Let's talk tethering, usage limits, warnings, etc......experience welcomed.

maverick31210

Reaction score
So a bit of backstory:

I moved out 2 days ago. Until we get settled and everything is paid off for the first couple months, I plan to tether my phone for internet in the house. My gf and I both tether to my Razr using FoxFi. I keep it at 3G since it is fast enough. I am about ten days into my billing cycle and sitting at 10GBs of usage. A good 3 to 5 of those being in the last two days we moved out. Main reason for that being that we do not have a TV service yet and have been running Netflix all day both watching it and as background noise, coupled with both of our browsing here and there.

My situation is as follows: Had OG D1 with unlimited. Went to T-Bolt and grandfathered into unlimited 4G. Went to Razr and grandfathered into unlimited data. Rarely use 4G though and tether only on 3G.

What are some of your experiences with tethering, limits, warning, fees, etc...I would like to know how long I can save some money before having to get an ISP for the house since money is tight and I am already paying for service from VZW.

droidrazrmaxx

Reaction score
mysticalmalissa said:
I have been using foxfi and/or pdanet, on two of my lines for almost three years, never had a problem with it. Both lines are grandfathered in on the unlimited plan.

How much data, via tether, do you feel you use on average per month over this three year period?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I tether only a handful of times a month and only for when I need a computer. The highest usage I ever had was 9gb and wasn't contacted with a warning or anything. I think as long as you stay within your average range of data usage they won't bug you, and if there is a spike I doubt they bring it up as an issue (I know some on here average 30gb+). Luckily I live in an area with "high traffic" so I manage to stay under the radar even if I do tether.

OP
M

maverick31210

Reaction score
I tether only a handful of times a month and only for when I need a computer. The highest usage I ever had was 9gb and wasn't contacted with a warning or anything. I think as long as you stay within your average range of data usage they won't bug you, and if there is a spike I doubt they bring it up as an issue (I know some on here average 30gb+). Luckily I live in an area with "high traffic" so I manage to stay under the radar even if I do tether.

Can you elaborate on this? I live in Orange County, CA a very high traffic area as well, what difference would this make?

Also I generally average 10-12GBs a month even before I was tethering. Now I managed that in just a couple of days. What I used to do before since 4G is so much quicker than my home WiFi was, I would plug my phone in at work and leave it on my desk as I went about my business and would download any large torrent files and transfer them to my PC when I got home just so I wouldn't have to wait forever for it to download over my regular Wifi.

Anymore input is very much appreciated.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
If you are on unlimited data then use it until you have something set up at home. You will lose unlimited next time you upgrade so you may as well use it to your advantage now. They won't feel guilty charging you overages fees when you are on tiered so don't feel bad using 20, 30, or 40 GB for a month or so.

This post is Incredible 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can you elaborate on this? I live in Orange County, CA a very high traffic area as well, what difference would this make?

Also I generally average 10-12GBs a month even before I was tethering. Now I managed that in just a couple of days. What I used to do before since 4G is so much quicker than my home WiFi was, I would plug my phone in at work and leave it on my desk as I went about my business and would download any large torrent files and transfer them to my PC when I got home just so I wouldn't have to wait forever for it to download over my regular Wifi.

Anymore input is very much appreciated.
High traffic means a lot of people are connected to the tower you're connected on. I Verizon picks out the top 5% and throttles their data, at least to my understanding. I they do not throttle 4G but do throttle 3g last i heard.

And you'll know you're throttled when your speeds suffer greatly. You're only throttled until the end of the billing month cycle.

OP
M

maverick31210

Reaction score
If you are on unlimited data then use it until you have something set up at home. You will lose unlimited next time you upgrade so you may as well use it to your advantage now. They won't feel guilty charging you overages fees when you are on tiered so don't feel bad using 20, 30, or 40 GB for a month or so.

This post is Incredible 2

This is so true, I tend to think the same way.....they will not care when they send those overage charges.

High traffic means a lot of people are connected to the tower you're connected on. I Verizon picks out the top 5% and throttles their data, at least to my understanding. I they do not throttle 4G but do throttle 3g last i heard.

And you'll know you're throttled when your speeds suffer greatly. You're only throttled until the end of the billing month cycle.

This being the case, say I see a huge drop in my 3G speed I can just switch over the 4G. I've been trying to keep it on 3G to somewhat keep usage down but over the weekend we burned through about 16GBS.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is so true, I tend to think the same way.....they will not care when they send those overage charges.

This being the case, say I see a huge drop in my 3G speed I can just switch over the 4G. I've been trying to keep it on 3G to somewhat keep usage down but over the weekend we burned through about 16GBS.
Youre using tethering in a way i never heard of lol. Most that have 4g tend to take advantage of the extra speed. According to your account you should be under 4g plan but im sure verizon has a way to tell which network youre on. As far as i know theyre not throttling 4g

Reaction score
Verizon has no way to tell the difference between your phone using Netflix and your computer using Netflix. I have seen people use upwards of 400GB because because they can. Yes screenshots of the data usage and the Verizon billing page are given. While they can terminate your contact at any given time i have never heard of any carrier doing so without sending warnings first. I've used my phone the same way you are speaking of when i first moved out. I used roughly 50-100GB just tethering my laptop for movies and games until i could get cable. I've never heard a word from Verizon nor was I throttled. I'm not saying you won't but i haven't personally seen anyone that has. Just my $.02

Sent from Razr Maxx running Full Throttle Killer Bean