Lithium to Sapphire 1.0

schmaltzy

Reaction score
I have heard many good things about Sapphire so I've decided to give it a try. I am coming from a Lithium build so I have a couple questions about the switch.

1) I read that Sapphire is built differently than Cyanogen or Lithium....because of this, do I need to wipe data and cache?

2) Is CompCache automatically enabled or do I need to do something in order to enable it?

3) Very noob-like question, but I'm use to installing ROM's through the ROM manager. I'm going to give Incognito a try first, but I like the look of Elegant Steel so I may switch. Elegant Steel isn't offered through ROM manager so I downloaded it and placed it on my phone. Just to verify...if I come from Incognito, I can just install through ROM manager (from SD card) without wiping data and cache?

Thanks for any and all help!

mjones73

Reaction score
1) Yes
2) Turn it on under Menu, Settings, Gem Settings, Performance
3) If you want to switch themes, it's recommended you re-install the un-themed version of Sapphire 1.0 first, wipe cache only then apply the other theme. That all can be done through recovery.

There's more info at the wiki for 1.0 also - releases:sapphire-1.0.0 [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
And wait to install the theme till after booting the rom and gapps. Then after letting everything load should you boo into recovery and flash the theme.

Sent from my Droid

mjones73

Reaction score
And wait to install the theme till after booting the rom and gapps. Then after letting everything load should you boo into recovery and flash the theme.

Sent from my Droid

Rom Manager kind of does it all in one shot for the initial install. cvpcs has it set up to let you select the rom, gapps, kernel and theme.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Rom Manager kind of does it all in one shot for the initial install. cvpcs has it set up to let you select the rom, gapps, kernel and theme.

Some people have experienced problems doing it all at once, with certain themes.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Some people have experienced problems doing it all at once, with certain themes.

Yeah, just use rm to download it, then boot into recovery and apply the rom and gapps.

Sent from my Droid

OP
S

schmaltzy

Reaction score

Yeah, just use rm to download it, then boot into recovery and apply the rom and gapps.

Sent from my Droid

But some of the themes (ex. Elegant Steel) aren't available in RM.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP
S

schmaltzy

Reaction score

mjones73

Reaction score
Yes, all that does is run clockworkmod recovery for you, you can just boot into recovery via Rom Manager or Sapphire's reboot option and do the same thing directly. It's good to know how to work your way through recovery be it clockworkmod or SPRecovery.

Georgedaballa

Reaction score
I used to use Nextang theme then i wanted blackglass and i just installed it over nextag without wipeing anything and everything is good

bgill55

Silver Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I used to use Nextang theme then i wanted blackglass and i just installed it over nextag without wipeing anything and everything is good

sometimes it works but why its suggested is because if nextang themes something and and blackglass didnt you would have a mix up of themes. thats why I suggest flashing the stock theme in between theme switches! stock theme is available in Rom manager under my name! (bgill55)

OP
S

schmaltzy

Reaction score
I'm gonna hijack my own thread here and ask another question....

I know everyone has their favorite ROMs, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about Sapphire. What makes it better than say Lithium or Cyanogen?