Youtube App Mod Brings HD 720p to your Android Mobile Device!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
youtubehd.jpg

I often watch videos on my mobile device when I'm in the kitchen, on the john, or just when others are watching things that I really don't have any interest in. I know sounds kind of pathetic right. Well it is becoming more and more common to watch video on the go especially with the high resolution screens and 4g speeds. It is really easy to whip out the phone when with friends and share a super funny youtube clip. Often I listen to music videos or different vlogs on youtube on my phone while driving. In those cases the image quality is not as important, but when I am home and I watch youtube videos on my kindle fire or Asus Transformer or on any number of Android phones I always tend to click on the HQ button. Although image quality is greatly improved it is still not full HD. Some of our devices like the HTC Rezound and the Galaxy Nexus have screens with 720p. It would be nice to get even more than the HQ. Now that is possible thanks to a modified app developed by TheosOo. The application supports any version of android and will work regardless of whether you are on Wifi or on 3G.

youtubehd-180x300.png

Vakharn

Reaction score
It really looks to me like the youtube app on my Nexus is already 720p, but only when I'm on wifi or 4g. It bumps the quality down on 3g.

Edit: And just fyi, this isn't an entirely uninformed opinion. I didn't try to count pixels with a magnifying glass or anything but I have uploaded about 90 HD videos to youtube and spent many many hours tweaking various video codecs to optimize the quality I get. I know when a youtube video looks good or not. Here's the video I usually use to test devices and applications as it's one of my best from an image quality standpoint:

[video=youtube;ORrDQVG5r2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrDQVG5r2k[/video]

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Says to remove YouTube.apk but astro and esfile manager say error when I try to delete or move it.... I'm rooted.....so idk??!!??!!

Sent from my Googlaxus using DroidForums

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Got the old one deleted but when I dl the link its a zip folder and I don't see the apk

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got the old one deleted but when I dl the link its a zip folder and I don't see the apk

Strange...download again. Mine was only an apk

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Better make sure you have unlimited data on your device or this will cause you to reach your limit real fast :shocked-b:

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Could you send the apk to my email?? I'll pm my Gmail to you xda is down for maintenance

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Still won't install... did you erase just the YouTube.apk or the other YouTube file under system apps?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Still won't install... did you erase just the YouTube.apk or the other YouTube file under system apps?

Haha. You're lucky I'm still up trying to dual boot Windows 8 :p

I renamed my original YouTube in /system to YouTube.bak. Dropped the new apk into system and I was good to go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Haha yea I work a night job so just got home.... man I'm dumb I thought you could just install, I put it in system apps and bam done... thank you yet again :)