LG Watch Urbane LTE Gets Previewed by BGR; Called "Gorgeous but bulky"

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-watch-urbane-mwc-2015-4.jpg

The folks at BGR were able to get a hands-on preview of the LG Watch Urbane LTE version at Mobile World Congress 2015. They shared their thoughts and some detailed images of the device. They called it "gorgeous but bulky." They elaborated that it looks good and feels good on the wrist, despite its bulkiness.

They confirmed that the device is able to make phone calls send/receive text messages without a smartphone attached to it, but you will need to invest in a second SIM card and wireless account. It also has push-to-talk walkie-talkie features, which is pretty cool if you have a friend who has one. Here's a quote with a few more details,

LG is trying to make the most of the round screen, while doing its own thing with the operating system, rather than using Google’s Android Wear. The device proposes an app interface that offers access to a circular carousel that includes installed apps, which in turn have their own circular icons.

As for actual hardware, the watch packs a 1.3-inch round P-OLED display with 320 x 320 resolution, 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor (the kind that you’d have found in phones not too long ago), 1GB of RAM, 4GB of storage, LTE support and a 700 mAh battery.

Other noteworthy features include NFC support that can work with wireless payments, a heart rate sensor on the back and an IP67 dust and waterproof rating.

Of note, the device is definitely less sexy than the Android Wear-based Watch Urbane model, which doesn’t support its own SIM card.

We have shared some of their images of the device above and in the thread below. As much as the idea of the device sounds cool, and its capabilities could be very useful, the watch looks enormous on the wrist of the person in the shot. Perhaps in a generation or two when the technology has shrunk, it will be less obtrusive.

Check out the pics in the thread below and let us know what do you guys think?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are those shots that show off how huge and bulky the LG Watch Urbane LTE really is.

(In all fairness... BGR explains that the regular (non-LTE) version is not nearly as monstrous, but the idea of a smartphone-watch is what is most appealing about this. What do you guys think?)

lg-watch-urbane-mwc-2015-31.jpg

lg-watch-urbane-mwc-2015-34.jpg

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I find nothing appealing about a LTE Watch. Another charge on my VZW bill? No. Talking into it for a phone call? No.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find nothing appealing about a LTE Watch. Another charge on my VZW bill? No. Talking into it for a phone call? No.
I use Bluetooth on mine (Gear S). I just can't see myself talking to my arm.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... if that thing had legs it would look like a giant metal tarantula eating his arm! lol!