HTC: Locked Bootloader Forever!!!

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
htcjail.jpg

The old HTC once loved their strong development community; the new one seems to care a lot less. The latest news coming from HTC regarding their bootloader policy is not too surprising. Like with any company that gets popular with the carriers, they are making decisions that will keep their new best friends happy.

HTC recently went back on their policy again about “unlocking all future phones’ bootloader.”They announced that their entire line of future phones WILL still be shipped with the locked bootloaders we have grown to hate. Unlike a few months back, they will have their new web-unlock tool available for those that still want to hack their phones. This new method will, of course, eliminate your warranty, and sadly, not all phones currently available will be able to use it.

What do you guys think?

Via: GSMArena

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal

riguy156

Reaction score
They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal

that some it up for me moto better follow the crowd

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
Just saying, not a good sign.

tcayton49

Reaction score
Isn't this the way it should be? People who really want to root their phone will be able to and they will know that it will void their warranty. People who could care less about rooting...well, they wont care.

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
first let me say i am all for this community. i will always root my phone and mod it...but i dont understand why people are crazy mad about this HTC situation...bottom line is that HTC is a company. A company who needs to generate profit. And if they are willing to have a web unlock tool that unlocks the bootloader...run with it. We can all understand why rooting voids your warranty right? HTC is giving us what we want while at the same time getting what they want. It's win-win.

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Isn't this the way it should be? People who really want to root their phone will be able to and they will know that it will void their warranty. People who could care less about rooting...well, they wont care.

exactly! Didnt see ur post prior to writing mine btw lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I knew people would not like this decision. But this is probably the best we going to get. This is probably the only thing they could get the carriers to buy into. It is just not about us. If they put out an unlocked phone that vzw did not approve then vzw will prevent it from working on their network. If you want a fully unlocked device out of the box then get a nexus. I applaud htc for doing something. And if moto unlocks their device expect them to do this as well.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
Just saying, not a good sign.

well we will have to cross that road when we come to it but i would rather have a company trying to let us have a unlocked bootloader instead of having a company like motto just locking down the bootloader so tight with out the option of it being opened

sb1831

Reaction score
I never thought they would ship phones with unlocked bootloaders to begin with. I was always under the assumption that the bootloaders would simply be UNLOCKABLE. Who honestly is delusional enough to think that insurance companies and carriers would have went for phones shipping with unlocked bootloaders?

Ambushbug

Reaction score

I agree. I mean they are giving us a method to do it with the web tools, but they have to put some kind of liability on the consumer/user. Yes a lot of people will root their phones successfully with no issues and will know what they are doing, but the plain truth is a lot of people are going to screw up their phones. Their has to be some sort of warranty voiding element to it for this reason.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think what everyone is forgetting is there is a huge difference between locked and encrypted. HTC locks and Motorola encrypts. Haven't most of HTC's phone been locked?

Reaction score
I think this is the only viable move by HTC. There is always a risk with an unlocked phone of screwing it up. By putting that decision on the shoulders of the phone owner, HTC is transferring that liability.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
only thing that would make sense, really...were people really thinking verizon would allow fully unlocked phones on their network with no way to track who's doing what to them?

Detonation

Reaction score
Umm, talk about an incorrect, misleading title. Having a tool that lets you unlock the device does not mean they are "locked forever".