Motorola on Locked Bootloaders: “Buy Elsewhere,” Then Apologizes

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Motorola on Locked Bootloaders: “Buy Elsewhere,” Then Apologizes

motorola-logo-1-300x281.jpg
Motorola had a bit of a slip-up yesterday in PR department, but they were quick to try to make it better with their customers. On the [video=youtube;D4gpOQDcn7c]http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments=1&v=D4gpOQDcn7c"]comments to their YouTube channel[/video], the following comment and response pair appeared yesterday — and have since been removed:
Even though this phone seems to have the best hardware specs yet, no sale if the bootloader is locked like the Motorola Milestone I have. It’s really upsetting to not be able to put custom roms on MY device…
Please Moto, do the right thing. [For your customers, that is]

@tdcrooks if you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we’ll continue with our strategy that is working thanks.
There’s something to be said for shooting straight, but to me, this seems like a little bit over the line. Apparently, someone else at Motorola thought so, too, because last night on Facebook, and today in Youtube comments, was the following message:
We apologize for the feedback we provided regarding our bootloader policy. The response does not reflect the views of Motorola.
We are working closely with our partners to offer a bootloader solution that will enable developers to use our devices as a development platform while still protecting our users’ interests. More detailed information will follow as we get closer to availability.
So it’ll be good to see how things develop on this. Motorola seems to be looking for the happy medium between “protecting” customers, and locking them out of development completely. A worthwhile goal, and we wish them luck.
[via Facebook and [video=youtube;D4gpOQDcn7c]http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments=1&v=D4gpOQDcn7c"]YouTube[/URL], by way of Phandroid[/video]]

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Kind of a Steve Jobs reply huh? Haha!

DroidForums Junkie!!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think anything is going to change with Moto... just appears to be an attempt to save face and not look so harsh.

But who knows...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything is going to change with Moto... just appears to be an attempt to save face and not look so harsh.

But who knows...

This is my feeling too. It's just damage control. I doubt they're going to change their policies because some guy who's job it was to reply to youtube comments said something dumb

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk