LG Optimus

luv2golf

Reaction score
Credit Wired

Hands-On With LG’s Optimus 2X Superphone

View as gallery
_MG_2245.jpg

Korean company LG was the first manufacturer in the world to announce a smartphone equipped with a dual-core Tegra 2 processor (aka a "superphone"). However, LG has yet to find a carrier in the United States to sell the beefy handset; so far it's only officially available in Korea and a few European countries.
Hopefully LG finds a carrier in the states soon, because from my hands-on testing of the Optimus 2X, it's a fast, solid Android phone. Plus, it has a cool feature to hook it up to an external display.
Photos by Jon Snyder/Wired.com

_MG_2250.jpg

The Optimus 2X feels like a high-quality device when you hold it; the glass seems sturdy.

_MG_2272.jpg

The Optimus 2X seemed very fast. The stuttery scrolling behavior that's so common on Android phones was nonexistent on the Optimus 2X, similar to my experience with the Tegra 2-powered Motorola Atrix.

mg_2261.jpg

LG ran a benchmark test to demonstrate the speeds (since they created the benchmark, we take the results with a big grain of salt), and rich 3-D animations played very smoothly.

_MG_2249.jpg

The Optimus 2X's resolution is a crisp 800-by-480 pixels (not quite as good as the iPhone 4's, which is 960-by-640).

_MG_2253.jpg

The Optimus 2X has an 8-megapixel rear camera. On the front, a 1.3-megapixel camera allows videoconferencing.

_MG_2246.jpg

The Optimus 2X's camera app was quick and responsive snapping a photo.

_MG_2252.jpg

The highlight feature of the Optimus 2X is "HDMI mirroring" — an HDMI port for you to hook up the phone to any display with HDMI.

_MG_2279.jpg

I connected the Optimus 2X to a large display, and it showed the Android's home screen. I see this as potentially useful for doing presentations in business meetings or classrooms. And of course, it will be nice for outputting movies or web videos from your phone. The mirroring effect was very snappy; I didn't see a delay between the phone and the external display.

_MG_2285.jpg

Another use case for HDMI mirroring is gaming. I tried playing a Shrek 2 racing game, which used the Optimus 2X's accelerometer to simulate a steering wheel. It was fun, but the game looked pixelated and frankly kind of crappy because it wasn't designed for a large display.