LG charger on a razr

motaumar

Reaction score
So I forgot my charger at home and I'm at a friends house and I'm using an LG charger that fits the razr.
Is that okay?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

mcsoul

Reaction score
I use my old LG chargers for my Droid RAZR with no ill-effects. It's just a usb standard charge voltage, if it puts out less or more milli-amps, it will just vary the charge time.

techgov8

Reaction score
I've used an LG charger since I got the phone and its been fine. The usb cords that come with the phone are way too short

Zandar

Reaction score
Any micro-USB charging cable is fine.

Sliced from my RAZR

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
All above responses are for the most part correct, however there can be undesirable effects due to using non-approved third party chargers;

1. As mentioned, the charge rate may be either less or more
    • If the charge rate is less
      • It will take longer to reach a full charge
      • It may actually never reach a full charge
        1. If the charging circuitry isn't able to convert the output voltage and current from the sub-par charger into the necessary voltage and current that the charging circuitry needs
        2. If the charging circuitry is fooled by the lower voltage or amperage and interprets the lower values as an indication the battery is fully charged before it has actually reached full capacity
    • If the charge rate is higher, it could result in any number of possibilities including;
      • Charging faster (taking less time)
      • Battery heating up (which shortens the life of the battery)
      • Damage to the battery or the charging circuitry
  2. The phone may exhibit strange symptoms while using it, such as
    • Scrolling erratically
    • Selecting areas on the screen which are not where it is being pressed
    • Activating other apps or functions when trying to scroll or select something else
      • These symptoms are often called "Ghost Typing".
  3. Permanent damage to either the battery and/or the phone's charging circuitry and/or the actual phone

It should also be noted that it is a violation of your warranty terms to use a non-approved charger. Approved chargers will either have the Motorola Logo and be specifically designed to work with the Motorola Droid Razr/Maxx, have the Verizon logo and be marketed by Verizon specifically for the Razr/Maxx. Also, using the supplied USB cable in combination with a computer or an approved battery-powered "booster" are generally within the description of an approved charge method, since both will supply highly filtered and stable charging voltage and amperage.

If the battery or phone should fail and it can be determined that the failure was as a result of using a non-approved charger, Motorola and Verizon reserve the right to refuse coverage under the warranty and only offer the option to pay for repair or replacement. In other words, if you choose to use a third party charger, even if one from a competitor's cell phone, you take on full responsibility for any ill effects it may result in.

R

RETG

It's not a Razr, but for my X I have used almost every night, a generic wall chargers I used to charge my BB. In the Hummer, I use a Verizon charger that was sold by Verizon for my BB. On occasion, when traveling and nothing else available, I have used my Nook plug in wall charger. For charging via a computer I use an older BB cord, Moto cord and/or generic cord. Not even sure where my Moto wall charger is that came with the X.
I have had the X replace a few times for warranty and not once has Verizon ever asked what charger or cord I have been using. And two replacements were for screen problems. (No use to mention the Asurion replacement.)

ultra09hd

Reaction score
All above responses are for the most part correct, however there can be undesirable effects due to using non-approved third party chargers;

1. If the charging circuitry isn't able to convert the output voltage and current from the sub-par charger into the necessary voltage and current that the charging circuitry needs
        2. If the charging circuitry is fooled by the lower voltage or amperage and interprets the lower values as an indication the battery is fully charged before it has actually reached full capacity
    • If the charge rate is higher, it could result in any number of possibilities including;
    • Scrolling erratically
    • Activating other apps or functions when trying to scroll or select something else
  3. Permanent damage to either the battery and/or the phone's charging circuitry and/or the actual phone

It should also be noted that it is a violation of your warranty terms to use a non-approved charger. Approved chargers will either have the Motorola Logo and be specifically designed to work with the Motorola Droid Razr/Maxx, have the Verizon logo and be marketed by Verizon specifically for the Razr/Maxx. Also, using the supplied USB cable in combination with a computer or an approved battery-powered "booster" are generally within the description of an approved charge method, since both will supply highly filtered and stable charging voltage and amperage.

If the battery or phone should fail and it can be determined that the failure was as a result of using a non-approved charger, Motorola and Verizon reserve the right to refuse coverage under the warranty and only offer the option to pay for repair or replacement. In other words, if you choose to use a third party charger, even if one from a competitor's cell phone, you take on full responsibility for any ill effects it may result in.

Bull ****

That vz logo...thats just verizon way of saying' i cost more cuz i hav vz logo'

Micro usb is micro usb.
There is no way to tell if a failure was due to a non vz charger cable being used.
Refusal of warranty claim due to third party chargers is against law.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Bull ****

That vz logo...thats just verizon way of saying' i cost more cuz i hav vz logo'

Micro usb is micro usb.
There is no way to tell if a failure was due to a non vz charger cable being used.

Believe what you wish, you're going to anyway.

But for the rest of you who understand that a warranty is a bilateral contract, here's a direct copy from the RAZR users manual, page 57 (and yes, I've read the entire thing).

Third Party Accessories;

Use of third party accessories, including but not limited to batteries, chargers, headsets, covers, cases, screen protectors and memory cards, may impact your mobile device’s performance. In some circumstances, third party accessories can be dangerous and may void your mobile device’s warranty. For a list of Motorola accessories, visit www.motorola.com/products

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Trash Can

Reaction score

Do you have a source to backup this statement? If so, I'd be interested in reading it because I don't believe it. If a manufacturer is going to provide a warranty for their product, they have the right to make the terms.

Aside from the OP's original question, why not just use the charger that came with the phone and avoid any (potential) headaches? It's not like you're paying extra for one when you buy the phone.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Its law. That stament from vz is the same thing any co prints up on their products ...

lpulle

Reaction score
I used a LG cord that plugs into the wall not computer on a BB Storm 2 then on a Droid 2 now on my Droid Razr with no ill effects even when they run all the way down. Like the charging cord???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForumsth

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

• Scrolling erratically

My maxx does a lot of these things when I use the provided charge cable lol... go figure

sent from my RAZR MAXX

ultra09hd

Reaction score
When speaking of 3rd party chargers and warranty ...this only applies if the charger is non cell phone type charger. Otherwise warranty. Has to cover it. They as a company can not force you to buy their name brand products.