Listen To Youtube Videos With Your Screen Off With Modified APP

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

CDs are pretty much a thing of the past. I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a hard copy of music of any kind. In fact mp3s have been the major way that most consumers purchase their music for a few years now it seems. With services like pandora and spotify there is even less of an incentive to purchase a copy of music which you own.

Youtube is the way that every young person I know accesses their music. I have been known to find all of my favorite songs and load them to a youtube playlist when preparing for a long drive. The only downside to this is that the youtube app requires you to keep your screen on while watching videos. As soon as you turn the screen off the video pauses. If you are listening to a playlist this can really kill your battery. If only there were a way to fix this problem.

Zedomax has posted a modified youtube app over at highonandroid.com. There is also a full tutorial posted showing how to get rid of your current youtube app replacing it with the new modified youtube app. Head to the link below for the link and insructions.

via HighOnAndroid.com

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still buy CDs for the cover and liner notes of the artists that I really like and admire. Yes I buy digital music for other artists, but I hope CDs never go away completely.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haven't purchased music since release of Napster, don't even remember when that was.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
This is great, something I've been wanting for years on Android. Thanks for the newspost, DF!

EDIT

Also, it says root isn't needed, but it totally is. You cannot uninstall the YouTube app without root; you can only uninstall updates. At least on my Verizon S4. May be a Verizon-only thing; not sure. No problems after uninstalling with Titanium :)

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is great, something I've been wanting for years on Android. Thanks for the newspost, DF!

EDIT

Also, it says root isn't needed, but it totally is. You cannot uninstall the YouTube app without root; you can only uninstall updates. At least on my Verizon S4. May be a Verizon-only thing; not sure. No problems after uninstalling with Titanium :)
You can uninstall the YouTube app without root in newer devices with KitKat.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

RyanPm40

Reaction score
You can uninstall the YouTube app without root in newer devices with KitKat.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

I have KitKat on my S4, stock 4.4.2 and you can only uninstall updates at least on the Verizon model haha

Last edited: