LG Watch Urbane LTE Version Announced; Uses WebOS Instead of Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-watch-urbane-lte.jpg

Here is some shocking news this morning. It turns out the rumors about the LG Watch Urbane LTE version were true. The device will not be using Android Wear, but will instead be using a variant of WebOS. To be clear, the non-LTE version of the LG Watch Urbane still uses Android Wear. The WebOS will only be used on the LTE version for now. Also, LG is calling it their "LG Wearable Platform," even though it is basically built from WebOS.

Of course, the handy thing about WebOS on an LTE watch is that it shouldn't even need to be paired with an Android phone. It will even be able to make and receive calls and texts on its own, and includes push-to-talk support.

This LG phone/watch will also have beefy specs compared to its competition. Here's a breakdown:
  • 1.3 plastic-organic-light-emitting diode circular display, which has an always-on "ambient mode."
  • 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor
  • 4 GB of Storage
  • 700 mAh battery (very nice for a smartwatch)
  • LTE Radio
  • NFC-enabled for mobile wallet use
On top of these internal specs, the LG Watch Urbane LTE will have three physical buttons on the right side of the smartphone. The top most button will access your settings. The center button is designed to switch between the watch and mobile apps. The lower button is basically a back function, and you can hold the back button down "to send out a safety beacon to a preset emergency contact."

There is one caveat to this awesome "James Bond" style superwatch... it only comes in the silver color for now, whereas the non-LTE version comes in bronze/gold or silver.

It's interesting to see what LG is doing with their acquisition of the Palm WebOS from HP back in 2013. It looks like they are following Samsung's lead with Tizen. I suspect that WebOS will get a bit more traction than Tizen (at least with the tech-head/nerd crowd). We will get to see both versions of the Urbane at Mobile World Congress next week.

Are you drooling yet @UltraDroid? ...me too! ;)

Source: CNET

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's some big battery. If memory serves my buddies old Palm phones used to clobber his Android phones for battery life so I'll be interested in seeing that aspect with that monster battery.
A standalone capability is very cool to have as well.
I can also see PTT catching on more than a speakerphone making full fledged calls.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Valvoline

Reaction score
Why are companies continuing to divert away from google wear? Is there a benefit? seems like it just creates more and more fragmentation. i guess im just a fan of 'big brother' when it comes to google. i like cross platform compatibility.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Engadget has confirmed that the Watch Urbane LTE will run LG's proprietary software. However, the regular Watch Urbane will be running Android Wear.

Killing time with LG's Watch Urbane and Watch Urbane LTE

Why are companies continuing to divert away from google wear? Is there a benefit? seems like it just creates more and more fragmentation. i guess im just a fan of 'big brother' when it comes to google. i like cross platform compatibility.

If a manufacturer wants to release a watch with standalone cellular capabilities, at this point they have to use something other than Android Wear. Android Wear doesn't support WiFi let alone cellular connectivity.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watches in other countries have been standalone for over a decade , most with no need for a host device to get full functionality. Perhaps that's where HTC is planning to push sales with the lte instead of in the U.S.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Watches in other countries have been standalone for over a decade , most with no need for a host device to get full functionality. Perhaps that's where HTC is planning to push sales with the lte instead of in the U.S.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Are you saying that smart watches have be available overseas for ten years? I'm confused.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Are you saying that smart watched have be available overseas for ten years? I'm confused.
I wouldn't call them smart watches in terms of current smartwatches, but there have been watches overseas with standalone cellular connectivity for calls/texts for several years.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that smart watches have be available overseas for ten years? I'm confused.
Here's one I pulled up the other day from back in 08 but I remember a review of one that was basically a Star Tac attached to the wrist that was selling in Japan back in 03 or 04
Nova N800 Wrist Cell Phone Review
With data plan requirements and the inability to use much data I see a new cash cow on the horizon. I've used Opera Mini on my S to my hearts content for a few weeks and have yet to break the 100mb threshold yet. Streaming music doesn't use much either.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
All I can say is wow. Totally missed that genre. Guess I just wasn't as much into phones at that time as I am now. It may have also had something to do with the fact they're GSM and I'm CDMA.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
All I can say is wow. Totally missed that genre. Guess I just wasn't as much into phones at that time as I am now. It may have also had something to do with the fact they're GSM and I'm CDMA.
We're still about a decade behind on gadgets here.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4