LG Bringing Something Great To CES In Tablet Form

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
lg.jpg

The tablet scene at CES just became a little more interesting. LG has been over-shadowed for quite some time by Motorola’s XOOM tablet; however, in a recent Korean Times article, LG says they will have their own 8.9" tablet for the show. LG also plans to show off “auto-stereoscopic 3D mobile displays” at the event. Quite interesting!

What might you want to see in this new tablet?

Source (LG Wants In On CES+Tablet Game | Android Phone Fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
auto-stereoscopic 3D mobile display is sheer awesomeness...

"...display for use in next-generation 3D monitors (or in this case, mobile displays) that enables the user to enjoy three-dimensional images without the need for special glasses."

DaWolf85

Reaction score
auto-stereoscopic 3D mobile display is sheer awesomeness...

"...display for use in next-generation 3D monitors (or in this case, mobile displays) that enables the user to enjoy three-dimensional images without the need for special glasses."

Nintendo's new 3DS, the successor to the DS, uses the technology, and is shipping to Japan in February.
Although I'm not quite clear who, exactly, that product is aimed at, because they say it can be dangerous to young kids' eyes. Um, hello, Nintendo, that is basically your entire market for this device, so it had better work for them if you want it to sell...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting, so that helps clarify the 3DS feature. (I never tried to find out what was so special about the 3DS)

Flexible screens, 3D displays without the need for glasses. This might the beginning of the future ppl in the 50's n 60's envisioned.

jbg25

Reaction score
When I read the article the other day about the LGE 3D mobile displays...they discussed them being viewable by people moving at high speeds. This leads me to believe they are not talking about displays for mobile devices...but instead for billboards on highways. Although...there is no reason they could not have both...the technology is scalable....so if you can make a 30 foot screen you could make a 3-11 inch screen. The program for the calculation of the focal point would need to be altered...but that is easy.

I am involved with auto-stereoscopic 3D displays (we build them for commercial use not retail), and I have to say as a whole the format is not ready for the home. There are a couple exceptions out there...but they are not manufactured by the big boys (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc). The biggest problem is they have not figured out how to have both high quality 3D and 2D on the same set. And considering of the next 3 to 5 years...most of what we watch will not be readily available in 3D (Cable, Video Games, catalog movies not worth paying for conversion) this is extremely important.

IMO...This will not change soon...consider this "NEW" technology was invented by Philips something like 27 years ago and is only now making its way home.

The Big guys have too much vested in those stupid glasses and will wait to move to the right format as long as possible to make up as much of their R&D as possible (They would prefer to wait 5 to 6 years but competition from smaller tech companies will probably push that down to 2-3 years). The industry is know for being colossally stubborn and selfish. With no industry set standards...everyone makes their own version of a tech...and then back that until it fails (and usually Sony wins that battle...see VHS vs Beta, DVD vs DVIX, BluRay vs HD DVD).

Once again they all made their own version of 3D and they all chose the quickest, cheapest, easiest and most ridiculous version of the tech (w/glasses) and even then...you cannot guarantee that if you piece together a 3D system with parts from different manufacturers that it will work.

Now, add in auto-stereoscopic 3D which is mastered differently...and every piece of hardware out there now will need to be replaced...then all the programming will likely need to be remastered and re-rendered in 3d then repurchased again.

So get used to having better 3D on your phone and or tablet, than in your home for at least some time. :icon_eek: