LG Decides Not to Compete in The Tablet Wars

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-logo-black-lifes-good.jpg

LG recently announced that they will not be building any Android based tablets to compete in the tablet arena. Here's a quick quote from them,

“We’ve decided to put all new tablet development on the back burner for the time being in order to focus on smartphones,” Ken Hong, a spokesman for Seoul-based LG, said in an e-mailed response to queries.

You know this had to be a tough decision for executives to make at LG, but it was probably the right decision. On the one hand, you have the potential to eke out some profit on the fastest emerging new technology market on the planet. On the other hand, the field is so ridiculously crowded with nearly hundreds of Android manufacturers, plus the new Surface tablet from Microsoft was just announced, and of course, you still have the juggernaut that is the iPad to contend with. LG is currently the number four smartphone manufacturer for Android. It makes sense to consolidate your resources and not waste them chasing a miniscule margin of profit, when instead you can focus those resources on improving your smartphones and competing there.

As an interesting sidenote, Ken Hong of LG also had a final comment to make about the new tablet from Microsoft,

“LG doesn’t see Surface competing with anything we’re focusing on at the moment."

Comment in the thread.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Bloomberg

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, let 'em build a DECENT smartphone, first. LG isn't the first name that pops in my head when I think "Quality Smartphone".

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
As an interesting sidenote, Ken Hong of LG also had a final comment to make about the new tablet from Microsoft,

Well, duhhhhh..... If you're not going to build tablets, then a tablet isn't going to compete with your product lineup *LOL* Talk about stating the obvious. That's like Keebler saying that Ford doesn't compete with their cookie business.

georgeo18yal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Dave12308 said:
Yeah, let 'em build a DECENT smartphone, first. LG isn't the first name that pops in my head when I think "Quality Smartphone".

This. I used to own an LG EnV Touch and it broke on me after 5 months of use. LG phones suck. Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums