Let's Talk (why one clicks are not helping)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;mc6EMdPpF6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc6EMdPpF6o&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - How to Root the HTC Thunderbolt, Steps 2-9[/video]

The video above is what I used when I first rooted, its very detailed and very well put together. Look at here to see what step :droidlife poseted this

How to: Root the HTC Thunderbolt and Unlock the Bootloader

On 03.20.11, In News, Root (unlock), Thunderbolt, by Kellex

NOTE: AN EASY ROOT METHOD HAS BEEN RELEASED.

The amazing hackers in the Android community took on the HTC Thunderbolt the minute it was released and stumbled upon some not-so-exciting news. It had been completely locked down like no other HTC device in history. While many were quick to yell at HTC, I’m pointing fingers at Verizon and will save further comment for another time. The good news is, Team AndIRC and Scotty2 weren’t about to be stopped and permanently rooted it while also unlocking the bootloader and providing S-OFF.
So who’s ready for some TBolt unlocking? Before you say yes, you need to be thoroughly warned. This requires adb, a mega-list of commands and is one of the most intense rooting procedures I’ve seen in a long time. You are essentially, flashing old system software, unlocking the bootloader, and then re-flashing the release software with S-OFF to open your phone up. Again, this is intense and should only be attempted by those familiar with adb.
*This is not for beginners.

*Fully charge your device before proceeding.

*Read the entire list of instructions at least once through.

*I have not attempted this, but our man Picolas has with success.

*Again, this is not for beginners. This could brick your phone.

Step 1

CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO WALK-THROUGH

First, download these files:
RUU_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.10_Radio_1.02.00.01 03_2r_NV_8k_1.37_9k_1.52_release_165253 (md5sum : aae974054fc3aed275ba3596480ccd5b):
Mirrors for the package (contains busybox, wpthis, psneuter, su, readme.txt, misc.img, and hbooteng.nb0) (md5sum : 3b359efd76aac456ba7fb0d6972de3af):
Custom RUU mirrors (md5sum : aff07b8256628a175c40938d408fa16f):
http://www.multiupload.com/74M2OF579N
Step 2

Note that adb is required.
Push misc.img, busybox, and psnueter using the following commands:
adb push psneuter /data/local/
adb push busybox /data/local/
adb push misc.img /data/local/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
Step 3

This step will gain temp root and flash the custom misc.img. Run:
adb shell
Now the shell should display “$”.
Run:
/data/local/psneuter
You will now be kicked out of adb, and adb will restart as root. Let’s confirm the md5 of misc.img:
adb shell
At this point, the shell should display “#”.
Run:
/data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img
Output should be “c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de.” If it’s anything else, re-download the file and try again.
Now let’s write misc.img:
dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
exit
Step 4

Here you will rename the downgrade RUU as PG05IMG.zip and place it on your SD card. Then, run the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Choose the bootloader option and press power; let the ROM flash. When asked to upgrade, choose yes. Don’t freak, it’s a long reboot. Once done, reboot and delete PG05IMG.zip from your SD card.
Set up the two part exploit, to gain root and unlock MMC.
Push wpthis, busybox, and psnueter:
adb push wpthis /data/local/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/wpthis
Step 5

Next, enter the following commands:
adb shell
/data/local/psneuter
To unlock eMMC:
adb shell
/data/local/wpthis
exit
Step 6

Please pay attention – this is very important. This step involves a small chance of bricking if you mess up.
To push the eng bootloader:
adb push hbooteng.nb0 /data/local/
adb shell
/data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0
If the output does not match “6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb” exactly, stop, delete it, and re-download it. Otherwise, continue.
Now we will write the new bootloader.
dd if=/data/local/hbooteng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
Confirm proper write:
/data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
If the output does not match “6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb,” try again; if it still doesn’t work, seek help from chat.andirc.net in channel #thunderbolt.
DO NOT REBOOT.
Now, reboot your phone and put the custom RUU (PG05IMG.zip) on your SD card. Then flash it. This will upgrade you to release firmware with an S-OFF bootloader.
Next, run this command:
adb reboot bootloader
After it flashes, you will be running release firmware with S-OFF.
Step 7

Push SU, busybox, and psneuter:
adb push su /data/local/
To gain root:
adb shell
/data/local/psneuter
The following will remount /system and set up SU:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/su /system/xbin/su
chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
Step 8

Install Superuser from the Market.
Reboot your phone. You should now have full root permissions.
Step 9

Finally, install ROM Manager and flash the ThunderBolt recovery.

Immolate

Reaction score
Thanks pc747, I'd just located the thread I was following, which is the one you've copied here. It's on step 4. It isn't a problem with the process, but a problem with me figuring out how to copy the file to my sdflash card. Something hinkey going on there.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks pc747, I'd just located the thread I was following, which is the one you've copied here. It's on step 4. It isn't a problem with the process, but a problem with me figuring out how to copy the file to my sdflash card. Something hinkey going on there.

I had the exact same problem. DO you have an sd card reader on your computer or laptop. I had to take the sdcard out my tbolt and put it in my sd card slot on my laptop. That is how I copied the file.

Immolate

Reaction score
I think I have a micro-to-mini sd converter that will work in my laptop, but I'd like to overcome the problem (not to mention I hate trying to pry the back cover off).

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think I have a micro-to-mini sd converter that will work in my laptop, but I'd like to overcome the problem (not to mention I hate trying to pry the back cover off).
That is what I had to use. For some reason when I did that step I did not get my sd card to open up on my laptop. so I put the file on it manually. Then I booted into the bootloader manually, instead of adb reboot bootloader, by powering on and volume down at the same time. Basically you flashing that PG5 file, which if you are familiar with the og droid its like if you wanted to install a rom or a zip file you could rename the file "update.zip" and your phone would read that file as it is an update. Basicallu the htc device reads the PG5 file in a similar manner, except as soon as you boot into the bootloader it automatically starts reading that file.

Immolate

Reaction score
I never rooted my OG Droid, but I used the power up with both volume rockers depressed to put my X into bootloader mode as that was required for RSD Lite to see the phone so I could do an SBF and recover from my latest episode of mischief. Bringing back warm/fuzzy memories already.

Okay so PG5... is equivalent to update.zip on the droid. Good info.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I never rooted my OG Droid, but I used the power up with both volume rockers depressed to put my X into bootloader mode as that was required for RSD Lite to see the phone so I could do an SBF and recover from my latest episode of mischief. Bringing back warm/fuzzy memories already.

Yes but you can not use it to load up roms, all roms and kernels must be installed through custom recovery.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

A lil more equivalent to a .sbf than update.zip but you get the idea :)

This thread has been Thunder struck!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Immolate

Reaction score
Oddly, I plugged my phone in and set it to disk drive and it (eventually) showed me a drive "G" which is the sd card. I wish I'd done something to provoke it but it just happened.

Immolate

Reaction score
Well I maneuvered through it without any scares but with some aggravation. Following the video really helped because some things that are obvious when you watch them are less obvious when you read them.

The aggravation stemmed from the shell prompt. Every time I'd go in to shell I'd get the $ or # prompt as appropriate, then it would kick back to the > after three seconds. I'd have to shell then paste the command and hit enter as fast as I could. Bah. PITA. It was especially difficult on the last three commands that you needed to stay shelled for all three. I actually copied the last three commands, shelled and then pasted them in. The first two executed right away, then I hit enter to execute the last before it dumped me.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm not rooted. I downloaded superuser and then rebooted. The first thing I did after I set up my Google account was download Titanium Backup. It can't get root access, so obviously I did something wrong. I didn't see any error messages but there was a lot of repeating commands because of the shell issues.

I'm willing to try some things if anyone is willing to suggest some things.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you have s-off

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
immolate did you complete step 6 where you pushed hbooteng.nb0 /data/local/