Jailbreaking/Rooting Exemption to DMCA Soon to Expire; EFF Doesn't Want That

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
eff-logo.png

Here is an issue that is near and dear to many hearts in the Android community. Rooting could soon become illegal to do on your smartphone, unless the Electronic Frontier Foundation can help get the word out to stop it. You see, a set of anti-circumvention exemptions was added to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) by the US Copyright Office in 2010, that effectively made it legal to jailbreak/root smartphones. But those exemptions were only a temporary measure, and were never made permanent, and now they are soon going to expire.

The EFF is trying to get the word out so the community can "convince the Copyright Office to renew its exemptions and expand them to a wider range of devices, including tablets and video game consoles." They are calling on devs, programmers and anyone that wants to get involved to contact the Copyright Office directly and voice your opinion on this important issue. The EFF added,

"Concrete examples will help show the Copyright Office why they should renew and expand the exemptions for jailbreaking."

EFF also works to stop poor legislation like SOPA and PIPA as well. If you would like to get involved, check out the EFF source link below for more info.

Source: EFF.org

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Electronic Frontier is an ironic name for an organization that is trying to reduce the freedom of choice for devices we buy with our hard earned money not theirs

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Electronic Frontier is an ironic name for an organization that is trying to reduce the freedom of choice for devices we buy with our hard earned money not theirs

What?...they're trying to KEEP our rights. They're defending rooting/jail breaking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jerkwad

Reaction score

I think you got that backwards ... they are the ones petitioning FOR greater freedom on our devices that we OWN (outright).

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
As long as people take responsibility when they root or jailbreak. I don't see what the big deal is.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
That's what I get for a quick read while leaving work lol. I digress and stand behind the EFF;)

RobKort

Atrix Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We should really keep an eye on this...

Sent From Rob's RP-Hybrid Atrix.