

What do you think of HTC's new leadership?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Companies this size rarely make spur of the moment changes, especially at the top. This was in the making for some time.
Hopefully, the new boss will get HTC the traction they need.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Companies this size rarely make spur of the moment changes, especially at the top. This was in the making for some time.
Hopefully, the new boss will get HTC the traction they need.
The article I read elsewhere this morning said that they had slowly and systematically been handing more responsibility off over time for a while now, so I agree completely, even if I didn't have any idea about how larger corporations operate.