Youtube App Mod Brings HD 720p to your Android Mobile Device!

djspy

Reaction score
Call me crazy but can't they make this into a separate App so you don't have to remove the original YouTube apk?

hondaguy520

Reaction score
As stated above someone else just renamed the original to youtube.bak... so you can keep it and change to apk if needed

Sent from my Googlaxus using DroidForums

djspy

Reaction score
Ok, so I rename the old YouTube app and move the HD one to the same system folder right? I definitely have to move it there.?

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Ok, so I rename the old YouTube app and move the HD one to the same system folder right? I definitely have to move it there.?

Rename YouTube.apk to YouTube.bak then yes move new apk to that folder... I tried without doing that and doesn't work lol

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also may help if you uninstall any updated version prior to deleting.

Manage apps/ YouTube. See if there is uninstall update button, if so uninstall it then delete/rename the apk in systems

----posted maxx'ed out----

djspy

Reaction score
It doesn't want to install. I downloaded the Wi-Fi + 3G app from the XDA page. Do I have to rename the app to YouTube.apk? I noticed on the system > app folder where the YouTube app there is another app called blur_YouTube.apk I think it's the YouTube authenticator.

If I can't get this to work all I have to do is rename the original app to YouTube.apk right?

hondaguy520

Reaction score
It doesn't want to install. I downloaded the Wi-Fi + 3G app from the XDA page. Do I have to rename the app to YouTube.apk? I noticed on the system > app folder where the YouTube app there is another app called blur_YouTube.apk I think it's the YouTube authenticator.

If I can't get this to work all I have to do is rename the original app to YouTube.apk right?

You downloaded the first YouTube one right? The second is for ics I think. And yes you'll only have to rename back to apk

djspy

Reaction score
I don't know what happened but I have HD YouTube straight from the stock app now.

Apparently, even though the first time I tried it it said not installed it did install. I went into manage applications and looked for YouTube (not realizing I was looking in the downloaded section) and went ahead and unistalled the updates. It told me it was completely removed so j started panicking because I thought i had removed the original app. (It was the HD app that got removed) so I went into the system > all folder and there it was, YouTube.bak. I renamed it back to YouTube.apk and went back to the main screen and open YouTube and it opened. But, now instead of saying HQ it says HD.

I had done a comparison with the train video before trying this and there was a huge difference from playing it directly on the browser than with the YouTube app. Now it truly plays in HD in the app as well.

Everything works as it should. I went to the Market and it was listed in my apps section and I opened it from there as well. When I had it named. Bak I couldn't open it.

So I have no idea why it happened but I'm running HD from the native app. It's awesome! :D

hondaguy520

Reaction score
I hate the feeling when you think you just messed up your phone lol

Well congrats and enjoy HD and all its beauty:)

djspy

Reaction score
Haha yes I hate it too! But I love "Phew!" Feeling when you realize nothing bad happened lol

I am enjoying the HD glory!

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
stupid question, but do you have to be rooted and can i install this on my razr ? Also would the quality of the youtub hack be better than hitting the hq button on my razr?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
stupid question, but do you have to be rooted and can i install this on my razr ? Also would the quality of the youtub hack be better than hitting the hq button on my razr?

Yes root is needed..
And downloading now to find out...(it should)

Edit:
Works great...
I am using the wifi/3g version for froyo/gingerbread.
It sure does bog 3g down :):)

----posted maxx'ed out----

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
aren't you able to just freeze the stock youtube app in ICS and install the new one?