lets break it down Barney style

OP
J

joebow666

Reaction score
So I've download astro what would I need to do to back everything up?

OP
J

joebow666

Reaction score
So I played around with astro and noticed theirs nothing listed about backing up my data. So my question I have is does it automatically do it or am I blind?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Blind:)

1 Open Astro.
2 Press the menukey, bottom left softkey on your phone.
3 Click on Tools. (looks like a drill)
4 Only 3 options there. Pick the Applications Manager/Backup.

OP
J

joebow666

Reaction score
Yea I totally forgot about that menu button down their LOL. So I have it backed up do I leave it on my phone or is their someway to move it to my computer?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Astro lets you explore both, so you can see where the files went. You backed them up to your card. Anything on your card you can get to your computer. When you apply a 2.1 rom and wipe data the apps wont be on the phone, but will be on the card. Then you can restore using Astro, after you redownload Astro from the market.

OP
J

joebow666

Reaction score
I have insurance on my phone if I do this will it terminate the insurance?

alienware777

Reaction score

Downloading astro? Or rooting it?

Astro is fine. Its just an app in the market. If you root the phone, you will lose your warrenty. However in most cases you can just unroot and verizon will never know :)

OP
J

joebow666

Reaction score

Astro is fine. Its just an app in the market. If you root the phone, you will lose your warrenty. However in most cases you can just unroot and verizon will never know :)

Sorry I was talking about putting a new rom on my phone. Do I have to unroot the phone after I put the rom in? What exactly does rooting do and how do they know you did it?

OP
J

joebow666

Reaction score
How do you know the stats of your phone? Like what your oc to and does your kernel name consist of as in do the different characters mean anything?

alienware777

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

Thats a stickied thread. Ya gotta learn to search man! But anyways, can't tell if you've done it. Thats why so many of us do. You can just remove it from your phone, and there is no evidence of a previous root. You must be rooted for a rom. Once root, never unroot. Unless of course you specifically don't want it anymore.

Last edited:
OP
J

joebow666

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

Thats a stickied thread. Ya gotta learn to search man! But anyways, can't tell if you've done it. Thats why so many of us do. You can just remove it from your phone, and there is no evidence of a previous root. You must be rooted for a rom. Once root, never unroot. Unless of course you specifically don't want it anymore.

I've read it already and it just makes me have more questions. Which is a good thing.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Sorry I was talking about putting a new rom on my phone. Do I have to unroot the phone after I put the rom in? What exactly does rooting do and how do they know you did it?

rooting gives u administrative permissions like on the computer
i.e. giving you more power to do what you want with your phone

im not sure how they can tell you rooted your phone but they can and it voids any warranty/insurance you have on it

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Rooting your phone from a normal perspective doesn't change anything. You get a little app in your drawer (the little ninja) and beyond that really that is all you could tell without some sorts of tests, like trying to run something that requires root access.

I kinda like to think of rooting as becoming the manager of a store. The clerk can do all of the basics, but changing prices, doing returns, and some other things a manager may have to handle. Rooting your phone gives you the ability to do things to your phone someone without the permissions couldn't do. Uninstall/delete a system app (corp cal, visual voicemail, facebook...etc), make backups, install custom backups, install kernels and overclock, theme and many many other things.

Now as far as anything done with the rooting, like the above mentioned things, that is rather easy to tell. They may not notice that you don't have facebook, but a different kernel (for overclocking), firmware version, custom recovery, custom boot animation, and a custom theme is rather easy to spot. I am sure there are other things that are obvious too, but I am just saying in general.

So if you were to ever need to take your phone to VZW, taking her back to stock would definitely be in your best interest. I most certainly would take my phone back to stock, as I don't see any reason not to as it isn't a difficult process. You can create backups that save to your sdcard, so that you can be back to where you were before in no time. Just re-root, re-install the custom recovery, and restore your backup.

To check about your phone. On the main screen click the menu button (4 lines between back and home) > settings > about phone (this is all the way at the bottom). Scroll down that page and it will say stuff that changes when you install a custom ROM (usually at least).