Live wallpapers load on cpu?

Djnardu

Reaction score
So just got a Droid X and its my first android based phone. So far im loving it there is just one thing I notice. As much as I love Live wallpapers I can tell its slowing down the phone a bit even for how fast the X is. Now again ive never owned an android phone but one way I can tell is because when I bring up my apps it kinda stutters a bit when flicking through them.

Everything else seems super smooth but I could be wrong and should be seeing even smoother loading apps and just not accustomed to it because I havent owned a droid.

Well my question is. How task intensive is the Live wallpaper on the CPU? Should I be seeing any slowdown in any apps or is really scrolling through the apps the only thing I should expect.

I havent noticed any battery life loss or gain but just wondering your guys opinions on LW.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
well since a live app constantly runs, it takes up a bit. and yes you will notice the phone "hesitate" a little. As for battery life, it doesn't eat up too much, but of course if you want to save battery, go to a regular wallpaper and you will also notice your phone will be a little more snappy

erikfig

Reaction score
Live wallpapers looks great but really affect the phone performance.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Live wallpapers looks great but really affect the phone performance.

I've tried some informal tests comparing performance with and without live wallpapers. In my opinion, they don't REALLY affect the performance, they SLIGHTLY affect the performance. A couple of 1/4 second stutters aren't much of a performance hit to me.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Not all LWP are created equal. Some take up more CPU than others. I use Beautiful Widgets LWP and don't see a lag when using it. There are options on it to tell it to use less CPU.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Not all LWP are created equal. Some take up more CPU than others. I use Beautiful Widgets LWP and don't see a lag when using it. There are options on it to tell it to use less CPU.

I've noticed that too. Aquarium Live causes a very slight lag, while EarthRot causes a greater lag and also takes longer to load when changing to it. Neither are a problem in my mind, but EarthRot would probably drive a person who can only accept perfection nuts.