LG Revolution Software Update Coming Soon

ultra63

Reaction score
I was hoping for 2.3 and less Bing!

Verizon Almost Ready To Begin Rolling Out LG Revolution Software Update [LG Revolution Software Update Coming Soon; It Fixes Bugs, Updates Apps & Does Not Bring Gingerbread] | TFTS

"It looks like the LG Revolution is about due for a software update. And while we have yet to see any reports that it has been received, Verizon has posted the Software Update PDF on their website. In other words, it looks like Verizon will be rolling out the first major update for the Revolution sooner rather than later."

"
First things first though, if you are reading this post and hoping to see something about Gingerbread — sorry to disappoint, but this update is not going to bump your phone up to Android 2.3. That being said, the update does have a decent sized list of updates, improvements and changes.
The update is VS910ZV6, measures in at 69.5MB in size and according to Verizon, should take about 5 to 10 minutes to download and another 7 to 10 minutes to install. Otherwise, the update looks like it will correct more than a few annoyances such as how the keyboard should no longer automatically open when simply viewing a text message. Anyway, the full change log reads as follows;
Email and Messaging
  • “Out of Office” feature now available for Exchange email.
  • Auto-correct no longer incorrectly activates in email, ID and search message fields.
  • Setting up email with multiple servers (i.e. cox.net) has been fixed.
  • No longer receive duplicate emails on Yahoo Mail.
Call Features
  • When on a call while in Vibrate mode and an incoming call is received, a short beep notification will sound instead of a vibration.
Device Features
  • Keyboard no longer automatically opens when viewing a text message. Tap in text entry field to activate it.
  • View album art for MPEG4 files on Music Player.
Applications and Widgets
Voice data app now preloaded to enable text to speech.
V CAST Music, V CAST Video and V CAST Tones come preloaded.
Updated Apps:
  • Amazon Kindle
  • Bing Search and Voice
  • Netflix
  • Tunewiki
  • Rock Band
  • Slacker Radio
  • Bitbop
  • VZ Navigator
  • V CAST Apps"

countryboy498

Reaction score
Is there any word if droid forums is going to add the LG Revolution to their list of phones? I just bought my wife one, she upgraded from the original Moto Droid.

OP
U

ultra63

Reaction score
Updated this AM. Download took about 5 minutes and another 4 to install. No changes in Android or kernel versions. At least it did not brick the phone.

EvilJ

Reaction score
I just did the update. What did it do? I can't tell the difference.

Sent from my VS910 4G using DroidForums

Big Cam

Reaction score
I'm downloading it now, I hope it solves the issue of the phone not turning back on past a black screen when you turn it off.

OP
U

ultra63

Reaction score
The main purpose seems to be an update to the Verizon bloatware.

Big Cam

Reaction score
The main purpose seems to be an update to the Verizon bloatware.

At least they threw in some useful stuff, like the keyboard not opening immediately when you go to a text.

Plus my phone restarted after the update, and actually restarted, which was a plus.

OP
U

ultra63

Reaction score
It is a game of Russian roulette to shut down and restart this phone!

ARorlando

Reaction score
I just woke up to a brand new phone! Everything runs faster; even my downloads, which I'm not sure how they did that. It's like a processor upgrade.

Menus, switching apps, email, testing network strength doesn't take a minute. I'm still getting 3-4 bars for signal.

I'm surprised by all the negative comments. I must be lucky.

I'm not sure if I believe the download speed though. I went from 7 Mbps down to 36 Mbps. Can that be real?

=========================
Update: 08/11/2011

A few days ago, my download speed went back to 7 Mbps. Not sure what happened.

ARorlando

Reaction score
The best fix for me, is when the HotSpot is enabled, the Bluetooth headset does not seem to crackle like it did before.

Overall, I'm very happy with this.

=====================================
Update: 08/11/2011

A few days ago, this issue came back. I can't figure this out. It's a little disappointing.

biggeek

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'm surprised the phone didn't automatically inform me of the upgrade.

ARorlando

Reaction score
I wonder if they're rolling it out in stages. My phone had a big notification on it as soon as I picked it up.

OP
U

ultra63

Reaction score
Phone spontaneously reboots more since update but has not entered death cycle yet.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Phone spontaneously reboots more since update but has not entered death cycle yet.

That's strange, mine has rebooted only once since the update, and I was just pleased thaty it cycled back to a workign phone, instead of the screen O death.