HTC Working on Smartwatch; Claim They Will Solve Wearables' Biggest Issues

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
melt_htc.jpg

Concept image above from Norebbo.

Despite being in a profound slump, the plucky HTC is striving hard to scratch and fight their way back to prominence. In fact, HTC hopes the new wearable device they are working on will help them achieve that. In a recent interview, HTC's Chairman Cher Wang, expounded on HTC's new focus. Although the exec didn't specify what type of wearable they are working on, most industry insiders conclude it will be a smartwatch. (That's not much of a stretch.)

According to what the HTC exec had to say, the company has been working on its own wearable Android device for some time. HTC believes they will solve the primary issues facing smartwatches, namely battery problems and LCD light problems. Here's a quote with more of the details,

A wearable device will be available by this year’s Christmas shopping season after years of development and technical challenges, Chairman Cher Wang said.

“Many years ago we started looking at smartwatches and wearables, but we believe that we really have to solve the battery problems and the LCD light problems,” she said in the interview. “These are customer-centric problems.”

Wang also acknowledged another of HTC's problems, which has been poor marketing. She said, "To tell the truth, we never think marketing is that important -- this is really not very good. It’s really not only the budget increase, it’s the way how you spend the money. Is it smart? There’s a lot of ways to reach the audience right now”

Do you guys think a smartwatch will be the vehicle to save HTC?

Source: Bloomberg

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
They forgot to mention solving the thickness problem. I have an analog Skagen watch that is less than 10mm thick. While I know smartwatches won't get to that level for quite some time, for me it would be difficult to wear anything thicker since I've gotten so used to my Skagen.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
We "will" solve? Well obviously, every company who will ever keep making them will solve the same problems like anything in history...ever. Point is they haven't yet so they're right there with everyone else. Kinda like raising your hand in class to tell the teacher you're in school. Dearf.

meanwhile-in-africa-airlines.jpg