Sunday Evening Chat: Post CES 2015

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
CES-2015.290x195.jpg

CES 2015 has come and gone and has been well covered by our outstanding news team. In case you missed some of the the events that have taken place at CES I will link those stories below. Though this year it was not a mobile heavy CES there were still quite a few interesting electronic devices shown off this past week.

What were your favorite CES announcements?

What were your least favorite CES announcements?

With so little mobile device coverage do you think we will see anything worthwhile revealed at this year's Mobile World Congress in March?

What do you think will be the next evolution in mobile tech and will we see that this year?

Top CES (or CES related articles) by our news team:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The announcement that interested me the most was Sling TV (Dish s Sling TV Android Forum at DroidForums.net Though I do not think this is the ultimate 'be all' it is the step in the right direction especially for those of us looking to cut the cord. I will look forward to trying it out.

My least favorite announcement, I actually found it comical, was the Sony Walkman ZX2. Sony is looking to bring the most premium mp3 player to the market with the most stable version of android (tongue-in-cheek) 4.2.2. Not sure which will end up being the worst idea, this or that Google is looking to get in the insurance selling business (Google Wants to Sell You Auto Insurance - Digits - WSJ

At MWC I am expecting to see more companies release a smart watch. But as far as mobile tech I feel like we are at a point where the only place we can go is to add more ram, try and be thinner, or try and add more pixel density. Either way those improvements are just something to make the stats sheet look good but really is not a big step in mobile evolution. The next step in evolution would be a fully customizable device where I can use a set up like Moto Maker to build everything from ram, color, battery size, camera size and manufacturer, OS (Android or Windows), skinned (Nexus like with fast updates or manufacturer skins which include bells and whistles), screen size, screen resolution (higher res, or lower res to be more battery efficient), AMOLED, IPS, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly my favorite was defiantly our time with Senseg, even more than the announced items, it seemed like that was going to be the most profound change in at least 5 years to interacting with our devices.

Frankly I can't pin down 1 least favorite. for the most part, there were many somewhat cool announcements, but I was struck by just how little innovation there seemed to be. Most tablets that I saw did not even seem like they needed covering: extra RAM, more On-board memory and the like.

I cant really say about MWC, but I do think that the next big thing in mobile will be all about interface.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm gonna have to side with Macktion as well. Even though I didn't get to actually "feel" what he was describing, just the fact that the surface can be made to fell anything different than just smooth glass is amazing in itself. I can definitely see this taking smartphones into another realm. Just think of how this could be adapted into a device for the blind or visually impaired. Macktion mentioned it and it just resonated with me as I've always felt a deep sense of empathy for those without sight. I am blessed with sight and don't ever take it for granted. What amazes me even more is that those without site are sometimes far more talented than those with. Just look at Stevie Wonder if you doubt that.

Least favorite is definitely the Sony Walkman. Gone are the days where they were the only game in town. They don't have the right nor the market's demand to offer a device that expensive in the midst of competing devices costing mere fractions.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I do like the fact that Sling can be added to current USB sticks already on the market, that's pretty cool.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll have to agree with PC. I guess Sling was the thing that most got me excited. Granted, I didn't see EVERYTHING announced, but I saw a lot of stuff and came away feeling rather overwhelmed this year.

Senseg seems pretty cool in certain applications and I'm sure it seems a lot cooler in person, but I'm one who turns haptic feedback off right away when I get a new device, so even that as a daily use tech doesn't appeal to me as much as for games and fun things like the demos they showed Macktion.