LED notifications

jed607

Reaction score
Are alternate color notifications somehow incompatible with froyo? I used to use missed call to set different colors for certain contacts when they'd text/call me, and now it doesn't work and from my brief research on the subject it seems as though it is not just the app, but something within the froyo source code. Sapphire .7 is my favorite rom as of late (especially with the blue smoked glass theme - btw I added progress_horizontal.xml to the framework/drawable folder and can post the file if anyone else wants their volume/progress bar color changed from yellowish orange to blue) and was curious if anyone had found a solution to this issue or could clarify if it is indeed inherent in froyo or if it could potentially be fixed via custom rom? :)

Last edited:
OP
J

jed607

Reaction score
Below is the link for adamz's blue progress_horizontal.xml file, it is not my own work and have simply taken this from his smoked glass framework from ese51. Just put it in the system/framework/framework-res.apk/drawable/ folder to replace the other xml file and voila!

Again, all credit goes to adamz!

progress_horizontal.xml

LED notifications, anyone? :)

Last edited:

ralgrl73

Reaction score
I'm new to the Android OS and the Droid X. I had the Storm2 and prior to that the Curve. I'm loving the new phone. Wow!!! But, there is one thing I really really really miss: LED notifications.

I'm the type of user who prefers to have my phone on silent most of the time so I became very used to relying on the color of the blinking LED to tell me what was going on (of course, the blinking LED would blink even when the phone wasn't in silent mode). There's an app for Blackberry, BeBuzz, by BellShare (Bellshare - BerryBuzz) that allows full customization of the blinking LED. It's awesome. I could even customize down to the specific person's action, not just the general action. I'm going through some major withdrawal now that I don't have this. I downloaded Blink but it is absolutely and utterly pathetic compared to BeBuzz. There's really no comparison. I can't believe for all that Android is capable of that there's not an app that's just like BeBuzz. Surely there are other users out there who would like to get very customized with their LED light? I miss something as simple as being out shopping and opening my purse and just glancing at my phone to see what color it was blinking (if a certain someone made contact then a certain color would blink and I'd know whether I wanted to pull the phone out of my purse). Sigh.

Is there anyone else out there in a similar boat? :)

Scallywag1

Reaction score
Try rooting your phone. Or use handcent SMS and that gives u option. Gmail app and talk app also allow you to use LED.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

ralgrl73

Reaction score
Try rooting your phone. Or use handcent SMS and that gives u option. Gmail app and talk app also allow you to use LED.

Thanks for the reply!

My phone is rooted. How does that make a difference?

Through Blink I've set SMS/MMS to flash green. Then, in Handcent I used the settings for one particular individual's txts to flash red, but that doesn't work... his texts still flash green.

Regardless, Blink is still pathetic. If I wanted all Facebook notifications to blink a certain color I don't have that option in Blink. It's an option in BeBuzz. That's just one example.

I'm holding out hope that one day soon someone will make an app (which I would gladly pay for) that's as good as I know it can be. :)

Scallywag1

Reaction score
I thought I saw an app for this on xda somewhere for rooted users....could be wrong. My handcent blinks blue when inter a sms. My phone blinks green for email. That was all I needed. I came from blackberry as well and bebuzz was a very useful app...but I'd gladly sacrifice led for a way better phone/OS

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
The app Missed Call allows for customized LED notifications for calls, emails, and SMS.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Its lame that no apps have been able to take advantage of all that the LED can do, but heres how I have it setup

I use 3 programs to get my LED configured the way I want.

Missed Call- call colors, can set generic call color, as well as caller specific colors
Gmail Notifier- set gmail colors, cant set sender specific
Handcent- use for texting, and can set specific sender colors

For example, here is what that gives me

Missed calls show orange, but when my fiancee calls, they show purple.
gmails show light blue
imap emails show green (the standard green)
texts show dark blue, but fiancee texts are purple

Also, if you use these, you have to turn off led notifications in the standard app, thats why you are still seeing green instead of red

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Missed Call- call colors, can set generic call color, as well as caller specific colors

Yahoo really needs to get on the ball with their email app to allow LED customization. Not to mention sound and vibrate customization...

ralgrl73

Reaction score

Yahoo really needs to get on the ball with their email app to allow LED customization. Not to mention sound and vibrate customization...

Amen! I use Yahoo as my main email, not gmail, so I don't care if I can set a gmail LED color. I want a yahoo color. Actually, I have two yahoo email accounts, so to differentiate between the two would be fantastic.

I really can't believe Android doesn't have anything like BeBuzz. Oh well... I'll miss BeBuzz and maybe one day I'll just forget about it :(

T

TheAlpha

Hello everybody! I was wondering if i can be told what the each light color stands for on the Droid RAZR on the front of the phone? I know red means my battery is 15% or lower ans green means I have a notification and so does blue but idk which is which. Can somebody help me out? thx:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

kenglishj

Reaction score
Vote for BeBuzz for Android!

For anyone who is viewing this thread again and wants BeBuzz for android (as its like the first page on a Google search), go to the bellshare company website, they have a suggestion thing you can vote on. Here is the link:

BeBuzz for Android

Best part is, no login or registration required. Hopefully with enough votes we might get it! :D

Last edited: