Library of Congress updates DCMA, jailbreaking/rooting is officially 'legal'

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Library of Congress updates DMCA, jailbreaking/rooting is officially 'legal'

35ix9hd.jpg

Rooting and Jailbreaking have, for the longest time, found itself in a legal grey area. Proponents maintain the position that since they own their devices, they can alter them as they please. And opponents (usually large corporations) believe their technology would be at risk if users could alter their phones at a "superuser" level. The Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), the legislation specifically designed to deal with issues such as this, had never addressed the phone "hacking", until now. Today, a slew of DMCA exemptions were added, one of which exempted rooting/jailbreaking from being considered "copyright infringement."

Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

This DMCA exemption for rooting in no way legally obligates smartphone manufacturers to provide their phones unlocked and rooted. This merely provides an exemption in the DMCA for users to legally root. So, I guess we hammered home the point, that rooting your phone is officially not illegal. I wonder if this in any way will change the policies of the four big US wireless providers, who have always opted for "locked-down" phones and considered rooting against contract terms. Furthermore, it'll be interesting to see how the major smartphone manufacturers respond to the news. Check out the official Press Release here.

via Engadget
source Library of Congress DMCA

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting, though I never expected VZW or Motorola to go after rooters in the courts.

But I wonder what the implications are for locked bootloaders now, in particular "bricking" your phone if you attempt to root it.

Also, wonder if this will change anything as far as the warranty with a rooted phone? I would guess it's still within VZW's right to include it as a violation of the warranty, even if the act itself is not illegal

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, though I never expected VZW or Motorola to go after rooters in the courts.

But I wonder what the implications are for locked bootloaders now, in particular "bricking" your phone if you attempt to root it.

Also, wonder if this will change anything as far as the warranty with a rooted phone? I would guess it's still within VZW's right to include it as a violation of the warranty, even if the act itself is not illegal

good points. i do believe VZ can still claim rooting as a warranty violation. i guess we'll have to wait and see.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man so there goes the stigma, people who jailbroke/root can no longer feel like a rebel.
Oh well does that mean we can bang on motorola for the encrypted bootloop.

:pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::pint::beer2:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
so the encrypted bootloader is hindering our legal right? lol

a guy can dream can't he?

Reaction score
So will cell phone makers with locked bootloaders give out how to unlock it due to this?

Will cell phone makers be considered breaking the law by locking bootloaders?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So will cell phone makers with locked bootloaders give out how to unlock it due to this?

my interpretation: these changes give the consumer the right to root/jailbreak, nothing more. i.e. Motorola can't take you to court for rooting.

Reaction score

my interpretation: these changes give the consumer the right to root/jailbreak, nothing more. i.e. Motorola can't take you to court for rooting.

I understand that but is the act of hindering someone from being able to root/jailbreak now illegal because they are stoping us from what the DCMA now says is legal.
On the same note is this retro-active (i.e. Droid X's), or does this mean from today on?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I understand that but is the act of hindering someone from being able to root/jailbreak now illegal because they are stoping us from what the DCMA now says is legal.
On the same note is this retro-active (i.e. Droid X's), or does this mean from today on?

nope. the DMCA change gives users "copyright infringement" exemption if they root. nothing more.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

But can I take motorola to court for hindering my right to root my phone since they have locked the bootloader. I feel my right to root is being violated.........well....droid x users rights are being violated (i dnt have a droid x lol).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But can I take motorola to court for hindering my right to root my phone since they have locked the bootloader. I feel my right to root is being violated.........well....droid x users rights are being violated (i dnt have a droid x lol).

I seriously doubt it. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you have a RIGHT to do it. More directly, it's unlikely to be illegal to prevent you from doing something you have the legal right to do (i.e. dress code in a restaurant).

Now, if they did a software update that did something screwy to rooters, there might be an issue. But otherwise you buy the product as is so you have no right/claim to capability not represented.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

that would likely take a Supreme Court interpretation, because the way the DMCA is written now, there is no legal obligation for a smartphone company to provide their phones "unlocked". understand that an exemption is merely giving the public the legal right to root. if you want to take this to the Supreme Court by alll means! i'd love to see their interpretation. until then, IMO Motorola has the legal right to continue selling those locked-down Droids...

Reaction score
Oh well for all this legal talk, I'm sure we could talk circles around this but until legal action is taken by anyone it is what it is.... ROOTING IS LEGAL!!!dancedroid