Some definitive answers please

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Use a file explorer with root access to put the .apk in /system/apps where all the others are. Longpress on it and assign permissions.
Post #4
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/angdroid/87770-droid-2-hacking-guide.html

I have a file explorer, "Super Manager", and I browsed through it and found the system/app folder ... I take it I need to transfer it from my computer to my phone using the USB cable? And Thank you! :)

That's correct!

And crap, it's not working. I put it in the Download folder on the SD card first, tried to copy and paste it to system/app and it didn't show up. Then I put it in the root of the SD card, and tried to copy and paste it from there, and it's still not showing up. Any ideas or suggestions?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I have a file explorer, "Super Manager", and I browsed through it and found the system/app folder ... I take it I need to transfer it from my computer to my phone using the USB cable? And Thank you! :)

That's correct!

And crap, it's not working. I put it in the Download folder on the SD card first, tried to copy and paste it to system/app and it didn't show up. Then I put it in the root of the SD card, and tried to copy and paste it from there, and it's still not showing up. Any ideas or suggestions?

Are you currently rooted?

event121

Reaction score

That's correct!

Your File Explorer needs ROOT access. Make sure when copying to /system/app that /system is mounted as r/w (read/write) not r/o (read/only).

I use Root Explorer (paid version) and the option is at the top of every folder I'm in. Always forget to change it :p

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's correct!

Your File Explorer needs ROOT access. Make sure when copying to /system/app that /system is mounted as r/w (read/write) not r/o (read/only).

I use Root Explorer (paid version) and the option is at the top of every folder I'm in. Always forget to change it :p

Super Manager has root access, but I dont see any options for mounting /system as r/w. I'm looking...bear with me.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Super Manager has root access, but I dont see any options for mounting /system as r/w. I'm looking...bear with me.

Just mount it yourself using a terminal emulator.

mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

OK I have it in the system/app folder, although it says "City ID (No Install)"... it gives me an option to install it, I tap that and it says "install system/app/City ID but it still says "No Install"

event121

Reaction score

OK I have it in the system/app folder, although it says "City ID (No Install)"... it gives me an option to install it, I tap that and it says "install system/app/City ID but it still says "No Install"

What about running the file you have from a file explorer (run the file off your SD card). Make sure you allow Unknown Sources if it prompts you.

If that installs, just go back to /system/app and set the permissions.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

What about running the file you have from a file explorer (run the file off your SD card). Make sure you allow Unknown Sources if it prompts you.

If that installs, just go back to /system/app and set the permissions.

It says it installs, but still says "No Install", and it says it has permissions:

android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
android.permission.INTERNET
android.permission.RECEIVE_SMS
android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL

And it does not show in the app tray. I also mounted through terminal emulator as you said and still no change.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the OTA update checks the APK's before installing, does it matter if it's not installed as long as it's in the system/app folder? Or is that part of the checksum that it runs on the APK? I'm wondering if I should try the update and see if it fails or not, if it fails it wont unroot the phone will it? It will just fail... I'm is soooo confused LOL

event121

Reaction score
If the OTA update checks the APK's before installing, does it matter if it's not installed as long as it's in the system/app folder? Or is that part of the checksum that it runs on the APK? I'm wondering if I should try the update and see if it fails or not, if it fails it wont unroot the phone will it? It will just fail... I'm is soooo confused LOL

Try it. If it fails, it is extremely easy to re-root:
Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers
2.3.20 1 Click Root

pool_shark

Reaction score
Did you reboot after putting the file in /system/app?

When I move files in and out of the directory I type sync. I don't know if root explorer does that or not, but I'm sure a reboot will if you don't want to use the command line.

If the update fails, it just fails, it will not unroot.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did you reboot after putting the file in /system/app?

When I move files in and out of the directory I type sync. I don't know if root explorer does that or not, but I'm sure a reboot will if you don't want to use the command line.

If the update fails, it just fails, it will not unroot.

I tried again after a reboot, still says "No Install"... so I am going to try the update and see if it fails or not. If it fails I guess I'm just meant to be rooted and not updated... here goes nothing. LOL

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well hush my mouth and call me updated... the update was successful. LMAO When it rebooted it stayed on the red eye for a long time, had me sweating bullets LOL.

Now all I gotta do is re-root it. Thanks gang for all the help... very much appreciated. You guys and gals ROCK. Sorry to be a PITA. :)

ricepilof

Reaction score
Do you need all the stock apps like cardock and blockbuster in order for this update to work successfully? Are there any lists of stock apps, I removed a bunch of them when I rooted my phone and don't remember all of them. Also, do you just need the apk file in the system app folder cause I noticed apps like car dock have a .odex file which I found from this link: http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/ and if so do the .odex files need to go in the system app folder too? I keep getting a failed message when installing the new update (2.3) Thanks in advance.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you need all the stock apps like cardock and blockbuster in order for this update to work successfully? Are there any lists of stock apps, I removed a bunch of them when I rooted my phone and don't remember all of them. Also, do you just need the apk file in the system app folder cause I noticed apps like car dock have a .odex file which I found from this link: http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/ and if so do the .odex files need to go in the system app folder too? I keep getting a failed message when installing the new update (2.3) Thanks in advance.

To my knowledge, yes the stock apps have to be in there for the update to work. The update runs checksums on the installed apps and if you are getting a fail, that's probably why. I had deleted 3 stock apps when I rooted, and 2 of them were downloadable from the market. Someone gave me the link to download the "City ID" apk file, and I had to use a file manager to put it in the apps folder where it belonged. Now it would not install, and it said "No Install" next to it. But the update was still successful even though it wasn't "installed". If that would be the case with all of the apps you deleted, I do not know. It worked on that one app for me, but I cant honestly say if it would work for the others you deleted. And as for the .odex files, I do not have any knowledge about that subject. Someone with more knowledge on that subject would have to answer that question for you. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'm still learning too. :)